What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic - Am I making a mistake - Dilemmas
Good Afternoon Forum Members,

So tomorrow I’m suppose to be going to pick up a newer used car.

I currently own a 2008 1.8 petrol Honda Civic on 110k (Manual), personally I’ve had nothing but issues with it since owning it for 2 years, had the mobile mechanic out today to tidy up a partly finished repair from before, before trading it in.

The car I’m supposed to be getting is a 70k, 2015 Volvo XC60 SE LUX auto 2.4 D5 AWD. Full Volvo service history and comes with a 12 month Volvo Selekt unlimited mileage warranty.

So the mechanic basically talked to me as if I’m crazy, why would I get rid of the Honda, and that Volvo are awful cars and I will have nothing but issues.

I did explain to him I had this Volvo model before and loved it and had no issues whatsoever, and he basically said I must of got lucky.

Now I’m totally second guessing myself…
Honda Civic - Am I making a mistake - Adampr

Hondas have a better reputation for reliability than Volvos. XC60s are particularly know to be problematic, but it doesn't necessarily follow that your car will be a dog. After 7 years and 70,000 miles, Volvo are willing to warrant it, so I wouldn't worry.

Thanks for your comment, and yes that was my whole basis upon buying a civic, but the countless issues just take enough out of you eventually. I mean it still has several issues and the mechanic is shocked I’m getting rid.

Obviously I was unlucky with this civic (story of my life with cars), apart from the XC60 I had before, which is part of the reason I guess I’m drawn back to it so heavily and maybe I was just lucky before with the Volvo being good.

No idea ????? but I’m definitely wondering now, it’s playing a lot on my mind.
Honda Civic - Am I making a mistake - Engineer Andy

I hope that 1 year warranty includes coverage for DPF problems. If I rcall correctly, one of our esteemed Backroomers SLO76 had a good few problems with an XC60 and had to part company with it after a relatively short space of time.

As Adampr says though, no car is guaranteed to be utterly reliable or a complete dog's breakfast. In this case, you just have to hope that the previous owner(s) drove it sympathetically (preferrably not predominantly for short trips from cold) and all the maintenance was done correctly.

Plus that the dealership you're buying it from and presumably are going to have maintain it are reasonable decent and (as far as one can for a car dealer) honest.

Rather a large difference between a manual Civic 1.8 and an auto 2.5TD XC60 - if you don't mind me asking, why did you part company with the previous XC60 and (at least) not stay with Volvo if you liked it that much?

One other thing to note / ask is what 'auto' gearbox does the new car have? Is it a 'traditional' TC box or (given the tie-up with Ford until around that time) the hated Powershift dual clutch unit? If its the latter, then you may need that warranty.

Thanks Andy for the response.

Mainly when Covid hit and change in job and circumstances really forced the sale of our last Volvo.

The Honda was just bought as a run around really until circumstances changed.

We genuinely really miss it though.

The reason for wanting back the SUV, is although daily use will be short trips, at least twice a year we will be doing 3000 mile round trips to Europe and going from south of the uk to Scotland, these long trips just felt so effortless if the Volvo. It’s just a much more comfortable car.

This was taken from the page to do with the selekt warranty;

“ This warranty does not cover: spark plugs, auxiliary drive belts, exhaust system and diesel particulate filter (catalytic converters are covered), clutch frictional material, brake shoes, pads and discs, lamps (LED lamps are covered providing at least 50% of the lighting has failed), bulbs (Bi-Xenon bulbs are covered), fuses, batteries, paintwork, body panels, body seals and weather strips, handles and hinges, cosmetic finishes, carpets and trim, upholstery, glass, wiper blades, wheels, tyres and the adjustment of any component, servicing, maintenance and normal wear and tear.”
Too add, getting it from a Volvo main dealer.

4.4 rating out of 5 from 400 reviews on Google and on AutoTrader 4.5 out of 5 from 33 reviews.

It’s been serviced at a Volvo garage every year without fail.

4 total owners.

Fingers crossed I guess
Honda Civic - Am I making a mistake - badbusdriver

SLO's was an approved used car from a main dealer. By his account it seems to have been a very unreliable car though, with a harsh ride.

You seem to have been very unlucky with what is usually a very reliable purchase so I can well understand wanting to change, but I fear a 7 year old XC60 is going to be a step in the wrong direction!.

Honda Civic - Am I making a mistake - Xileno

Four owners on a seven year old car seems quite high to me.

The last owner apparently had it since 2017
Hi Andy

They confirmed a traditional TC gearbox
Honda Civic - Am I making a mistake - Ian_SW

If you're doubting whether it is the right car, that probably means it isn't, so at the very least it's worth looking at what alternatives you could get for the same money and decide if any would worry you less.

For comparison, for about the same price as a 70k mile approved used 7 year old XC60 D5 you could buy:

1: A 3 year old Vauxhall Grandland with about 30k miles or a 3 year old Skoda Karoq with about 50k miles,

2: A 4 year old 40k mile Nissan Qashqai, Hyundai Tucson or Kia Sportage, or Peugeot 3008

3: A 5 year old average mileage VW Tiguan,

4: An 8 year old high mileage Audi Q5 or BMW X3.

The point I'm trying to make is that you pay quite a price to get the "premium" brands - which isn't surprising when they cost more new and are in demand secondhand as many people aspire to owning them.

