What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Sx4 cross all grip tcss - Dean80

This is one of many cars I am debating whether to get

On the true mpg there is 1.6 DDIS ALL GRIP real mpg average 55 out of 64. And 1.6 DDIS ALL GRIP TCSS 67.3 mpg over 100 percent of what Suzuki claims 62.8 mpg.

I've looked online to try and find a TCSS model to buy and can't find one only the 64 mpg versions. What is the TCSS and how do I find one on the searches.

Also considering swift all grip. Previous and new version. Ignis all grip. Vitara all grip. Peugeot 2008, or ditching all grip/4wd for LPG Dacia

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Sx4 cross all grip tcss - badbusdriver

TCSS is a dual clutch automated manual transmission. And while some are better than others in terms of reliability, it certainly isn't a type of automatic I'd be too keen on getting. Too complex for their own good.

I'd imagine 80+ % of people who think they need 4wd could actually manage perfectly well in a 2wd car equipped with decent quality all season or winter tyres.

So can't say for certain if you do, but I suspect you probably could. And as you are thinking about it yourself, presumably you feel the same way.

As for what you should get, we'd need more info about what the car has to do in order to make useful suggestions.

Re LPG, as it isn't anything like as common or popular as it once was, I'd be looking closely at availability in your area before going any further down that particular road.

You also seem to be fixated on efficiency, but unless you do big miles (15k +), this is unlikely to be as big a factor as reliability.

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Sx4 cross all grip tcss - John F

I'd imagine 80+ % of people who think they need 4wd could actually manage perfectly well in a 2wd car equipped with decent quality all season or winter tyres.

I wonder what percentage of car buyers think they need 4wd? Unless they are farmers or vets, I think 99% of UK car buyers could manage perfectly well with 2wd. Unless you are a petrolhead enthusiast, 4wd is a needless and expensive facility. Indeed, it often detracts from the functionality of the vehicle in that the body design has to incorporate the extra mechanical bits, even if they are not offered in 2wd versions, e.g. Audi Q2. This can result in a waste of space and a higher floor. One of the reasons we chose our Peugeot 2008 was its front 2wd design, enabling easy access to the low lip-free rear loading area.

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Sx4 cross all grip tcss - Engineer Andy

I wonder what percentage of car buyers think they need 4wd? Unless they are farmers or vets, I think 99% of UK car buyers could manage perfectly well with 2wd. Unless you are a petrolhead enthusiast, 4wd is a needless and expensive facility. Indeed, it often detracts from the functionality of the vehicle in that the body design has to incorporate the extra mechanical bits, even if they are not offered in 2wd versions, e.g. Audi Q2. This can result in a waste of space and a higher floor. One of the reasons we chose our Peugeot 2008 was its front 2wd design, enabling easy access to the low lip-free rear loading area.

To be fair, some people who live in very rural areas (especially if their home is down an unpaved road or one that is regularly used by farm vehicles) may need a 4WD vehicle, but often a better choice of car to suit the locale and wheel & (type and size of) tyre is often a far cheaper way of achieving the same or even a better outcome than just buying 'any' 4WD car.

Narrow cars or ones with a decent amount of ground clearance can also be useful.

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Sx4 cross all grip tcss - RT

There's a lot of car features that most of us don't actually need, - but freedom of choice allows us to pay for features we think are desirable.

Let's all buy a Toyota Aygo - no-one "needs" anything more!

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Sx4 cross all grip tcss - Metropolis.
Here here. We arent communists, we can have what we want (if we work for it) as opposed to being focused purely on need.
Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Sx4 cross all grip tcss - gordonbennet
Here here. We arent communists, we can have what we want (if we work for it) as opposed to being focused purely on need.

Agree with you both, we already have enough with policians and other professional busybodies wanting to dictate everything about our lives, i for one just want to be left alone.

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Sx4 cross all grip tcss - edlithgow

Well, some of us are. But we can't "have what we want" (even if we could afford it) anyway. We can have what they sell, and since I don't need it, I don't want it.

In the Imperial War Museum, there's an LRDG truck that was found abandoned deep in the Libyan(?) desert and recovered to the UK.

Its just as they found it, no paint, rotted tyres, but still some oil caking the sump. I think its the most effective exhibit they have.

