What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - Speedbird 747

Tax benefits have helped the wealthy to pay the extraordinary price premium to own an EV, so that they can virtue signal how ‘Green’ they are. It will be interesting to see how these car owners will be able to charge their vehicles, during the severe weather event which commences around the 9th December. It is expected to match the cold and long duration of the 1962/63 winter.

But that aside and the fact EV’s are only zero emission at the tail pipe, whilst their pollution is transferred on a calm day to a coal fired power station, the real problem is the weight of these cars.

The battery packs make EV’s much heavier, and the law of physics would state that in an accident, if one of these cars hit you, the damage would be more severe. Not enough research has been undertaken into the impact damage caused by heavy EV’s on other road vehicles.

Edited by Speedbird 747 on 03/12/2022 at 09:30

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - Andrew-T

Not enough research has been undertaken into the impact damage caused by heavy EV’s on other road vehicles.

... especially on icy surfaces ? :-(

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - Adampr

Seriously?

1. My electric Corsa weighs less than a BMW 3 series. It also has brakes.

2. I have a 100% renewable tariff. Yes, I know that I don't get my own special electricity, but my supplier is buying renewable in line with my usage and isn't doing something with 'credits'

3. My lease costs are less than I used to pay for a 1.6 diesel Golf

4. If I wanted to look good, I'd hardly be driving around in a Corsa would I?

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - Terry W

Tax benefits have helped the wealthy to pay the extraordinary price premium to own an EV, so that they can virtue signal how ‘Green’ they are. It will be interesting to see how these car owners will be able to charge their vehicles, during the severe weather event which commences around the 9th December. It is expected to match the cold and long duration of the 1962/63 winter.

Not sure where the 1962/63 repeat forecast comes from. It lasted ~3 months, not just for a day. You need to bear in mind that most EVs need charging once or twice a week, often in the middle of the night when demand is otherwise low.

But that aside and the fact EV’s are only zero emission at the tail pipe, whilst their pollution is transferred on a calm day to a coal fired power station, the real problem is the weight of these cars.

Complete nonsense. Coal accounted for just 1.5% of power generation over the last year. 42% was gas and 56% was green (wind, solar, nuclear, biomass)

The battery packs make EV’s much heavier, and the law of physics would state that in an accident, if one of these cars hit you, the damage would be more severe. Not enough research has been undertaken into the impact damage caused by heavy EV’s on other road vehicles.

I suggest you look at Euro ncap safety ratings for small cars - plenty have 5 stars. In fairness, if you drive a rust in seams 15 year old car it will come off worse - but this would be the case no matter what hits you.

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - Bromptonaut

Complete nonsense. Coal accounted for just 1.5% of power generation over the last year. 42% was gas and 56% was green (wind, solar, nuclear, biomass)

There are currently 3 coal fired power stations in Great Britain; Ratcliffe, West Burton and Drax. The latter also burns biomass.

There's one more in Northern Ireland.

As of now according to Gridwatch Templar, on a calmish day with little wind, about 3% of our electricity, say 1GW, is from coal.

That's less than the 4% from solar.

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - edlithgow

Can we not call nuclear "green"?

OK to call it low-carbon, because it is.

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - mcb100
Coal fired power stations? Really?
Coal is now less than 3% of UK energy production.
N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - Xileno

Sometimes I get a bit irked paying £210 a year VED but then the bigger picture is that the tax system has often been used to encourage a change in direction of behaviour. In the future I might buy a second-hand EV so am grateful there are more appearing on the roads now.

I'm sure there are some virtual signallers about and would't be able to put a figure on it but those I do know who run an EV do so for the BIK. They would just as much run an ICE if the BIK was the same.

I hope we're not going to get a cold snap. My heating is broken at the moment!

That's one way to save on energy bills

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - focussed

Sometimes I get a bit irked paying £210 a year VED but then the bigger picture is that the tax system has often been used to encourage a change in direction of behaviour. In the future I might buy a second-hand EV so am grateful there are more appearing on the roads now.

I'm sure there are some virtual signallers about and would't be able to put a figure on it but those I do know who run an EV do so for the BIK. They would just as much run an ICE if the BIK was the same.

Sorry but:-

Snow cover area in the Northern Hemisphere this November is the highest it's been for 56 years.

Snow extent in the Northern Hemisphere at the end of November represents an important parameter for the early winter forecast.

www.severe-weather.eu/global-weather/snow-extent-n.../

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - RT

Sorry but:-

Snow cover area in the Northern Hemisphere this November is the highest it's been for 56 years.

Snow extent in the Northern Hemisphere at the end of November represents an important parameter for the early winter forecast.

www.severe-weather.eu/global-weather/snow-extent-n.../

In other reports, the snow in the Scottish mountains disappeared completely this summer, only the 9th time in 300 years that's occurred - but due to global warming it's now occurred 4 times in the last 6 years.

www.yourweather.co.uk/news/trending/scotland-s-lon...l

"In other reports, the snow in the Scottish mountains disappeared completely this summer, only the 9th time in 300 years that's occurred - but due to global warming it's now occurred 4 times in the last 6 years.

www.yourweather.co.uk/news/trending/scotland-s-lon...l"

Hot weather in summer doesn't stop snowfall in winter does it?

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - Ethan Edwards

I don't run an EV for the BIK as I own it. I don't run an EV to appear Green, I run an EV FOR the Green. It costs me 1.2pence per mile.

I don't run an EV for the BIK as I own it. I don't run an EV to appear Green, I run an EV FOR the Green. It costs me 1.2pence per mile.

And the public make up the shortfall, especially while your concessions last. :-)

What concessions? He bought it.

Favourable VED ?

Favourable VED ?

I look forward to paying my £20 a year to stop people banging on about that. Weird how nobody moans at tiny city car owners.

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - Ethan Edwards

And I've run ICE cars since 1980 so I think I've paid my dues. About time I got some freebies. What are they in particular and whose generosity do I thank?

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - Wee Willie Winkie

Good Lord. What a load of twoddle.