However, if reliability and minimising future costs is the main concern, in three years time the Kia would be just coming to the end of its warranty whereas the Volvo will be 10 years old.

There's no denying that the Volvo (or BMW or Audi) will be a nicer place to sit and a little more refined, but even if the engineering is better (possibly questionable these days) it's still a quite a lot older car than the cheaper brands.

Honda Civic - Am I making a mistake - skidpan

but even if the engineering is better (possibly questionable these days)

Not questionable at all. All VAG cars use the same engineering, they just add their own body style and trim.

But its fair to say an 8 year old Q5 will have older technology from VAG in it than a 3 year old Karoq.

Honda Civic - Am I making a mistake - Steveieb

If I remember SLO s wife was the major influencer in choosing the Volvo.

It turned into a nightmare car with lots of issues and a hard ride to add and he got rid of it to the trade and replaced it with a petrol HRV Honda which has been fine.

But as far as image is concerned the Volvo has it all, but comes at a price.

wasn’t the XC 60 voted the most unreliable car they had tested in a recent Which report ?

That’s hard to believe alongside all the usual Italian and French marques.

But whatever it’s the image that counts to so many. So much so that my SIL s business partner has persevered with his XC 60; through two major engine rebuilds . But he was pleased when he managed to get to France this year without having to return to Nottingham to collect his VW Passat when he broke down in Kent .

I mean personally I don’t think the XC60 is a flash car. I think if I were looking for a status car, it would be BMW X5 or Audi etc. Volvo just sorta blends in.

It’s the comfort that sells me primarily and then the safety rating and all the little gadgets like adaptive cruise control, Blind Spot warning, winter pack etc

Think I’m just gonna take the gamble assuming all is well with the inspection and test drive.

I did look at stuff like a Sportage and my parents have a Quashqai and they’re just not for me personally.

However, I do appreciate the different views that people have offered.

Thanks
Honda Civic - Am I making a mistake - sandy56

My daughter inlaw runs a Volvo V60 auto with the 2.4 diesel engine. It is now 6 yrs old and has been very reliable and does approx 50mpg. The only regret is she should have got the V70 as it is bigger.

Honda Civic - Am I making a mistake - Engineer Andy
Hi Andy They confirmed a traditional TC gearbox

Well, that's something in your favour at least. I suppose it's a fait accompli as you've already put your money down. Make sure that any active regens of the DPF are not stopped mid-regen when you end a journey, given your likely usage pattern means they may well be unless you take steps.

Unfortunately for your likely price bracket (given what you're buying) and driving pattern, there's not exactly much out there that is both fuel efficient, reliable and without a DCT auto (possible reliability issues). Some newer cars might've been better but probably well outside your price range.

Normally that Civic would've done a decent job. Maybe you were unlucky. For older cars, a lot depends on how it was previously used and cared for. I personally would much prefer cars with as few previous owners as possible, because that indicates satisfied owners who (mostly) took good care of the car.

Honda Civic - Am I making a mistake - pd

There are very rarely any issues with DPF on any models with the 2.4 engine. I really wouldn't worry about that aspect.

If issues occur as with most cars DPF problems are the symptom of a different fault, very rarely the primary issue.

Honda Civic - Am I making a mistake - Energyman
My wife runs a diesel XC60, 2017, Manual, 70000 miles, zero issues so far, excellent comfort, not bad mpg if you don’t cane it, few trips to the Dordogne, loads of space, does use tyres but not horrendous, dealer serviced, free breakdown cover and sat nav update each time, can’t really fault it
Honda Civic - Am I making a mistake - Bolt

Normally that Civic would've done a decent job. Maybe you were unlucky.

condenser and compressor seem a common problem on Civics including mine but price of repair has put me off doing it as its £850 to fix both. but may think about it in a few months due to state of second hand cars on the market

all mentioned problems when they appear are never or almost never fixed on some cars leaving it to the new owner to repair which isn`t the cars fault and age doesn`t help, but some people want a 14 year old car to be perfect which rarely exist unless your lucky (comment not aimed at OP by the way)

personally I rarely comment on buying a car as the problems can occur where the person who owned the car before did not look after it, and sell it with the problems, so they don`t have to, but have noticed more people buying cars with severe transmission/engine problems that weren`t noticed or covered up before buying so they end up losing a lot of money.

the problems some cars have remind me of the 70s when bodge ups galore were done to sell cars.....

Honda Civic - Am I making a mistake - Warning

I currently own a 2008 1.8 petrol Honda Civic on 110k (Manual)...

Could it have been clocked?

I looked at Honest John review for the Honda and it scores 4 and 5s. There are a few low scores for repairs issues.

The Volco XC60 has people complaining about issue.

It had FHSH when I got it… but still issue after issue. To be fair it never left us at the side of the road but things such as air con not working, radiator not working, fan motor failure, issues with the electrics and radio / cd player that still aren’t sorted, squeaky clutch since we had it (in the garage numerous times and unresolved, I mean they all sound petty alone, but it gets to the point of being fed up spending money out all the time on a car basically worth £1k ish …..

Anyway I went for the Volvo, loved it to be honest, really enjoyed the 3 hour drive home in it. Fingers crossed.
Honda Civic - Am I making a mistake - expat

Good to hear that your first impressions of the Volvo are good. Can you get back to us in a few months time to let us know how it is going?

Absolutely will do

Edited by Dilemmas on 09/10/2022 at 05:42