What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Performance Family Car - JohnSmith24

Hi All,

As a young family of 4 we currently own a BMW 320i (E90) estate which is just big enough but getting rather old with increasing warning lights and general leaks etc and thus time shortly for an upgrade.

Looking into options currently which fit the bill and would appreciate thoughts/feedback from the collective on the next purchase.

Needs are safety first, solid and reliable, space with bigger boot than the current estate and a lot more poke..! I have typically always gone German or Japanese but willing to be challenged on this. Although I want safety I also care about the environment and I personally have a bit of a difficulty trying to convince myself to go the SUV route and would rather avoid if possible as well as the fact we do a lot of town driving with occasional 2-4hr drives every couple of months (so want to go petrol). Budget max £20k - thoughts?

Performance Family Car - nick62

Might be a bit too old (2006/2007) but a Subaru Legacy Spec. B estate?

Performance Family Car - sammy1

Skoda Octavia VRS petrol auto has a big boot or the estate if you need more space 245 bhp and more than enough poke

Performance Family Car - JohnSmith24

The Octavia VRS is a good shout - definitely a solid family car and good space even in hatch format. My only other thought was the Golf R Estate, quick, big boot and not so common on the road - has anyone had any experiences with this car?

Performance Family Car - Terry W

What you are actually looking for doesn't exist:

• a "bit of poke" and the environment don't usually sit comfortably
  • safe, solid, reliable, bigger, more poke = £50k not £20k
  • £20k with your wish list = 8+ years old - not reliable or cheap to fix

I wish you luck in your search!

A Subaru will be reliable, but horrendous if any genuine parts are necessary.

Performance Family Car - thunderbird

£20k with your wish list = 8+ years old - not reliable or cheap to fix

Does not have to be.

Just done a quick search on Autotrader. and there are 31 Octavia VRS's between £18000 and £20000. The youngest is a 19 plate but the miles are a bit high. The oldest is a 16 plate which makes it 6 years old.

Personally I don't think I will be buying a used "performance" car myself. Probably all been thrashed or seen the wrong side of a hedge and the bills will always be in direct relationship to a new one.

Performance Family Car - thunderbird

A Subaru will be reliable, but horrendous if any genuine parts are necessary.

2 colleagues had Subaru's and you are right about the cost to fix and service, eyewatering on a good day. Problem was neither cars were reliable. Brakes were an annual replacement job (they only did small mileages) and the rear diffs must have been made of cheese.

2 colleagues had Subaru's and you are right about the cost to fix and service, eyewatering on a good day. Problem was neither cars were reliable. Brakes were an annual replacement job (they only did small mileages) and the rear diffs must have been made of cheese.

I bought a 8,000 mile eight month old 2.0R Legacy estate in 2007 and ran it for three years / 50,000 miles. I had the clutch replaced under Subaru warranty within a month of buying it, otherwise it had zero faults in that time. However, it did need new front pads at less than 25,000 miles and all my previous and subsequent vehicles have never needed pads before 70,000 miles. Maybe it was en ex-demonstrator?