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - badbusdriver

You've hit the nail on the head DieselBoy!.

But we are long overdue an (ill informed) anti EV thread, it must have been several months since the last.

The battery packs make EV’s much heavier, and the law of physics would state that in an accident, if one of these cars hit you, the damage would be more severe.

With the above in mind, here is a hypothetical question for the OP:

You are going to be hit by one of these other vehicles,

A, An articulated truck

B, A double decker bus

C, A large van

D, A (4th gen) Land Rover Discovery

E, A Tesla Model X

Which would you choose?

You are going to be hit by one of these other vehicles,

Come on, BBD - you have just listed all the vehicles bigger than a Tesla. There are lots of others which weigh less.

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - Crickleymal

I've just been on the Met Office site. There's a snow warning for Scotland on Wednesday but nothing after that or for any other region of the UK. Gloucestershire Live (one of those dreadful Reach publications) was forecasting heavy snow for Gloucestershire on Wednesday in complete contradiction to any forecast that I could find.

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - gordonbennet

Best off giving all the overdramatic weather forecasts a good ignoring (much could be said for the rest of the news), every possible event is warned about in alarming tones as if its going to be cataclysmic and life ending, course this helps the climate fear wheeze along, kerching.

We're heading into winter, incredibly enough Scotland and the Peaks will see some snow during the winter, the rest of us might get a bit now and again, and there'll be some cold north easterly winds and some frosts.

Next summer the sun will shine some days between the showers, enjoy it while you can before they tax it.

See your annual weather forecast in two sentences, you didn't need to spend out on the BBC telly tax after all (i don't) to see what the weather has in store :-)

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - corax

I eagerly await the 9th Dec onwards. I will hold my tongue until then just in case it's a Michael Fish moment.

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - edlithgow

Twoddle? As in 2-ddle?

Not the more conventional Twaddle?

That'd presumably be 2-ddle dumb and 2-ddle dee then.

‘ Come on, BBD - you have just listed all the vehicles bigger than a Tesla. There are lots of others which weigh less.’

Given the number and efficiency of active safety systems constantly monitoring their surroundings, a modern car (ICE or EV) is much less likely to run into you than any of the above list.

Come on, BBD - you have just listed all the vehicles bigger than a Tesla. There are lots of others which weigh less.’

Missed the point Andrew. The OP is implying that EV's are more dangerous to be in a collision with because they are heavy. Conveniently ignoring the fact that our roads are already full of other vehicles which are heavier than most EV's, but which are not electrically powered.

I included the Disco deliberately because it was, and still is, an incredibly heavy car at more than 2500kg. Despite being shorter and narrower, it is also heavier than the Model X, (even when fitted with the biggest battery option).

This is why I use the term, 'ill informed'. Has the OP ever started a thread asking if large SUV's (like the Disco, amongst many others) are a danger to other road users?, how about one asking if pickups (from the last decade or so) are a danger to other road users?.

Edited by badbusdriver on 03/12/2022 at 15:53

I don't believe EV pose any increased risk to other motorists. However maybe one aspect of EV safety is that of pedestrians. I've read that EV have to emit noise up to 12.4 mph (20 kph). Seems quite slow to me. I still get caught out when out and about walking. What does the panel think?

As an EV owner, I have never heard this purported noise. That includes whilst outside the car when my wife is manoeuvring on the drive. I know the new Fiat 500s play music.

Neither have I, except Zoe's that seem to make a hollow drum noise when going slow.

This article mentions it, there's even a Corsa pictured...

www.whatcar.com/advice/owning/do-electric-cars-mak...8

I think it was mandatory on cars homologated since July 2019, not necessarily sold since then.
The Corsa, apparently, continues to produce a noise up to 25mph.
I’d imagine tyre noise becomes the dominant source of noise from that point upwards.

I know it supposedly does, but whatever noise it's making is as good as inaudible.

Although, having now read the article, I see it gets louder with speed so I guess it's very quiet crawling around on the drive.

Edited by Adampr on 03/12/2022 at 19:55

I don't believe EV pose any increased risk to other motorists. However maybe one aspect of EV safety is that of pedestrians. I've read that EV have to emit noise up to 12.4 mph (20 kph). Seems quite slow to me. I still get caught out when out and about walking. What does the panel think?

I've nearly been EV'd in the car park outside our vets in France.

I was getting out of our car parked next to and close to a big black Audi something-or-other SUV with one of our cats in a carrier box, when with no noise the Audi started moving with one of my feet next to the back wheel - not a lot of room in that car park. I banged on the door with my free hand, the female driver stopped the car, looked round, shrugged, and carried on reversing, by that time i had got out of the way.

It then reversed out, and drove forward down the hill, but had to stop when a couple of pedestrians were crossing the road and obviously hadn't heard it coming.

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - bathtub tom
the female driver stopped the car, looked round, shrugged, and carried on reversing,

The traditional Gallic shrug?

the female driver stopped the car, looked round, shrugged, and carried on reversing,

The traditional Gallic shrug?

Difficult to say, I was more concerned with keeping myself and our cat out of the way. The typical way that french drivers exit parking slots at supermarket car parks having driven in forward is to jump in, start up, select reverse, and drive out backwards, if they don't hear the sound of a horn they keep going, I see it every time I go the to the supermarket on a busy day.

There was no sound indicating that the Audi was about to move or was moving, that was the worrying part.

<< Missed the point Andrew. The OP is implying that EV's are more dangerous to be in a collision with because they are heavy. Conveniently ignoring the fact that our roads are already full of other vehicles which are heavier than most EV's, but which are not electrically powered. >>

I thought the point being made was purely about the weight of a typical EV in a collision. Being electrically powered is pretty irrelevant in a collision ?

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - Brit_in_Germany

Do you propose banning cars having passengers in them because the increased weight makes them dangerous to other car drivers?

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - madf

The OP starts with "Tax benefits have helped the wealthy to pay the extraordinary price premium to own an EV, so that they can virtue signal how ‘Green’ they are."

So many assumptions made in one opening sentence I assume the writer is trolling, ignorant or being deliberately provocative.

