What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
DVLA - - credit where credit's due - John F

Earlier this month I got a letter advising me to renew my over 70 driving licence. It enclosed a return addressed envelope with a shouty message (bit like the USA's ubiquitous all upper case notices) in the top R hand corner 'PLEASE CHECKWEIGHT AND USE CORRECT POSTAGE'. So just a couple of days ago I went on line and completed the application form to renew it. Today it has arrived via Royal Mail. Well done DVLA!

But I would be interested in opinions about what to do about DVLA's command to cut up my old licence and return it. Do I - a) not bother, and just destroy and dispose of it myself - b) return it without incurring the expense of a stamp c) use a 19p stamp that has been lurking in the stamp drawer for possibly decades d) be a well behaved compliant citizen and comply.

DVLA - - credit where credit's due - alan1302

Earlier this month I got a letter advising me to renew my over 70 driving licence. It enclosed a return addressed envelope with a shouty message (bit like the USA's ubiquitous all upper case notices) in the top R hand corner 'PLEASE CHECKWEIGHT AND USE CORRECT POSTAGE'. So just a couple of days ago I went on line and completed the application form to renew it. Today it has arrived via Royal Mail. Well done DVLA!

But I would be interested in opinions about what to do about DVLA's command to cut up my old licence and return it. Do I - a) not bother, and just destroy and dispose of it myself - b) return it without incurring the expense of a stamp c) use a 19p stamp that has been lurking in the stamp drawer for possibly decades d) be a well behaved compliant citizen and comply.

Option A - never seen the point of returning them to the DVLA.

DVLA - - credit where credit's due - RickyBoy

Wasn't there something in the press last/early this week suggesting the DVLA can fine you up to £1,000 if you don't return the old one (cut in half)?

Probably from the Daily Mail, so ignore...

DVLA - - credit where credit's due - Cris_on_the_gas

Cut up your old licence and return as requested. Put on the correct postage and carry on with your life.

DVLA - - credit where credit's due - Andrew-T

A week ago I transferred ownership of my Pug 306 to a buyer in Scotland, online. This week I have received refund of unused VED, and today confirmation that I am no longer the registered keeper. Probably all done automatically, but with minimal delay.

DVLA - - credit where credit's due - Chris M

So John F, the man who has recently spent thousands of pounds on a holiday to the USA, is now quibbling over spending 68p on a stamp? Options b) and c) would result in the taxpayer picking up the bill. Shame on you.

;)

DVLA - - credit where credit's due - Xileno

Use the 19p stamp plus buy another to make up the full rate before the old stamp can't be used anymore. End of Jan I think.