What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Fuel prices going down this evening? (Mar 23rd) - FP

Evening Standard: "Petrol giants were told on Wednesday to slash the price at the pumps within hours.

Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng demanded the lower prices for petrol and diesel after Chancellor Rishi Sunak announced he was axing 5p off fuel duty per litre from 6pm on Wednesday.

He tweeted: 'The public will rightly expect to see the 5 pence Fuel Duty cut reflected quickly in the prices shown on the forecourt this evening.'

He added: 'This afternoon, @RishiSunak and I have written to major retailers, trade bodies and the supply chain to set out our expectations.'

Fuel companies have been accused in the past of being quick to raise prices but slow to bring them down when oil costs and taxes fall, which enables them to rake in more revenue due to the delay.

We'll see how quickly the prices come down. Fortunately I have a fairly full tank and don't expect to refill for a few weeks.

Edited by FP on 23/03/2022 at 17:19

Fuel prices going down this evening? (Mar 23rd) - nick62

At the local Costco, diesel (supposedly 'super' grade) was £1.72.9 this morning.

Now showing with a 6p reduction to £1.66.9

Edited by nick62 on 23/03/2022 at 17:58

Fuel prices going down this evening? (Mar 23rd) - FoxyJukebox
Saturday papers-AA reporting that the national average reduction is 2.71p
Fuel prices going down this evening? (Mar 23rd) - groaver

Evening Standard: "Petrol giants were told on Wednesday to slash the price at the pumps within hours..

Somebody is taking the slash.

5p?

Fuel prices going down this evening? (Mar 23rd) - primus 1

Passed my local bp, this morning £1:63, passed again this evening and it was £1:65, so when they cut 5p off it will look like a bargain

Fuel prices going down this evening? (Mar 23rd) - craig-pd130

Indeed, it will likely take a few days to be reflected in pump prices as the duty is charged on on the wholesale price paid by retailers, and most of them will have yet to buy fuel at the new lower rate.

Fuel prices going down this evening? (Mar 23rd) - sammy1

£3.50 a tank full is all I will save, won't even buy a pint of beer. Still paying 5% VAT on my ever increasing domestic fuel and robbed of a proper increase on my OA pension. Still leaves 52p fuel duty on a litre. The whole budget is a con as usual

Fuel prices going down this evening? (Mar 23rd) - Andrew-T

£3.50 a tank full is all I will save, won't even buy a pint of beer.

Yes, I've always wondered why people will happily pay for a pint (about half a litre) of beer enough to get a whole two litres of fuel - even at today;s inflated prices. And most of the beer has simply fallen from the sky not long before .... :-)

Fuel prices going down this evening? (Mar 23rd) - JonestHon

Duty goes down on fuel in the forecourt while red diesel is scrapped for most industries, he gives on one hand and take with the other as per usual.

Duty goes down on fuel in the forecourt while red diesel is scrapped for most industries, he gives on one hand and take with the other as per usual.

He has to, or the Treasury runs out of money to circulate, unless he simply prints more - which he is effectively doing, thereby assisting inflation. It's those priorities again.

Fuel prices going down this evening? (Mar 23rd) - FoxyJukebox
For some extraordinary reason there was quite a large queue at my local petrol station mid afternoon yesterday. Nobody bothering to wait for the 5p drop ? Or perhaps people just couldn’t care less any more.
Fuel prices going down this evening? (Mar 23rd) - alan1302
For some extraordinary reason there was quite a large queue at my local petrol station mid afternoon yesterday. Nobody bothering to wait for the 5p drop ? Or perhaps people just couldn’t care less any more.

Or maybe they just need some fuel?

Just a reminder that the full reduction should be 6p/litre (5p + 20% VAT)

Fuel prices going down this evening? (Mar 23rd) - nellyjak

24 hours after the anouncement there is no change whatsoever in local pumps prices here in sleepy Rutland..?

Just filled up my van at Costco at £1.669 / litre (72 litres ~£120)

Its costing me just over 5p per mile extra for fuel as this time last year (~£88), i.e.+36%.