Not worth replying: the assumptions made suggest the OP KNOWS why people buy cars..

And has done teh research to back up that claim.

I don't believe a word .

If you look back, the ev issue seems to cause problems for the op.

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - alan1302

The latest forecast for the 9th here is 3 degrees and a bit sunny - if you find that a severe weather event I think you need to stop being so soft :-)

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - Engineer Andy

I would say that the most 'danger' from EVs comes from their near silent operation in the urban setting, as the hard of hearing / elderly and young children may not notice them until it's too late when trying to cross the road.

Similar issues exist with electric scooters, etc. They suddenly 'appear' out of nowhere at speed.

I would say that the most 'danger' from EVs comes from their near silent operation in the urban setting, as the hard of hearing / elderly and young children may not notice them until it's too late when trying to cross the road.

Similar issues exist with electric scooters, etc. They suddenly 'appear' out of nowhere at speed.

Well electric scooters are a completely different issue as they are quite likely to be on the pavement.

But nobody should be stepping onto a road before checking properly that is safe to cross, so I don't have any sympathy for anyone who has stepped onto a road and, based solely on the fact that they couldn't hear anything coming, and been struck by an electric car as a result.

Stop, Look, Listen!.

It is a very old message, but no less relevant today than when it first appeared decades ago.

As for the noise of an EV, unless someone is listening to music or are hard of hearing, I don't see how they would be oblivious to the approach of an EV. I see and hear quite a lot of them during the course of my window cleaning round, and, in my experience, while not as loud as ICE cars, they are far from silent.

Also, given how the majority of pedestrians I see have some type of ear phone inserted, they are only likely to be aware of a very loud (ICE vehicle unless they take their eyes off the screen of their smartphone and actually look. IMO, the smartphone (along with the listening to of music or whatever while walking) is far more dangerous to the vast majority of pedestrians than EV's making less noise than ICE vehicles.

Edited by badbusdriver on 04/12/2022 at 14:11

The most dangerous places now are car parks, where so so many people haven't a clue how to regulate their speed to where they happen to be, exacerbated by electric cars which in their turn are noisier at low speeds than quality cars like the Rover P4 the 6 cyl engines of which were almost silent at low revs and they sat on high profile tyres which were quiet too.

I find it best to hang on to your shopping trolley as long as possible, the brain dread speeders in car parks might not worry about hitting a soft human but would think twice about the dent and scrapes a well loaded shopping trolley would cause with no one to claim from, on that point i also grab and empty from the trolley parking bay and use it for self defence making my way to the entrance.

"Stop, Look, Listen!.

It is a very old message, but no less relevant today than when it first appeared decades ago."

You are right of course. On the odd occasion when I've been caught out it was never anywhere near being involved in an accident, more the case that when I turned around to check I was surprised to see a car there at all as the EV was close to silent. There's adjustment needed, for years we would hear a vehicle before seeing it, now we need to be aware that's not the case and should always thoroughly check, as we were taught by the green cross code man in school.

In the past we would not only hear a car before seeing but in many cases know what it was - an A series or Morris Minor made very distinctive noises.

I, like you, am a mass of soft tissue and fragile bones.

The is zero doubt about the outcome if I collide with a 1000kg+ lump of metal and plastic at almost any speed. The driver of said 1000kg + may be a motoring saint, or may be setting the sat-nav, unwrapping a bar of chocolate, drunk, drugged, angry, ill, etc etc.

Complain about quiet EVs and numpty inconsiderate drivers, but the best chance of avoiding collision is very simple - LOOK. Don't blame others for your lack of attention!

<< But nobody should be stepping onto a road before checking properly that is safe to cross, so I don't have any sympathy for anyone who has stepped onto a road and, based solely on the fact that they couldn't hear anything coming, and been struck by an electric car as a result. >>

Your mantra is of course correct, but today so many people are wearing headsets or gawping at a mobile phone, relying on their peripheral vision to see what might be happening on the road. I have watched a young mother push an occupied buggy across the A56 here while looking at her little screen - luckily she wasn't under threat.

In the past we would not only hear a car before seeing but in many cases know what it was - an A series or Morris Minor made very distinctive noises.

Yeah, you could hear and identify the whine of the gearbox before seeing the car!

I have watched a young mother push an occupied buggy across the A56 here while looking at her little screen - luckily she wasn't under threat.

Alarmingly common for a young parent to push the pram/puschair part way on to the road before waiting in expectation of a driver to stop and wave them across (often not far from a zebra crossing!).

Reminds me of something I saw on an episode of QI. Apparently when a family group of Meerkats cross a road, youngsters will be pushed out on to the road first to see if it is safe for the adults to cross.........

:-)

Well electric scooters are a completely different issue as they are quite likely to be on the pavement.

But nobody should be stepping onto a road before checking properly that is safe to cross, so I don't have any sympathy for anyone who has stepped onto a road and, based solely on the fact that they couldn't hear anything coming, and been struck by an electric car as a result.

Stop, Look, Listen!.

It is a very old message, but no less relevant today than when it first appeared decades ago.

As for the noise of an EV, unless someone is listening to music or are hard of hearing, I don't see how they would be oblivious to the approach of an EV. I see and hear quite a lot of them during the course of my window cleaning round, and, in my experience, while not as loud as ICE cars, they are far from silent.

Also, given how the majority of pedestrians I see have some type of ear phone inserted, they are only likely to be aware of a very loud (ICE vehicle unless they take their eyes off the screen of their smartphone and actually look. IMO, the smartphone (along with the listening to of music or whatever while walking) is far more dangerous to the vast majority of pedestrians than EV's making less noise than ICE vehicles.

True, but how many very elderly people or kids* old enough to be out on their own (at least for short periods near to their home) or say, in a supermarket / shop / station car park (know or remember to) use the green X code method? Cars often come out of sight (and at far faster speeds than one might realise), and thus the extra 'layer' of safety that ICE noise provides is useful.

* never mind older ones or adults who don't look and rely on hearing a vehicle coming.