2WD drive Chevrolet.

When I was in Morocco in the 80's you could buy very similar looking locally assembled trucks brand new, with paint and suchlike brand-newness, but I doubt you still can.

Edited by edlithgow on 01/01/2023 at 11:19

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Sx4 cross all grip tcss - RT

In the Imperial War Museum, there's an LRDG truck that was found abandoned deep in the Libyan(?) desert and recovered to the UK.

Its just as they found it, no paint, rotted tyres, but still some oil caking the sump. I think its the most effective exhibit they have.

2WD drive Chevrolet.

When I was in Morocco in the 80's you could buy very similar looking locally assembled trucks brand new, with paint and suchlike brand-newness, but I doubt you still can.

Both the LRDG and SAS used 2wd trucks because they were lighter than their 4wd alternatives and therefore easier to dig out of the sand when they did get stuck - the SAS then moved onto Willys jeeps, which were 4wd but lightweight.

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Sx4 cross all grip tcss - John F

In the Imperial War Museum, there's an LRDG truck that was found abandoned deep in the Libyan(?) desert and recovered to the UK.......2WD drive Chevrolet. .

Both the LRDG and SAS used 2wd trucks because they were lighter than their 4wd alternatives and therefore easier to dig out of the sand when they did get stuck

When crossing the Sahara on my way home from Zambia I remember proceeding in our 2wd Toyota Crown on its widish tyres past 4wd Land Rovers which the on-board beardies had dug themselves in up to their axles. (That was the easy bit - but 2wd even got us through Zaire up to the Central African Republic) You really do not need 4wd in the UK.....although my W12 Audi would be a bit twitchy without it.

I'd think range (The R in LRDG) and carrying capacity would be very important, since they went out a long way and were out there for a long time, and provided support for other units such as the SAS.

AFAIK, British military vehicles of the time (even tanks) were exclusively petrol rather than diesel, and a big petrol 4WD would have been rather thirsty

Car would be used mainly for work (NHS) and just around town. Maybe one or two long trips a year.

Do around 10k miles I would estimate. Estimated monthly cost on swift all grip new shape £90.90 based on 154p a litre. Current car diesel I would say I pay double that and that's using Costco.

Need something reliable and want to lower the fuel cost and insurance cost. Other considerations parts prices and tyres. I can't even get all season or winter for my rear axle size. And cheapest I've seen are £180 each.

And need it to be able to be used in bad conditions.

LpG wise. There is a supermarket garage near me currently 70 odd pence. Has crossed my mind though what if they stop selling it

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Sx4 cross all grip tcss - paul 1963

Also considering swift all grip. Previous and new version. Ignis all grip. Vitara all grip. Peugeot 2008, or ditching all grip/4wd for LPG Dacia

I had the previous generation swift 4x4, fine car, the 4x4 system on mine was automatic, handled like a go kart, nothing broke in the 3 years I had it, currently have a mild hybrid Vitara although 2wd it still grips well and we find it very comfortable and quiet, goes well as well!

Read fiestas do ok in bad weather due to safety systems and 15 wheels. But bad reliability rating

Bought swift all grip 2019 reg. Pick up Tuesday. Thanks for all input

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Sx4 cross all grip tcss - mcb100
It was a new acronym for me, but apparently it’s Twin Clutch System by Suzuki. So it’s an automatic.
I doubt anyone will use its in-house name, so just look for SX-4 autos post September 2015 at SZ5 grade. I think lower grades retained the CVT.
media.suzuki.co.uk/models/sx4-s-cross-2013-2016

Edited by mcb100 on 31/12/2022 at 09:35

Probably also worth pointing out that the 1.6 diesel in the SX4 you are looking at is a Fiat unit and not the most reliable. If you are doing the mileage to justify a diesel it may be fine, but I'd still be reluctant.

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Sx4 cross all grip tcss - gordonbennet

Be careful re LPG Dacias, they have the continental filling point and require an adaptor to fill at UK filling points, the problem is that Morrisons and Sainsbury sites (possibly others) have banned adaptors due to damage being caused to their equipment.

I still see people using adaptors at my regular Morrisons filling point, which is slightly out of sightline of the kiosk, and to be fair the staff may not wish to get involved in confrontation with the type who deliberately ignore clear signage.