Fuel prices going down this evening? (Mar 23rd) - RichT54

Today's rocket attack on the Saudi Oil facility in Jeddah is not going to help fuel prices.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12574973/f1-continuing-with-saudi-arabian-gp-as-planned-after-jeddah-attack

Edited by RichT54 on 25/03/2022 at 20:48

Today's rocket attack on the Saudi Oil facility in Jeddah is not going to help fuel prices.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12574973/f1-continuing-with-saudi-arabian-gp-as-planned-after-jeddah-attack

3rd or 4th one this week as well, don't think it will affect the oil price though as it's not unusual for this to happen (Sadly)

Fuel prices going down this evening? (Mar 23rd) - primus 1

Well my local bp went down to £1.60, then up to £1.76..!!

Fuel prices going down this evening? (Mar 23rd) - Xileno

Local garage near me (West Wilts) this morning petrol £1.65 and diesel £1.75. Might have to go back to my electric lawnmower!

Fuel prices going down this evening? (Mar 23rd) - Crickleymal

No sign of any change round here (Gloucestershire). I saw someone on Facebook saying garages were putting up prices by 5p before the fuel duty change came in.

Fuel prices going down this evening? (Mar 23rd) - HGV ~ P Valentine

if their costs suddenly got reduced by half they would still not reduce their prices, and the average over the entire country would not differ to an equal amount.

Fuel prices going down this evening? (Mar 23rd) - Engineer Andy

if their costs suddenly got reduced by half they would still not reduce their prices, and the average over the entire country would not differ to an equal amount.

No, but the duty is paid after all other costs and then VAT is added, so a 5p cut in duty should attract (all other things being equal) a 6p cut in the price they can offer at the pumps without any financial penalty to the retailer or wholesaler.

That many have not passed on the cut (in part or in full) either means they are trying to profiteer from it (including delaying passing it on, which is often what they do) or that the wholesale price increased and offset any duty reduction to some degree.

Fuel prices going down this evening? (Mar 23rd) - HGV ~ P Valentine

Most of us know that the major fuel suppliers to the public, are greedy bar stewards and have "blamed" taxation for the high price of fuel, this latest episode of reducing tax blows all excuses ( not reasons ) out of the water and confirms that they will rob us at every opportunity to line their pockets.

I refer of course to the recent cut in fuel tax, and while some have passed 100% of this onto us, the AVERAGE according a news report states is less then half at about 2% being passed onto customers acros the country.

So BP, Shell and Esso I say to you get out of that one if you can.

But people do not help themselves by going to the cheapest places, I live in Littlehampton and use the A27 all the time but I am always amazed that the petrol station on this road is being used despite there being a Sainsbury's, Tesco and Asda, all of which charge less then this petrol station. we all know that motorway services always charge even more, yet they are busy because people do not fill up from home ? Is this laziness on the part of the drivers ? because they do not want to do a small diversion to cheaper places ! Or some other reason ?

If the public are willing to pay more then they need to for fuel, then they have no reason to keep prices low.

No fan of filling stations but surely they would not be able to reduce the price until AFTER their next delivery. Also they might have quarter tanks of fuel invoiced to them before the 6p cut so would need to adjust prices when this was sold other wise loose their margin? They would be invoiced duty and VAT from the refinery? and in turn charge VAT to the customer and claim the VAT charged to them from the refinery. The greater the profit margin at the pump the more VAT is paid by the customer at 20% of the total price

Fuel prices going down this evening? (Mar 23rd) - nellyjak

No fan of filling stations but surely they would not be able to reduce the price until AFTER their next delivery. Also they might have quarter tanks of fuel invoiced to them before the 6p cut so would need to adjust prices when this was sold other wise loose their margin? They would be invoiced duty and VAT from the refinery? and in turn charge VAT to the customer and claim the VAT charged to them from the refinery. The greater the profit margin at the pump the more VAT is paid by the customer at 20% of the total price

Well, my local station is still charging the same as it was before (1.66.9)...and it's had a new delivery.!

The Co-op supermarket 3 miles away is 6p per litre cheaper...so as I was passing I filled up and saved myself £1.50.

Esso station at the end of the M4 Wales is charging £1.91.9 petrol and £1.99.9 litre diesel

Esso station at the end of the M4 Wales is charging £1.91.9 petrol and £1.99.9 litre diesel

Maybe the digital display won't go any higher :-) ?

es is less then half at about 2% being passed onto customers acros the country.

So BP, Shell and Esso I say to you get out of that one if you can.

You do realise most petrol stations are not run by those companies don't you?