What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volvo Audi - 2 Ltr petrol non Turbo options plus VAG 1.9TDI - Jetsam1

Seeing as I missed the Subarus (all sold!!!!) I was pointed to a 2ltr non turbo Audi Avant B7 which has also already sold. My usual pattern.

I have been trying to find NA 2 ltr petrols as I do have a 3 hour round trip to the office once or twice a week and for larger cars the 1.6 and 1.8 feel that they be tiring to drive. But, lots of little trips mean a turbo may be best avoided.

Volvo V50 Estate 2ltr. Looks in good condition, under 100,000 miles and even comes with winter and summer wheels. Quite a high spec as well. Never sat in one though so not sure if the reputation of them being a little cosy is a problem or not. Should be alright to drive as it is a Focus underneath. Engine would be Mazda wouldn't it?

Audi A4 saloon 2 ltr. NA engine and seems in very good condition with acceptable level of miles. A saloon though, never had a saloon car before. There is an Avant with the same engine as well locally but a year older and annoyingly with a cassette payer specced (this comes with two sets of tires though and is from an Audi main dealer). There is one other that is quite a bit further away.

Wildcard. Just seen a very local A4 Avant 2008 with the 1.9 tdi with 116 HP in a good spec and looking very clean. Had this engine in a 68HP version in a LWB Transporter and it handled the Autobahn even in the Bavarian hills perfectly fine. This would handle my usage and with 150k miles should have plenty of life. This one is a private seller. Must say I am tempted even though it is a diesel and I said no diesels this time..............

Outside of this the usual Fords and Opels. Have specifically avoided Skoda and VW due to the early 1.4 tsi engine issues. I have decided to keep to a very strict budget to avoid the fun of car finance and I do like owning cars outright. These are all double the price of the UK but we don't have the salting so much and the air is much dryer generally! All cars subject to all electronics especially the air con working of course. The 3 hour round trip to the office has made me thing to stick to normal cars as it would be much more calm and comfortable driving.

Talking to myself/at you/with you once again!

Edit: Mazda 6s are about but almost all the 1.8 ltr, same for the 5. The Toyotas in budget look trashed and tired sadly.

Edited by Jetsam1 on 10/01/2023 at 11:35

Volvo Audi - 2 Ltr petrol non Turbo options plus VAG 1.9TDI - Big John

I'd normally say no to diesels these days but I must admit I've seem some amazing condition Audi A4's around. I had a 100ps 1.9 pd diesel in my 2003 Skoda Superb and it tugged that car along surprisingly well and they are generally capable of star ship mileages. BUT check if the engine has a DPF - most 1.9 pd's don't but leading up to 2010 a few did - the implementation is not great due to the way pd injection works.

The other issue with diesels these days of course relates to ULEZ in major city centers.

Edited by Big John on 10/01/2023 at 17:15

Yes indeed. I know I am limiting myself quite a bit but Audis are everywhere here and the parts are not expensive.

I am seriously thinking about the Volvo as the most recent car and lowest mileage. But condition is everything.

The local mechanic we go to runs a Volvo.....

With the Audis I know they will be comfortable on the motorway and to be shallow for a moment the styling has aged very well and they still look quite nice I think.

Applying all the knowledge from this forum you end up automatically discounting 90% of all cars but eventually you have to just make a decision. The current 2008 Accord would be fine but weird things have happened to the bonnet paintwork and at 430,000km too. It was a fleet car and I really don't think the previous owner looked after it much outside of the full service history.

Forgot to mention my neighbour has a 1.9pd 2002 Audi A4 Avant. Body isn't the best (but I've seen loads in fab condition re body) but the running gear going strong with nearly 400k miles on the clock. 150k barely run in but listen out for DMF noises. Also with the A4 check that it's dry under the carpets. Well know for blocked plenum drains and rotten seals re heating system between plenum and car interior.

Volvo Audi - 2 Ltr petrol non Turbo options plus VAG 1.9TDI - Steveieb

I too have a 2003 B7 Audi 1.9:Tdi and I’m constantly amazed how well it has stood up to tge 175 k miles.

The front wings are getting a bit shoddy but that’s down to the soundproofing which trapped the moisture, but underneath it’s solid with the same exhaust as when new and surprisingly clutch and DMF.

The engine is 130 bhp which I’m told is the best combination for gear ratios and the fuel consumption is amamazing.

The north south engine configuration is brilliant and the sound proofing quietens the car to almost petrol levels.

Driving other cars with the 1.9 engine like the Octavia makes you realise how good these cars are. The Avants fetch amazing money up to £5k for low mileage.

Be sure to check the air con because finding a replacement compressor is very difficult and I had my old one refurbished

The front wings are getting a bit shoddy but that’s down to the soundproofing which trapped the moisture, but underneath it’s solid with the same exhaust as when new and surprisingly clutch and DMF.

