What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BMW X1 - Warrenty - Mark Hollier

Hi, Id like some advice before contacting the seller.

I bought a 63 plate BMW x1, it came with a new mot and a three month warranty. I've had it a few weeks now and have noticed small patches of oil on my drive. When I went through the mot paperwork I noticed it says it has a small oil leek but nothing to be worried about. The car cost £7000.

I'm asking should the warrenty cover the repair?

Greatful for any advice.

BMW X1 - Warrenty - badbusdriver

First thing is, a small amount of oil will spread a long way!. It may look like you are losing lots, but probably not.

Maybe a BMW forum might be a better place to ask if this kind of thing is normal or something to worry about?.

As for the warranty, I'd be looking carefully at the small print. The aftermarket warranties you get on second hand cars are often not worth the paper they are written on.

My advice would have been to not buy a BMW (with a few exceptions, they are not that reliable) in the first place, but that point has passed!

BMW X1 - Warrenty - johncyprus

Hope you haven’t got the diesel. My son in laws diesel X1 63 reg with 75k on the clock had an engine seizure earlier this year. He had the engine rebuilt at a cost of £2,900 however the engine isn’t what it was and burns oil. He’s hoping it’ll keep going till September when his new Toyota Corolla estate should be delivered.

If you haven’t already done so it would be a good idea to get the car inspected, if it’s no good then depending on how long you’ve had the car you might be able to reject it. Did you buy from an established dealer with a good reputation?

BMW X1 - Warrenty - Adampr

When you say it was mentioned in the 'paperwork' do you mean it was advertised as faulty or that, for instance, it was an advisory on an old MOT?

BMW X1 - Warrenty - sammy1

It would be a good idea to find out where the oil is leaking from before assuming it may be a big repair job. What exactly does the MOT say about the leak. Unless very serious oil leaks will not fail a car. Do they mention possibly a drive shaft boot?

Edited by sammy1 on 21/06/2022 at 20:17

BMW X1 - Warrenty - Ian D
Did you buy it from a trader? If so (forgetting the warranty) you have consumer rights for up to
6 months, if local then if the trader is good he may well help you out. But I would clean up the affected area and see how bad it is, may just be a few drops