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - skidpan

If we are going to have yet another rather pointless discussion about EV's and their shortcomings we need to include Hybrids (proper ones like the Toyotas) and Plug in Hybrids. Both of those types are quite happy to drive in car parks and in town not using the ICE, our Superb makes very little noise.

If pedestrians don't observe what is happening around them you can hardly blame the car that hits them.

Or perhaps we should all be driving those annoying boy racer types of car with f***ing, spitting exhausts that frighten the hell out of people.

Stop, Look, Listen!.

True, but how many very elderly people or kids* old enough to be out on their own (at least for short periods near to their home) or say, in a supermarket / shop / station car park (know or remember to) use the green X code method? Cars often come out of sight (and at far faster speeds than one might realise), and thus the extra 'layer' of safety that ICE noise provides is useful.

* never mind older ones or adults who don't look and rely on hearing a vehicle coming.

Very elderly people would surely have enough common sense ingrained over the years that they would check visually for cars as a matter of course, more like muscle memory, especially so if their hearing isn't great.

A kid should emphatically not be allowed out on their own without knowing how to cross a road safely (unless said trip to the shop, post box or whatever does not involve crossing a road). If they have the ability to cross a road safely but lose concentration and run across the road without looking, whether or not the car is electric will make not the slightest bit of difference (unless the car is very loud). And I have direct experience here as that is exactly what my youngest did when he was 8 years old, getting his leg broken in the process. A 1.9 turbo diesel Passat no less, quite along way from being a quiet car!.

For a small child in a car park, pretty much all cars are going to suddenly appear out of nowhere because of the height of their eyeline. Given the fact that most ICE cars are not noisy and given the amount of other distractions and noises going on in a car park, whether the car is electric or not will make no difference.

Have a look at NCAP pedestrian detection and avoidance tests. Relevant for EV, hybrid of any description and ICE.

youtu.be/FTKxCE5qmQM

No driver intervention in any of these emergency stops.

Edited by mcb100 on 04/12/2022 at 17:34

The Locomotive Act of 1865 required self propelled vehicles to be preceded by a man with a red flag. This was repealed in 1896.

Perhaps it's time to reintroduce this forward thinking piece of legislation - it would solve all the problems associated with EVs.

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - Speedbird 747

For the attention of virtue signalling EV owners.

Currently those lovely windmills are only supplying less than 10% of demand. A pathetic 3.61 Gw. 56% of electricity is being generated by gas.

What a gigantic con EV’s are. They are more polluting than ICE cars.

There are none so blind as those that will not see.

So what about all the coal powered power stations you mentioned at the top of the thread?
There are none so blind as those that will not see. So what about all the coal powered power stations you mentioned at the top of the thread?

I think his point is that those stations are helping to charge all the EVs ?

Over the last year renewables and nuclear have generated 50% of electricity - selective use of statistics does not prove a point.

In fact it is to the credit of UK power generation systems that despite very low wind, as far as I know the UK has not been overcome by massive power outages.

How you conclude that running EVs is more polluting than ICE is a conclusion that defies explanation.

Its only a pity that Gas, the ideal home heating fuel that would last near enough forever if kept for that purpose, is being wasted in huge quantities producing electricity, especially while we sit on hundreds of years of coal, coal = energy independence.

Its only a pity that Gas, the ideal home heating fuel that would last near enough forever if kept for that purpose, is being wasted in huge quantities producing electricity, especially while we sit on hundreds of years of coal, coal = energy independence.

Domestic gas heating produces about the same NOx as road vehicles - getting the balance between environmental and security is a difficult one.

We’re projected to have gone from 11GW to 30GW in offshore wind by 2030, with proportional increases in other renewable sources happening over the same time period.
Burning coal is a massive retrograde step for the environment.
N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - sammy1
We’re projected to have gone from 11GW to 30GW in offshore wind by 2030, with proportional increases in other renewable sources happening over the same time period. Burning coal is a massive retrograde step for the environment.

Have you noticed that the UK is freezing its nuts off for the last week with another week at least to come. Something has gone seriously wrong with the price of domestic fuel that we have to put up with and people not being able to afford it, freezing in their homes. The Earth has been evolving for billions of years and the UK thinks it ought to try to fix it in 5minuites. Fat chance! If what we have is global warming today than bring it on and lets have a Mediterranean climate here in the UK long term. Returning to the EV theme Switzerland are considering banning them from the roads if they have an energy crisis!

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - FP

"If what we have is global warming today than bring it on and lets have a Mediterranean climate here in the UK long term."

And what about sea levels if we get to that point? And what about other parts of the world that will have become uninhabitable?

"If what we have is global warming today than bring it on and lets have a Mediterranean climate here in the UK long term."

And what about sea levels if we get to that point? And what about other parts of the world that will have become uninhabitable?

Not that long ago the whole of the UK was under the sea. When the major countries in the world start building sea defences to defend their cities might be the time to perhaps start worrying. Whatever, what happens to the planet is way beyond what humans can do about it

We’re projected to have gone from 11GW to 30GW in offshore wind by 2030, with proportional increases in other renewable sources happening over the same time period. Burning coal is a massive retrograde step for the environment.

Have you noticed that the UK is freezing its nuts off for the last week with another week at least to come. Something has gone seriously wrong with the price of domestic fuel that we have to put up with and people not being able to afford it, freezing in their homes. The Earth has been evolving for billions of years and the UK thinks it ought to try to fix it in 5minuites. Fat chance! If what we have is global warming today than bring it on and lets have a Mediterranean climate here in the UK long term. Returning to the EV theme Switzerland are considering banning them from the roads if they have an energy crisis!

Anyone that thinks climate change is a good thing is a person that does not have a proper grasp on it. It's a serious matter that needs to be dealt with.

[One word substituted with 'person']

Edited by Xileno on 10/12/2022 at 22:03

Anyone that thinks climate change is a good thing is a fool that does not have a proper grasp on it. It's a serious matter that needs to be dealt with.

Climate change has been going on ever since the earth was born. There will be winners and losers as there are now with storms volcanoes and earthquakes all of which humans can do nothing about.