I sold my Superb mkI back in 2015 which shared the same oily bits as the A4 & Passat of the era inc inline orientation of the engine/gear box etc but I've heard sadly it has just gone to the big scrapyard in the sky - ingress of water into the sills eventually caused terminal rust / big MOT fail. However interestingly it also still had its original exhaust, clutch and DMF although the latter was getting noisy at the end. It had not long since had it's original Varta battery replaced. To be fair it had nearly done 300k miles.

I do miss 750+ miles range on a tank full of diesel! The new owner managed 800.

Volvo Audi - 2 Ltr petrol non Turbo options plus VAG 1.9TDI - Steveieb

Sadly we may never return to the era when these German cars were produced to such a high standard and with indestructible mechanicals.

Cost cutting has had a tremendous effect on quality and reliability , such as the VAG self destructing chains , but the final nail in the coffin was the ever demanding Euro emission rules which manufacturers were forced to comply with .

Yes, once you take out Vauxhall and Ford and all the TSI Volkswagens there really is not much left really.

I am really thinking I will just go for the Volvo (not really wanting to travel hours for a car), seems ok with the lowest miles and the newest as well being 2009.

I will look at the A4s too even just to see how they are. If I go Audi I may just go and see if the 1.9 is still available and do a deal, it is not clear at all which ones had DPFs and which not.But the 2.0 petrol at the VW garage is looking OK even though a basic spec.

Discounted the 1.8 petrol Mazdas as I think on the motorway they would just annoy a bit. Very few 2.0 engines about and all 2 hours away.

One Subaru Forester 2006 petrol is still there at budget.............

Not going back to anything smaller as the Fabia I had was awful and tiring as a motorway car. I have to do at least one 3 hour round trip to the office a week and this may be going up as well.

I would probably just be ok with diesel with this pattern of usage but only with that 1.9 (couple of 2007 Octavia estates as well with this engine but the 105 HP versions).

I am trying not to use finance this time so really limiting me.The Volvo V50 and the Audis are all 5 to 6000 pounds, nothing decent lower than this really.

Later small cc tsi cambelt engines are good.

Skoda Superb? I've had two.

I have the old EA111 engine in a mkII, I bought cheap in 2015 pre dieselgate. I risked it despite knowing the issues with the turbo/supercharged versions. Mine is the 125ps lower powered version with turbo only and it's a very late/last 2014 version of the engines hopefully gremlins sorted. Thus far I've done well over 100kmiles and all good. My previous was a 1.9pd mkI. To be honest my purchase was so cheap I kept money remaining in my savings just in case - but it was a different financial & car(diesel, ahem) climate then.

How about the first of the mkIII? (2015/16)- the later 1.4ea211 seems to be well regarded and lasting the test of time.

All the Superbs I've owned or driven have been fabulous motorway cars.

Edited by Big John on 11/01/2023 at 19:37

Later small cc tsi cambelt engines are good.

Skoda Superb? I've had two.

I have the old EA111 engine in a mkII, I bought cheap in 2015 pre dieselgate. I risked it despite knowing the issues with the turbo/supercharged versions. Mine is the 125ps lower powered version with turbo only and it's a very late/last 2014 version of the engines hopefully gremlins sorted. Thus far I've done well over 100kmiles and all good. My previous was a 1.9pd mkI. To be honest my purchase was so cheap I kept money remaining in my savings just in case - but it was a different financial & car(diesel, ahem) climate then.

How about the first of the mkIII? (2015/16)- the later 1.4ea211 seems to be well regarded and lasting the test of time.

All the Superbs I've owned or driven have been fabulous motorway cars.

Keeping away from finance this time and buying outright. 2014 and over cars are a big step up in cost that would def need the finance option. Over here used cars get pricey quickly and even 5k Sterling won't get you past 2008 really. Seen early 2000s Mondeos for 3k Sterling equivalent.

This car will be for around 3 years and sell and then hopefully things have calmed down and the more modern Skodas are in reach. I am wanting to buy outright for cash!!

But, the climate is generally drier and less salt in the air and roads. I have a very good local mechanic and VAG spares are easy and much cheaper than anything Japanese.

There are 2007 Octavias with the 105 HP 1.9 as well that are worth a look. These are still classed as decent smart cars really. I had a 68hp version in a LWB Transporter and it was more than fine.

Replacing a 420k Km 2008 Accord Estate, just getting cosmetically tired and the little niggles starting. Was a fleet car in Denmark originally nd I would love to know what the driver did to it........ Needs a respray on the bonnet and bits of rust developing on the sills but engine etc is fine. I will miss the power of the 2.2 tdi engine though.

Edited by Jetsam1 on 11/01/2023 at 19:56

There are 2007 Octavias with the 105 HP 1.9 as well that are worth a look. These are still classed as decent smart cars really. I had a 68hp version in a LWB Transporter and it was more than fine.

Ah if buying at that age consider looking at the 1.6 8v petrol mpi engine in the Octavia. These are sturdy, reliable and long lived if not quite as economical as the later tsi engines. You also might find a genuine low mileage version . In the UK there was a low priced run out model using this engine.

Edited by Big John on 11/01/2023 at 23:37