What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - Maxime.

After reading the Jagar i pace post..

One of oue neighbours had his range rover stolen just before christmas.

He is quite realaxed (pleased?) about it...

and secondly had bought a Mercedes to replace it.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - Xileno

Many are stolen to order unfortunately.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-64151619

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - John F

Beggars belief that a car costing more than three times the gross UK median income can be unlocked so quickly and easily by acquiring a bit of nefarious IT knowledge. Looks as though an old mechanical steering wheel lock would have been more effective.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - gordonbennet

Indeed John F, and i'm yet to hear of any meaningful benefit to this keyless fad, like the electric park brake i haven't spent the last 50 years and millions of miles wishing someone would invent either.

More tat to go wrong and made thieves lives easier to boot, brilliant, have a cigar Claude for that masterpiece of design.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - Engineer Andy

Indeed John F, and i'm yet to hear of any meaningful benefit to this keyless fad, like the electric park brake i haven't spent the last 50 years and millions of miles wishing someone would invent either.

More tat to go wrong and made thieves lives easier to boot, brilliant, have a cigar Claude for that masterpiece of design.

The keyless entry system, a fix to a problem that never existed. Plus all those countless tales of woe regarding broken handbrake cables.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - Andrew-T

Indeed John F, and i'm yet to hear of any meaningful benefit to this keyless fad, like the electric park brake i haven't spent the last 50 years and millions of miles wishing someone would invent either. More tat to go wrong and made thieves lives easier to boot, brilliant, have a cigar Claude for that masterpiece of design.

I reckon these things are mostly the result of vanity projects encouraged by manufacturers anxious to 'enhance' their next model, and designed by a younger generation accustomed to their lives becoming increasingly computerised - which obviously means 'better'.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - Brit_in_Germany

You can add power assisted steering to that list. If you are not man enough to be able to steer a car without, you shouldn't be driving.

I would rather they took a replaceable and presumably insured object than come into my house threatening me for the keys. These organised criminals are nasty pieces of work. It happened to someone on this very forum some years ago, I think it was a relatively humble Favia vRS. Free virtual pint to the person who can find it!

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - maz64

It happened to someone on this very forum some years ago, I think it was a relatively humble Favia vRS. Free virtual pint to the person who can find it!

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=82518 ?

Well done, the pint of Stella is yours :-)

I had forgotten is was Avant, what a horrible experience for him and the family.

I'm sure there was another one where someone was threatened with a knife. Maybe on another forum.

Cheers :)

I'm sure there was another one where someone was threatened with a knife. Maybe on another forum.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=55381 ?

That google thing is pretty good.

Well done. I'm pleased my memory is still good back to 2007...

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - expat

I had forgotten is was Avant, what a horrible experience for him and the family.

There is an urban myth (at least I hope it is a myth) of the car that had fingerprint recognition to start it and the thieves cut off the owners hand.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - alan1302

There is an urban myth (at least I hope it is a myth) of the car that had fingerprint recognition to start it and the thieves cut off the owners hand.

I think it's a myth as if your finger is cut off then it can't be read by the reader due to the way it works.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - groaver

You can add power assisted steering to that list. If you are not man enough to be able to steer a car without, you shouldn't be driving.

:-0

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - Adampr

I'm sure people (of any sex) are 'man' enough to steer. The last non-assisted car I had was an MGF about 8 years ago. It was fine to drive but a real chore to park.

I agree on keyless entry and electronic parking brakes, though. I just saw someone elsewhere asking how to disengage the rear brakes on a Skoda Karoq to change pads. Apparently, your choices are to connect to the OBD port or leave the engine running...

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - movilogo

Many Toyota RAV4 being stolen under 2 minutes. Toyota forums have plenty of posts about it. Thieves get access to CANBUS by bending passenger side front wheel arch plastic cover. The CANBUS is not encrypted so they attach some device to start the car and run away. It does not require key at all and does not consist of typical keyless relay attack.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - Lee Power

Many Toyota RAV4 being stolen under 2 minutes. Toyota forums have plenty of posts about it. Thieves get access to CANBUS by bending passenger side front wheel arch plastic cover. The CANBUS is not encrypted so they attach some device to start the car and run away. It does not require key at all and does not consist of typical keyless relay attack.

CAN invader theft - as Toyota / Lexus updated there keyless fob system to stop the relay theft method, the car theft gangs have come up with a new theft method.

Its a massive problem over in Japan, Japanese Police have recovered a device the gangs / thieves where using & Toyota / Lexus are a wear plus working on a solution.

The problem has now appeared in the UK & is starting to appear over in the USA.

