What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Auris - Saharan Sand - lucklesspedestrian

Has anyone else had a fun Saturday trying to get the Saharan sand that blew in last week off their car? We had travelled down from Scotland to Suffolk last week, left the car for a few days and discovered it plastered in the stuff on the morning we were due to return. Ironically although it was left by the promenade adjacent to Southwold beach (if anyone knows it), turns out it wasn't local Suffolk sand, oh no! turns out it was nasty foreign Saharan sand causing all the problems! (I'll refrain from making jokes referencing the Daily Express here).

It seems to be incredibly fine sand, getting into every nook and cranny and proving very difficult to shift off the paintwork despite my having waxed the car before we left. I ended up having to T-Cut the Auris today after washing it, which wasn't too arduous admittedly as it's been lovely and sunny back here in Scotland today.

Probably a mistake driving back the near 500 miles back up the road (A14/M6/M74/A9) without putting it through a decent carwash first though as it seems to have baked on.

Makes you wonder what state the cars that operate in and around the sahara are like. Equally, there must be car enthusiasts out there who are 100% the guys to speak to for tips re protecting/cleaning in these conditions.

£4.70 for a pint of Broadside now too....but that's getting off topic I know!

Toyota Auris - Saharan Sand - Alby Back
I lived in South America for 5 years, such things were not unusual, as in sand as opposed to the Saharan variety.

Pressure washer first. Car wash might scratch it.

Oh whoops, you’ve done it already…

Edited by Alby Back on 19/03/2022 at 19:05

I lived in South America for 5 years, such things were not unusual, as in sand as opposed to the Saharan variety. Pressure washer first. Car wash might scratch it. Oh whoops, you’ve done it already…

Nope, specifically said I didn't put it through a car wash. Agree about the pressure washer though, shame the in-laws didn't have one!

Toyota Auris - Saharan Sand - _

I had that, nice and visible on the glass and the white paint...

First watering can to rinse off windows, then soft brush warm water and car shampoo.

No, I meant you’ve washed it already. Hence advice being a bit late.
;-)
No, I meant you’ve washed it already. Hence advice being a bit late. ;-)

True!

Toyota Auris - Saharan Sand - Andrew-T
I lived in South America for 5 years, such things were not unusual, as in sand as opposed to the Saharan variety.

In fact an incredible amount of Saharan sand gets blown across the Atlantic, mostly to the Amazon area I understand.

Well, that’s what it must have been then, I didn’t know that.
A QI thing in fact!
Thanks !
Toyota Auris - Saharan Sand - paul 1963

Had the same here, gave the car a non contact wash with snow foam followed by a good rinse, proper wash today with luck.

The worst thing you can do is try to wash it off by hand, modern paint is so soft even running a finger through the dust will scratch it.

ORB, you really don't want to "wash" your car with a brush no matter how soft, get your self a noodle mitt, much kinder to your paintwork.

Toyota Auris - Saharan Sand - RT

Had the same here, gave the car a non contact wash with snow foam followed by a good rinse, proper wash today with luck.

The worst thing you can do is try to wash it off by hand, modern paint is so soft even running a finger through the dust will scratch it.

ORB, you really don't want to "wash" your car with a brush no matter how soft, get your self a noodle mitt, much kinder to your paintwork.

Ceramic coating when new is beneficial to prevent subsequent scratching but there's a cost involved, either cash if you have it done professionally or time/effort if you DIY.

Ceramic coating when new is beneficial to prevent subsequent scratching but there's a cost involved, either cash if you have it done professionally or time/effort if you DIY.

I use EGP, extra gloss protection by Autoglym, it does take time, you have to have perfectly clean paint and it needs time to cure but it works wonderfully, beads lovely and general muck etc is so much easier to wash off.

Toyota Auris - Saharan Sand - RT

I use EGP, extra gloss protection by Autoglym, it does take time, you have to have perfectly clean paint and it needs time to cure but it works wonderfully, beads lovely and general muck etc is so much easier to wash off.

My Touareg was ceramically coated professionally when new, nearly 7 years ago - it's still protecting the paintwork underneath.

Toyota Auris - Saharan Sand - JonestHon

I spent many years in the middle-East in various places and washing cars is not too popular, never saw a vw Touareg getting washed or a Touareg washing their Land Cruisers.

Toyota Auris - Saharan Sand - _

I didn't.. It was windows and screen only.

Toyota Auris - Saharan Sand - FoxyJukebox
Warm water in a bucket with a squirt of washing up liquid , then a nice hose
rinse did it for me.

Washing up liquid? Really? Terrible for your paint.