What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Renault Captur PHEV - Test Drive - Adampr

Following my go in a Leon the other day, I have now tried two more PHEVs. The first 9f these was a Renault Captur.

Initial impression is that the PHEV set up is MUCH better. The switch between the two motors is pretty much seamless and I didn't have the same kickdown issue as in the Leon. The engine itself is a little noisy when it does start.

I think there are probably two contributory factors; firstly the Captur uses two electric motors and a 'dog box' to switch between engines. I won't pretend to fully understand what that means but it's supposed to be smoother and it works. Secondly, it uses a 1.6 normally aspirated engine, which isn't used elsewhere in the range, and that seems to suit the concept better than repurposing a smaller turbo engine.

The car itself drives very nicely, it's comfortable and the interior is much better (i.e. less grey) than most. The only problem is the boot is small. The back seat slides forward to make it bigger, but that leaves zero leg room. This particular one was also metallic orange...

Renault Captur PHEV - Test Drive - Xileno

I've driven quite a few Capturs through work, they were popular on the fleet about three years ago. I thought they rode well and had just enough French quirkiness to be interesting. Decent warranty on recent models too.

Renault Captur PHEV - Test Drive - mcb100
I drove the Clio hybrid recently- non-PHEV, but the same running gear.
It’s got a four speed, non-synchromesh, gearbox that uses the smaller of the two electric motors to spin up the next gear for smooth changes. If you listen carefully you can hear the gear changes as the revs drop/rise, but it’s a completely different sensation to a CVT-type transmission.

Edited by mcb100 on 20/10/2022 at 09:11

Renault Captur PHEV - Test Drive - badbusdriver

I have a customer recently went from an Audi Q5 to a Renault Arkana hybrid (not sure if plug in). Haven't spoke to them about it, but I'll be interested to see how long they keep it.

Another customer went from a Merc GLC to a Subaru Forester hybrid, that was because he was fed up of the terrible customer service though!. Seems to like it well enough so far.

Renault Captur PHEV - Test Drive - Adampr

I had a snoop at a couple of Arkansas. It looks quite nice, but the reviews are mixed. None are PHEV. I'm not sure I actually want or need a PHEV, but it's an appealing concept so I'm exploring my options.