What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Suzuki S-Cross - streaks on paintwork after respray - advice needed - philonenko

Hello,

I've recently had my car repaired for a dent on the tailgate (insurance repair) and another dent on the back door (which I paid for myself). When I picked up the car, I noticed some imperfections on the tailgate where dust appeared to have been trapped in the paint and asked for them to be fixed. When I took the car home and inspected it closely, I noticed a separate issue: some alarming streaks on the paintwork where the back door had been repaired. They seem to be underneath the clearcoat. I hadn't clocked those streaks when I picked up the car as the repaired area was in the shade and it was an overcast day. However, when the repaired area is in the sun, the streaks are clearly visible. Is this a sign of a shoddy repair? What might have caused these streaks, and should I try to get the bodyshop to remedy them?

To give you an idea of what the streaks look like, I've uploaded an image here: ibb.co/6wBZgVb

Many thanks for any advice.

Suzuki S-Cross - streaks on paintwork after respray - advice needed - Adampr

That's a bit weird. It looks almost it was wet from rain before it was lacquered. Anyway, take it back, it's not like they can pretend it wasn't them.

Suzuki S-Cross - streaks on paintwork after respray - advice needed - badbusdriver

How does the paintwork feel when you rub your hand over it?

TBH, it looks like marks from a machine polisher to me.

Suzuki S-Cross - streaks on paintwork after respray - advice needed - Adampr

TBH, it looks like marks from a machine polisher to me.

But presumably you could hand polish those out in a matter of minutes?

Suzuki S-Cross - streaks on paintwork after respray - advice needed - corax
But presumably you could hand polish those out in a matter of minutes?

Not if it's under the clear coat assuming the OP's remarks are right.

Suzuki S-Cross - streaks on paintwork after respray - advice needed - Andrew-T

It's not clear whether the car was repaired by the insurer's preferred bodyshop, or one of your choice. I suspect leaving it up to the insurer may not guarantee the best results, as they may do it down to a price, and perhaps be under time pressure too ?

Suzuki S-Cross - streaks on paintwork after respray - advice needed - focussed

It's just sloppy work - get them to do it again - PROPERLY.

Suzuki S-Cross - streaks on paintwork after respray - advice needed - paul 1963

Looks like they've tried to flatten the trapped dust out with a machine polisher...badly!

It really needs stripping and painting again.

Suzuki S-Cross - streaks on paintwork after respray - advice needed - philonenko

Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions/advice! I took the car back to the bodyshop and they said that the streaks are due to the machine polishing and are on the top coat, not under it. They used some wax to improve the finish. I appreciate this is not a permanent solution and that I may need to reapply wax from time to time to maintain the appearance of the car but, tbh, I preferred this to having the panels stripped and repainted as I was not 100% confident they would do a good enough job.

Suzuki S-Cross - streaks on paintwork after respray - advice needed - JONATHAN_11_80

You need to get someone competent to wet sand and machine polish the door with a dual action polisher. That finish is unacceptable. No doubt the polish they used to improve it contained fillers that mask imperfections like this.

Edited by JONATHAN_11_80 on 19/10/2022 at 06:17

Suzuki S-Cross - streaks on paintwork after respray - advice needed - paul 1963

You need to get someone competent to wet sand and machine polish the door with a dual action polisher. That finish is unacceptable. No doubt the polish they used to improve it contained fillers that mask imperfections like this.

I agree.