Edited by Xileno on 10/12/2022 at 22:02

Anyone that thinks climate change is a good thing is a person that does not have a proper grasp on it. It's a serious matter that needs to be dealt with.

Climate change has been going on ever since the earth was born. There will be winners and losers as there are now with storms volcanoes and earthquakes all of which humans can do nothing about.

Climate change has - man made climate change has not and can be prevented. There is a difference. As it is going now there will be no winners.

<< Climate change has been going on ever since the earth was born. >>

This blandly unarguable statement has little meaning of value. People who refuse to accept statistical evidence because they don't like to hear the message it conveys are simple deniers, perhaps even conspiracy theorists.

But what has this to do with EVs being a danger to road users ? :-)

Edited by Andrew-T on 11/12/2022 at 22:52

WIndpower today is 3% 0f demand. (see last few weeks)

Coal fired power stations being fired up.

No electricity storage planned.

Therefore windpower investment is a waste of money ..

All that means is that it's not very windy today. Over the last year, wind power has been 28% of our generation.

Whilst storage is great, it's not essential; we can export excess power to France and (as we do now) buy some back when we're in need.

All that means is that it's not very windy today. Over the last year, wind power has been 28% of our generation.

Whilst storage is great, it's not essential; we can export excess power to France and (as we do now) buy some back when we're in need.

Wind power is greatest in Spring Summer and Autumn when there is lots of solar.

In winter overall demand rises 30% and wind output roughly halves.

SO a dependence of wind power is counter intuitive.

That doesn't make sense. Even in summer, wind and solar combined doesn't meet 100% of need. We need to keep introducing renewables until, at the very least, we can meet full demand in the right conditions. Solar won't be enough on its own.

Solar won't be enough on its own.

We are already starting to see fields - which could grow useful crops - covered with hundreds of solar panels, a change which is even more prevalent in sunnier countries than ours. The UK has been unable to completely feed itself for many years, and this habit seems to be the wrong way to go, even if it may make 'common sense' to some. The best place for solar is on the roof, and there are plenty of roofs which could be used, as ours has been for 11 years now.

Solar won't be enough on its own.

We are already starting to see fields - which could grow useful crops - covered with hundreds of solar panels, a change which is even more prevalent in sunnier countries than ours. The UK has been unable to completely feed itself for many years, and this habit seems to be the wrong way to go, even if it may make 'common sense' to some. The best place for solar is on the roof, and there are plenty of roofs which could be used, as ours has been for 11 years now.

On a similar theme Sky has reported that framers in the Congo have been kicked off their fields by Total oil so that Total can offset their carbon footprint by planting 40million trees, It is difficult to comprehend just what is going on by governments and big business in this world.

Massive amounts of farm land are being bought up by housebuilders in the UK to achieve 'nitrate neutrality ' on new housing developments. They are basically taking land out of farming use to stop the rivers getting clogged with algae. Laudible, but perhaps banning nitrates in farming would make more sense?

I’m nowhere near having done the sums on this, but forget covering farmland with solar. Let’s cover all golf courses instead.
Semi serious comment.
I’m nowhere near having done the sums on this, but forget covering farmland with solar. Let’s cover all golf courses instead..

Good idea ! :-)

I’m nowhere near having done the sums on this, but forget covering farmland with solar. Let’s cover all golf courses instead..

Perhaps covering the roofs of factories / industrial units, schools / colleges, train sheds / stations and warehouses / retail outlets (supermarkets and those in retail parks) first would be a good idea - after all, they have LOADS of useful roof space going begging.

Some people may not like golf, but a golf course is far more environmentally friendly than most land uses these days, and, relatively speaking, they use up little land in the grand scheme.

Solar 'farms' just take up land that either was being used as farmland (given the current shortages, you'd have thought that the 'experts' would realise this) or as acutal properly wild habitats that people can enjoy.

The best estimate I’ve seen is that golf courses in the UK have the same footprint as the whole of Greater Manchester.
It’s a significant chunk of land.
I made it as a frivolous comment, but we need to be aware of what we’re doing with land.
The best estimate I’ve seen is that golf courses in the UK have the same footprint as the whole of Greater Manchester. It’s a significant chunk of land. I made it as a frivolous comment, but we need to be aware of what we’re doing with land.

Actually, several golf courses round here are in difficulty, and one has given up altogether after about 25 years - it was farmland before that. I don't think it will revert to that though, nor to a solar farm.

Perhaps covering the roofs of factories / industrial units, schools / colleges, train sheds / stations and warehouses / retail outlets (supermarkets and those in retail parks) first would be a good idea - after all, they have LOADS of useful roof space going begging.

Some people may not like golf, but a golf course is far more environmentally friendly than most land uses these days, and, relatively speaking, they use up little land in the grand scheme.

Solar 'farms' just take up land that either was being used as farmland (given the current shortages, you'd have thought that the 'experts' would realise this) or as acutal properly wild habitats that people can enjoy.

Agreed. I don't know why new housing estates can't incorporate the cost of solar panel installation on a mandatory basis, with subsequent reduced demand on the grid, and reduced bills for the house owners (in time). I suppose that on some houses in the estate it may not be practical due to the direction they are facing.

Agreed. I'd also think about roofing over supermarket carparks with solar panels. It'd provide shelter for the pedestrians as well as generating power.

Agreed. I'd also think about roofing over supermarket carparks with solar panels. It'd provide shelter for the pedestrians as well as generating power.

IIRC French supermarkets are experimenting with that approach.

IIRC French supermarkets are experimenting with that approach.

It has the added benefit (like with the solar roof over Blackfriars Bridge Station in London) of shade in the summer to keep the temperature of the cars down. TBH they could also add solar hot water panels as well, to provide hot water in said buildings.

Some, like swimming pools or those with large washing (people or things) facilities) would benefit enormously and reduce heating (for DHW) bills.

For the same reason, its often why the underground pipe loops for ground source heat pump systems are put under outside car parks, because the black tarmac absorbs so much heat, which is very useful to provide heat energy for heating (even out of summer) and for generating DHW.