It would be possible to have a UK fill point fitted but it probably wouldn't fit behind the fuel flap where the Dacia continental fitting resides, and if you lease or long term rent the vehicle the vehicle owner may object to having a 3" hole cut into the bodywork or bumper.

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Sx4 cross all grip tcss - Terry W

There are very few places in the UK that require 4WD to get around town - possibly small town in remote places - Cumbria, Northumberland, Highlands etc.

Living up a muddy track or using lots of single track roads - you may find a 4x4 useful.

Otherwise 2WD will suffice for 99.9% of journeys.

It will take years of fuel savings to cover the cost to change + additional depreciation or lease costs.. 10k pa at 30mpg = 333gals. At 50 mpg = 200 gals. Cost of 133 gals is ~£1k pa.

Man maths can prove the saving is higher, or the reliability need more profound. Reality is that a 2WD with decent all season tyres will probably meet all your needs around town.

Read fiestas do ok in bad weather due to safety systems and 15 wheels. But bad reliability rating

All cars of a given type (supermini in the case of a Fiesta), and of a similar position within the range are going to have more or less the same safety systems. The Fiesta is no better than any other supermini in this respect.

It is not the diameter of the wheels that matter in poor conditions, but the width, profile and tyre type. In very wet weather or snowy conditions, a narrower tyre works best at cutting down through snow or deep standing water where a wider tyre may float on top giving no actual grip or contact with the road. An all season or winter tyre has rubber specifically designed to operate better in colder temperatures, making them safer in winter. On heavily potholed or bumpy roads, gravel tracks etc, a tyre with a taller profile will fare much better than a low profile tyre.

The main problem with the Fiesta's reliability is the 1.0 Ecoboost engine which does indeed have a poor reputation (though plenty of owners have no problems at all). But with the 1.25 Yamaha designed engine, which was available right up to the introduction of the current model in 2017, the reliability is absolutely fine.

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Sx4 cross all grip tcss - Adampr

I think I've harped on about this before, but a lot of the alpine French drive around in Renault 4s. The combination of skinny tyres and lightweight makes them excellent in the snow.

I've always fancied a 4x4. I think it might be a weird hangover from the cachet they had in the 80s. Shame Subaru don't make Justys (or don't sell them in the UK anyway) any more.

If it must be 4x4, a Suzuki Jimmy or Daihatsu Terios might work. Panda 4x4 is an obvious but potentially troublesome choice..

The old shape Suzuki Ignis and Honda HR-V were both available as 4wd and pretty reliable too.

Edited by Adampr on 01/01/2023 at 19:25

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Sx4 cross all grip tcss - Xileno

"I think I've harped on about this before, but a lot of the alpine French drive around in Renault 4s. The combination of skinny tyres and lightweight makes them excellent in the snow."

We ran a 205 diesel back in the 80s when they were new. Almost unstoppable in the snow with its heavy diesel engine, manual gearbox and sensible tyres before the low profile options became fashionable.

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Sx4 cross all grip tcss - Brit_in_Germany

A proper VW Beetle with winter tyres was a particularly good combination.

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Sx4 cross all grip tcss - Engineer Andy
It is not the diameter of the wheels that matter in poor conditions, but the width, profile and tyre type. In very wet weather or snowy conditions, a narrower tyre works best at cutting down through snow or deep standing water where a wider tyre may float on top giving no actual grip or contact with the road. An all season or winter tyre has rubber specifically designed to operate better in colder temperatures, making them safer in winter. On heavily potholed or bumpy roads, gravel tracks etc, a tyre with a taller profile will fare much better than a low profile tyre.

Indeed - my local Kwik Fit was doing a roaring trade over the past 2 weeks (including yesterday - Saturdays are normally quiet days) because the cold, icy / snowy weather led to loads of nasty potholes rapidly opening up and worsening following the thaw.

I did not see one car with higher (55+) sidewall tyres being seen to when I passed whilst out for a walk over many days. Most were quite low profile. I suspect a few even needed repairs on or replacements of either alloys or suspension parts as well, which aren't cheap on such cars.

Even if cars with smaller diameter alloys and skinnier, higher profile tyres to get damaged, the repair / replacement costs are vastly lower, because the parts are cost a lot less and often the damage isn't anywhere near as severe.