Its advisable to fit a decent steering wheel lock & also not rely on the inbuilt location services as the thieves disable that.

As for Land / Range Rover, I've seen videos of the tools used by the thieves to steal these via the OBD port in action & every time Land / Range Rover update the security to defeat the tool, shortly afterwards whoever is making the theft tools updates them to defeat the latest JLR security update.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - movilogo

I can understand thieves targeting luxury Range Rovers. But RAV4 is bit odd target as its interior is tractor like and many of them are not even 4WD.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - Adampr

They're stealing them to export. It used to happen with Peugeot 504s all the time too, it just depends on what's popular in the target market.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - ExA35Owner

Memories of neighbours with the ultimate Friday car, a Renault 30. So many things fixed (repeatedly) under warranty. Took to hoping it would be stolen, even left it with keys in, Unfortunately the car tealing fraternity had better taste!

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - Lee Power

100% correct.

Range Rovers & Rav4 both mostly stolen for export but there being sent to different parts of the world.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - RT

Power steering isn't that simple - when fitted, the steering ratio is usually increased, so less steering wheel turning to get the car round a given radius, "quicker" in motoring language

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - Big John

The last car we had without power steering or even servo brakes was a 1984 VW Polo owned for 19 years. Good car but I don't think we'd want to go back. It was a second car and felt really heavy compared to our shiny new 2001 Skoda Octavia. If you had been driving the Polo for a while and hopped into the Octavia you just about put people through the windscreen on the first press on the brake pedal.

Re KESSY etc Going forward I'm trying to avoid by buying poverty spec models - also don't want anything with basic functions such as heating controls on a touch screen.

Edited by Big John on 08/01/2023 at 20:54

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - bathtub tom

F-I-L had a Volvo 360 (2-litre lump under the bonnet). They had no power steering and 155x13 tyres. Presumably the narrow tyres were to help reduce the steering loads, but did absolutely nothing for turn-in and braking.

My OAP parents had a 1.0 Micra (mk2) without PAS many years ago. Drove it once - couldn't believe how much effort it took to turn 90 degrees at a junction. Can only imagine that big cars used to have very low geared steering? Although of course they were lighter back in the day.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - expat

I take it that you have never tried to park an Austin 1800.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - John F

I take it that you have never tried to park an Austin 1800.

Makers have the impossible task of designing cars comfortable for the broad spectrum of the human race, e.g. from Yuja Wang to Tyson Fury.

Dear madf, I was not exactly being serious with my comment - it was a response to people indicating that they did not approve of such 'modern' developments such as electronic handbrakes and the like.

My view is that anything which makes driving less of a chore is a good thing. For example, with mechanical handbrakes, I remember my mum having to use two hands to apply it because she didn't have enough strength left in one arm. How she would have loved a simple button.

All clear now?

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 11/01/2023 at 15:07

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - focussed

A lot of cars are sold to the laydeez nowadays remember, - they wouldn't buy a car where they would have to have arm muscles like Arnie.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - madf

A lot of cars are sold to the laydeez nowadays remember, - they wouldn't buy a car where they would have to have arm muscles like Arnie.

ANYONE who is elderly NEEDS power steering.

ANYONE who suggests power steering is not needed must be young. And does not park in cities.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - alan1302

ANYONE who suggests power steering is not needed must be young. And does not park in cities.

Did elderly people not drive cars before power steering appeared on cars?

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - galileo

Did elderly people not drive cars before power steering appeared on cars?

Yes, my small, 78 year old lady neighbour had a Peugeot without PAS and managed well enough. She once asked me to move it into my drive to make space in hers for a visiting relative, compared with my car it did seem heavy, but not a problem.

My previous 20 + cars didn't have that, I think the Peugeot 504 7-seater estate was quite an effort to park in a tight space, but that was a long time back.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - gordonbennet

I had to overinflate the front tyres of my ex MiL's Golf mk2 Diesel so she could park the thing, also had to retrofit Ferodo brake pads and shoes so she could stop the car, not an especially old lady at that time but cars from those days, particularly FWD models could be heavy to drive.

Those cars were on sensible tyre sizes too, you would struggle to find anything much wider than a 560 (cross ply) or 175 radial section tyre on a car without power steering after the 70's.

The Mail goes into a bit more depth - at least a Volvo and a Rolls Royce Dawn also being recovered. High end vehicles being targeted to order.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Stolen Range Rover - veloceman
Alfa Giulia and Stelvio are currently stolen by thieves being able to start the car via the radar in the front grill.
Fiat 500 and Abarth (not keyless) via the OBD port. Seen CCTV that al this can be done in less than 40secs.
Still, rather this than the frightening experience of those in the 2 links above.