Such ideas have been around in my old line of work for decades now, and yet...

Some new homes built (within the last 1-3 years) around the corner from me, and NOT ONE has a solar panel. All have gas-fired combi boilers. One lot does have EV chargers, but only one between two spaces for each property and likely only the 7kW variety. They don't look very vandal-proof either.

<< ...they could also add solar hot water panels as well, to provide hot water in said buildings. >>

There again, the least energy is available when you most need it (winter). The most rational use for PV electricity is for air-conditioning when it's too hot.

<< ...they could also add solar hot water panels as well, to provide hot water in said buildings. >>

There again, the least energy is available when you most need it (winter). The most rational use for PV electricity is for air-conditioning when it's too hot.

Similarly, having too much solar hot water generation via such panels creates huge amounts of heat that literally have to be dumped down the drain, or in the domestic / small scale commercial setting, bled off via dump radiators (the former would normally be located in a garage to avoid overheating the home).

Best to have solar hot water at a relatively low lovel unless demdn is high all year around, or can be bled off into other systems, such as pool heating for swimming pools or industrial processes in factories. It's why such systems are useful in (especially secondary) schools, colleges, barracks etc with high hot water usage, e.g. showering.

It might be useful for a supermarket if they have in-house food production facilities such as a bakery and/or cafe / restaurant - hot water for hand washing is reasonable and consistent, though not really high.

The paradoxes of solar and wind energy production is precicely why they are not suitable for a base load application generally for electricity, and thus we only have nuclear, tidal/wave and fossil fuels. Despite some improvements in battery / electricty storage tech, it's still nowhere near the capability and scale (even in another 10 years) to cope with what would be needed for the storage of energy between late September and mid May, especially in winter.

Small (1-2kw) amounts of PV are (effectively) mandatory on all future housing developments, as are 1:1 EV chargers. Air Source Heat Pumps are now pretty much standard now too. Ground source less so due to capital cost.

The issue with solar hot water is that, in the UK, it's generally not hot enough for use so needs to be boosted. That can be done with a cylinder and immersion heater, but is inefficient. The vast majority of gas boilers will not accept a hot, or warm, feed.

Wind and solar are complimentary. Plenty of cloud as well as night when wind is going well but zero solar. Right now we're in a short term position where High pressure reduces wind but the forecast has us back in more typical south westerly airflow by the weekend.

Nobody is saying we can rely on wind alone but as part of a mixed generator economy it absolutely has its place.

In winter overall demand rises 30% and wind output roughly halves.

SO a dependence of wind power is counter intuitive.

Completely wrong.

Energy Trends: UK weather - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Max solar is in summer months.

Max wind is December, January, February, March.

Most green energy generated is from wind.

Edited by Terry W on 13/12/2022 at 01:08

Therefore invest in storage?

Wind now back at 30% and that's before the reversion to normal westerly airflow has extended to the whole country.

Domestic gas heating produces about the same NOx as road vehicles - getting the balance between environmental and security is a difficult one.

Do you have any stats ? Most of the NO2 from road vehicles is caused by compression-ignition (diesel) - not normally used in domestic heating ?

we sit on hundreds of years of coal, coal = energy independence.

The coal may be there but my recollection is that the pits were shut because it was not economic to mine using deep shafts compared with the open cast mining in other countries.

What a gigantic con EV’s are. They are more polluting than ICE cars.

They aren't though - plenty of research shows that even if they are charged with electricity that is not all from wind/solar etc they are still less polluting than ICE cars...time to accept reality and move on.

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - HGV ~ P Valentine

For those who have been on here for a while you will know I have never been a lover of electric cars.

On the green front they lose out on being “green” by all the other adverse affects, for example as previously mentioned the extra electric that companies have to produce to charge these things, and the industry is still not saying how they are going to dispose of the huge quantity of batteries that cannot be renewed or recycled when they are done.

Electric cars not for a large majority in the housing estates, because in order to charge overnight there might be 160 leads going from the tower block to the cars per block, and some states have up to 8 blocks. And how would that be for the flats below having all them leads hanging outside their windows. If they built charging points then you would need a football pitch to accommodate them.

I will always regard electric cars as the silent killers, simply because when other drivers are not really concentrating on the road, their first alert is the sound of the car coming towards them, and what about night time when the driver is too lazy to make sure all their lights are working. ( for whatever reason )

On the weight thing ( remember what I do for a living ) HGV’s are in some place not allowed at all in the pedestrian areas because they know a truck fully loaded can kill a child at just 5 mph, as such have decided that it is simply not safe, yet they want to increase the weight of your like for like car.

Thankfully while they have done experiments with electric trucks, the financial viability of it means it is unlikely to be the main power source, simply because the weight of the batteries will decrease the load a truck can carry, and as such make it even more costly then it already is, with most companies spending 200% more on keeping a vehicle on the road.

I will always regard electric cars as the silent killers, simply because when other drivers are not really concentrating on the road, their first alert is the sound of the car coming towards them,

So in your learned opinion, it is absolutely fine for drivers not to be concentrating on the road ahead, but it is totally unacceptable for an electric car to be quieter (because lets be clear here, electric cars are not silent) than an ICE one?. Furthermore if said inattentive driver of an ICE car is involved in a collision with an EV, in your opinion that would automatically be the EV drivers fault for not making enough noise to rouse the ICE car driver from his/her stupor and make them focus on what they should be?.

As to whether or not anyone would be able to identify an oncoming vehicle because they hear it, with windows closed and the radio on, really?. Many years ago I was driving a bus along a single carriageway A road, the road was fairly quiet (mid morning) hardly anyone on the bus and it was a lovely summer day, so my window was open. A motorbike overtook the bus at very high speed and I was completely oblivious to it until he and his very loud exhaust passed my open window doing 80+mph and pulling probably in excess of 10k rpm. This resulted in my having near cardiac arrest and nearly jumping clean out of the drivers seat!. Now I may not have the best hearing in the world, but there is nothing actually wrong with it. So I don't believe for a moment that it is possible for a typical person to hear a typical ICE car coming towards them (even if that was an acceptable means of determining whether you should look at the road).

This would of course also mean that in your opinion, people who are hard of hearing or indeed deaf, should be banned from the roads. After all, how would they know a car is coming if they are not concentrating on the road?.

On the weight thing ( remember what I do for a living ) HGV’s are in some place not allowed at all in the pedestrian areas because they know a truck fully loaded can kill a child at just 5 mph, as such have decided that it is simply not safe, yet they want to increase the weight of your like for like car.

Surely the reason HGV's are not allowed in pedestrian areas is because they are pedestrian areas?. HGV's are not into certain other areas, but this would typically be due to the type of road, the potential for a traffic snarl up and the potential damage to the road surface up to 44 tonnes of articulated truck can do. Yes, a truck could kill a child at 5mph, so could a car. so could a motorbike. It would depend on which part of the vehicle struck which part of the child. Cars these days are designed specifically to be pedestrian friendly in the event of an impact, truck designers may have this in mind, but the shape of a truck is dictated by what it has to do, so there is very little scope to make them softer for a pedestrian to be hit by. This is why there is a greater likelihood of a pedestrian being killed by a truck rather than a car, it has nothing to do with weight.

I don't really understand the issue with electric cars and quietness. They virtually sound like any petrol car - all you hear is road noise and a faint whine. Can't say I've heard the exhaust noise of a petrol at low speeds unless it's souped up or performance orientated. Or any number of old wafty barges like Jags and Granadas from the 70's, they were whisper quiet. The only place I was surprised by a few were some hybrids at the Toyota dealership being moved very slowly by mechanics from workshop to car park, and certainly not at enough speed to kill anyone.

"On the green front they lose out on being “green” by all the other adverse affects, for example as previously mentioned the extra electric that companies have to produce to charge these things, and the industry is still not saying how they are going to dispose of the huge quantity of batteries that cannot be renewed or recycled when they are done."

Batteries can be recycled, there is information all over the web about this. They are not put into landfill, the materials are too valuable.

Edited by corax on 10/12/2022 at 19:31

Modern EV batteries are expected to degrade at about 2% annually, so there’ll be lots of cars reaching the end their lives with perfectly serviceable battery packs.
Repurposing is the next step in the chain, putting them to use in static environments where they won’t go through a daily charge/discharge cycle - for example replacing diesel fall back generators in hospitals. They’ll step in if power fails, and help at times of peak electrical demand, being recharged when it’s quieter overnight.
We’re also short of electricity storage, to the extent we have to switch off wind turbines because we can’t make use of what’s produced. Again, a use for a repurposed EV battery.
Only when they’re truly exhausted will they be recycled and constituent parts and chemicals extracted.
I’ve never heard of petrol or diesel being reused once its remnants have come out of the exhaust.

I will always regard electric cars as the silent killers, simply because when other drivers are not really concentrating on the road, their first alert is the sound of the car coming towards them, and what about night time when the driver is too lazy to make sure all their lights are working. ( for whatever reason )

My wife has a petrol engined Toyota Aygo. We got to within 6ft of a couple walking down a lane before they realised we were there.

My wife has a petrol engined Toyota Aygo. We got to within 6ft of a couple walking down a lane before they realised we were there.

I own the Aygo's sibling, a Citroen C1 - with its 3-cylinder engine and minimalised exhaust it's not exactly a quiet car.

<< We got to within 6ft of a couple walking down a lane before they realised we were there. >>

Leaving our house to reach the main road about 60 yards away, we often do likewise driving a Peugeot diesel. This may be because although we are on a public road many locals see it as primarily a wide footpath; or the walkers may have earphones in, or be staring at a small screen, or just concentrating on each other. Nearby noise doesn't seem to interest some people.

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - Sparrow

Wind power is great, and we are building a lot more wind capacity. Unfortunately, we need to have the gas fired back up built as well so we can supply customers when the wind isn't blowing.

For the foreseeable future there will be a lot of electricity generated from gas. There is no alternative. Electric road vehicles (and heat pumps) will, by increasing demand for electrical power, also increase the amount of electricity generated from gas.

Wind power is great, and we are building a lot more wind capacity. Unfortunately, we need to have the gas fired back up built as well so we can supply customers when the wind isn't blowing.

For the foreseeable future there will be a lot of electricity generated from gas. There is no alternative. Electric road vehicles (and heat pumps) will, by increasing demand for electrical power, also increase the amount of electricity generated from gas.

Or you could invest more into this part of the solution for wind turbines when there is no wind:

SSE begins work on hydrogen storage cavern on Yorkshire coast | SSE | The Guardian

Or you could invest more into this part of the solution for wind turbines when there is no wind:

SSE begins work on hydrogen storage cavern on Yorkshire coast | SSE | The Guardian

Better late than never. Amazing how many of us non-experts got it right on this when the so-called 'experts' (many of whom advise governments and energy companies worldwide) keep getting this sort of thing wrong time and again.

Not meaning to brag, as a good many of us here and elsewhere who are otherwise ordinary people seem to be able to grasp this subject far better than the experts. This is why I am more inclined to think something deliberate and nefarious is going on, as surely these experts can't be that bad at their jobs when the reality of the situation is as plain as day.

Better late than never. Amazing how many of us non-experts got it right on this when the so-called 'experts' (many of whom advise governments and energy companies worldwide) keep getting this sort of thing wrong time and again.

Not meaning to brag, as a good many of us here and elsewhere who are otherwise ordinary people seem to be able to grasp this subject far better than the experts. This is why I am more inclined to think something deliberate and nefarious is going on, as surely these experts can't be that bad at their jobs when the reality of the situation is as plain as day.

What have the 'experts' got wrong that you knew all along?

Power storage like this has been geting developed for years and it's not a new thing to know about - just needs time and money invested in it which can sometimes be hard to come by when short term profits are always looked for and easier ghenerating like gas is cheaper to invest in and more likley to turn a quick profit.

If you think something else is going on then why would they allow such a thing to be taking place now? What benefit does it give them?

What have the 'experts' got wrong that you knew all along?

Power storage like this has been geting developed for years and it's not a new thing to know about - just needs time and money invested in it which can sometimes be hard to come by when short term profits are always looked for and easier ghenerating like gas is cheaper to invest in and more likley to turn a quick profit.

I was talking (perhaps a bit at crossed purposes - sorry) at natural gas storage, to match or exceed that of our continental neighbours (we've got rid of most gasometers in the UK) so when the wind doesn't blow and daylight hours are minimal, as it was during the recent cold snap, we'd have more than enough natural gas to avoid having to buy extra on the world market at vastly inflated prices.

I personally think that hydrogen is a waste of time, as it isn't an energy store, because its inherrant low density means it has to be significantly pressurised and cooled to be able to store significant quantities, which requires, yes, you've guessed it, lots of electricty to power the systems required to do just that. For the same reason, I think that hydrogen fuel cells are a bad idea, especially when you need fresh water, which is not exactly abundent, and desalination and transportation from seaside areas to inland also requires huge electrical energy and infrastructure investment.

Far better to put solar panels on all those otherwise empty roofs of factories, retail parks, schools, hospitals, warehouses, etc, etc and until nuclear (of either sort) can fill the gap, use natural gas with a decent level of storage. I've been advocating that for several years now.

If you think something else is going on then why would they allow such a thing to be taking place now? What benefit does it give them?

They are (with other actions) inpoverishing the ordinary citizen and making them highly reliant on government handouts etc, with the more power and wealth in the hands of those who already have a lot. Several actions at once - we've discussed this often in many other threads.

They are (with other actions) inpoverishing the ordinary citizen and making them highly reliant on government handouts etc, with the more power and wealth in the hands of those who already have a lot. Several actions at once - we've discussed this often in many other threads.

Surely it's better for the government not to have to give handouts as it costs a lot to give out money...should they not want people earning just enough so they don't have to give money back to them?

"""ot meaning to brag, as a good many of us here and elsewhere who are otherwise ordinary people seem to be able to grasp this subject far better than the experts. This is why I am more inclined to think something deliberate and nefarious is going on, as surely these experts can't be that bad at their jobs when the reality of the situation is as plain as day.

It is all too easy to think that so called professional people are more intelligent than the rest of us in perhaps lower perceived occupations. What a lot of people lack is sheer common sense in some everyday matters.

On the EV danger post a structural engineer is concerned that the extra weight of these are a potential danger to multi-story car parks

<< It is all too easy to think that so called professional people are more intelligent than the rest of us in perhaps lower perceived occupations. What a lot of people lack is sheer common sense in some everyday matters. >>

It is equally easy (and feels good) to assume that some experts are dumb, when we have incomplete info about the situation they are in. Being 'experts', they probably have a much fuller picture than outsiders. That's when conspiracy theories take root.

Ask yourself - would I (unless they were appropriately qualified) go to forum member, or stop someone in the street at random, to seek advice or a service for:

• root canal job
  • tax advice
  • replacement hip joint
  • build an extension
  • provide a prescription for failing eyesight
  • etc etc

Reality - most professionals have a far wider and more reliable knowledge of their specialism than the man in the street displaying "common sense" (actually uncommon).

Ignorance drives most man in the street assertions - they have neither the breadth or depth of knowledge required to come to a balanced informed conclusion. Simplistic and superficial is comforting and requires little effort.

Occasionally luck may with hindsight prove them right, they may even have a worthwhile point to make. But on balance I would go with the informed, knowledgeable, professionally qualified etc every time.

""" yes so what they have all been trained in their specialist field but does that make them any more intelligent than a plaster plumber or carpenter. Could you treat someone on an intensive care ward without training. Even a street cleaner could have an higher IQ than most. I think your comment is more simplistic, the man in the street is everybody they are NOT driven by ignorance

Intelligent is not the same as a professional. There may be a link between intelligence (IQ) and success in a well paid profession, but intelligent people may make other career choices.

Reasons may be a mix of the negative and positive - personal interest, laziness, social inadequacy, community minded - plus lots of others.

A plaster or plumber does not need the IQ of a surgeon or lawyer. But they do need several years to become proficient and knowledgeable in their trade. As such they are professional.

Professionals are proficient in their particular discipline due to training, experience, and practice. That a tax accountant may have a higher IQ than (say) an electrician does not make them remotely competent to (say) wire a house compliant with the latest electrical and building regs.

Similarly a street cleaner with a brain the size of a planet, never having studied EV technology, electrical engineering, power generation and distribution etc, is entirely incapable of making a meaningful contribution to a debate over the danger of EVs.

On the EV danger post a structural engineer is concerned that the extra weight of these are a potential danger to multi-story car parks

Which structural engineer? They're not very good at their job.

"It will be interesting to see how these car owners will be able to charge their vehicles, during the severe weather event which commences around the 9th December. It is expected to match the cold and long duration of the 1962/63 winter."

It lasted a week. Where did you get your information from?

N/A - Are EV’s a danger to other road users - HGV ~ P Valentine

Any car is only a tool to get you form A to B. It does not prove what a big man you are or how good your driving is.

Like all tools it is only as safe, or as dangerous as the person using it, this applies to young and an old, man or woman.

Any car is only a tool to get you form A to B. It does not prove what a big man you are or how good your driving is..

It may indicate the size of your (or someone else's) bank account.

Some will argue that an expensive car demonstrates nothing more than an appreciation of engineering, design and performance.

Those lacking the moolah to possess something so desirable form different, but equally justified opinions - that the owner of the prestige motor:

• believes displays of wealth are deserving of respect and deference
  • needs to feed an ego which hides fundamental insecurities.
  • fails to accept that ultimately they will be a loser to a deeper wallet
  • finds illusory reasons why a £20-30k car can't get from A to B as well as the £100k+.
  • is in denial that the £20-30k may even be better (a) more space, (b) easier to park, (c) plenty of dealers, (d) more reliable as less complex, better spares supply etc