What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Can anyone recommend a good Automatic car for - Honda jazzer

Hi guys I recently been driving manual but it kills my wrist and knees (low level arthritis) so now looking for a automatic

Can anyone recommend a good Automatic car for about £3.5 - £4k maybe 80,000 miles or less (if this budget is reasonable ) 5 door, I'm male (so no pink please lol)

I'm based in London, needs to be ULEZ and exclude category D, E etc

Can anyone recommend a good Automatic car for - Engineer Andy

To be ULEZ compliant, it only needs to be an EU4 petrol car (EU6 for diesels), which means you'll have a much wider choice as they can be (like my Mazda3) over 15 years old as opposed to around the 6yo mark for compliant diesels. Admitedly what is allowed in sans-fee may change over the next few years, so bear that in mind.

A good idea for you to give your other requirements / preferences, e.g.

Load capacity (number of seats, boot size, whether it will be used to carry young children or the elderly, etc);

Annual mileage;

Any performance/handling requirements? Sounds like you're looking more for practicality than anything else.

Size (not just with the load capacity) and maouvrability (your medical issue and parking in London may mean a small MPV [like the Jazz] may be beneficial);

Do you also need a car that has easy ingress / egress. Even though some (MPVs / SUVs) are higher up, thet aren't necessarily eaier to get in/out of;

Any other financial constraints that may affect the choice - running costs for some may be considerably higher than others, noting that some petrol autos (especially the traditional torque converter [TC] type) aren't very fuel efficient, though reliable.

I'd shy away from most of the 'dual clutch' autos because they aren't that reliable, especially when used in a 'stop-start' urban setting (the Hyundai/KIA DCT version is better on that front, older cars (which are far more likely to be within your budget) of theirs are TC though.

Very comprehensive reply Andy. Ok here goes

I'm looking gor something to.gp football and local shops and back . The odd maybe once a month 2 hour long journey but usually my.journey is max 45 mins one way once a week . The rest max 30 mins

I'm not too fussed how good the car is MP3 and all that Jazz ( see what I did there)

My annual mileage will be about 5k / 50 to 100 per week

Seats well just me and few lads to football and back .

I'm looking for cheap and reliable to run, tax insure etc over something that will attract the lads.

Maybe uonda civic ? Mazda 3 you mentioned

I could maybe push to 3

4.5k if it would make a difference , as I bought a jazz in October 2021 and 6 months later not keen on it anymore :-/

Edited by Honda jazzer on 13/03/2022 at 00:03

Can anyone recommend a good Automatic car for - badbusdriver

A Civic within this budget (8th gen, 2006-2011) would probably have the i shift automated manual. which you don't want.

You'd be safe enough with the Mazda 3 though.

Another old favourite at this budget would be the Ford Focus

But with arthritic knees, I'd be inclined to look at cars with a slightly higher seating position. Two which spring to mind would be the Ford Fusion (the 1.6 not the 1.4) and the Nissan Note. Both very reliable and offer a decent amount of space within a fairly small footprint.

Thanks BBD yeah I'd definitely like to avoid cars that have known issues .

I don't mind things going wrong due to wear and tear but not bad design.

Would like tk stay out of the garage as long as possible.

Ok I'll check those cars out .

Ford focus has enough doace for me to be honest.

I live by myself and drive maybe 2 or 3 times a week . I do enjoy it though . In terms of higher seat great thought but I can always add a cushion etc

also do you think its too soon to sell my car only had it 6 months

In terms of higher seat great thought but I can always add a cushion etc

Yes, you can, but if you find a higher seating position helps, a cushion will be something of a compromise compared to a car designed from the outset with a higher seat. Up to you of course, but I'd try the two I suggested before writing them off. We used to have a Fusion and my wife, who has arthritis in her hips and knees, found it a very easy car to get into and out of.

Ford focus has enough doace for me to be honest.

Just to be clear, both Fusion and Note are smaller cars than a Focus in terms of length and width. Their spaciousness comes through the extra height.

also do you think its too soon to sell my car only had it 6 months

It will possibly raise some alarm bells to prospective buyers, but just tell them you've decided you need an auto because of the arthritis, or make up something like you've lost your job and need the money (very plausible in the current financial climate). Alternatively, sell it to WBAC or whichever other buying company offers you the best price.

A question why don't I want the civic I shift Manual ?

Somw other ones that came uo in my search

Vauxhall Astra 1.8i Desgn, a conventional auto that's robust & reliable:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202203023...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202203083...

Elite:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202201271...

IAstra, in SRI Spec:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202202072...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202203123...

Kia Ceed:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202203113...

Mazda 3:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202202252...

A question why don't I want the civic I shift Manual ?

There are two types of automated manual gearboxes, single and dual clutch versions. Dual clutch versions can offer very quick gear changes on a performance car (the MK5 Golf GTI DSG was half a second quicker 0-60 than the manual). But they are complex things if they go wrong, and can still suffer from the dithering hesitancy of the single clutch manuals. The i shift is a single clutch automated manual and as such, the gear changes can be slow and ponderous, with the box seemingly unsure of what gear to select. Approach a junction, slow quickly then immediately apply throttle to get into a gap in the traffic and you will quite possibly find nothing happens. Then a second or two later, the box decides to go, by which time, the gap is no longer there. Pulling away, especially when cold, will probably result in juddering. Multi story parking and reversing uphill can be problematic too. We currently have a Suzuki Ignis with a single clutch job and after more than 18 months, I really wish we'd gone for something else, just because of that gearbox!.

Vauxhall Astra 1.8i Desgn, a conventional auto that's robust & reliable:

The auto box in the Astra is certainly conventional and reliable. But I'm fairly certain forum member and ex motor trader SLO warns prospective buyers away from the 1.8 engine due to issues, though I don't recall exactly what. If you want an Astra, go for the 1.6.

Kia Ceed:

The Kia Ceed (and its mechanically identical twin, the Hyundai i30) are both worthy and reliable buys with a n/a 1.6 coupled with a reliable t/c auto box (check carefully for corrosion underneath on early examples like this).

Mazda 3:

Mazda 3 is all good assuming the usual used car checks raise no alarm bells.

Yeah SLO recommended me some good ones last time,

hhmmm i'm not too fussed about performance most of my roads are 50mph any way lol

much more concerned about things going wrong, so do you recommend dual clutch. seems like youre not happy with your single clutch.

Can anyone recommend a good Automatic car for - Engineer Andy

Very comprehensive reply Andy. Ok here goes

I'm looking gor something to.gp football and local shops and back . The odd maybe once a month 2 hour long journey but usually my.journey is max 45 mins one way once a week . The rest max 30 mins

I'm not too fussed how good the car is MP3 and all that Jazz ( see what I did there)

My annual mileage will be about 5k / 50 to 100 per week

Seats well just me and few lads to football and back .

I'm looking for cheap and reliable to run, tax insure etc over something that will attract the lads.

I could maybe push to 3

4.5k if it would make a difference , as I bought a jazz in October 2021 and 6 months later not keen on it anymore :-/

One of the downsides of petrol TC autos, especially ones older than 10 years (before some makes introuced small-capacity turbo petrols) is that they are, in addition to lower mpg, they have higher CO2 and thus VED tax rates, mainly because they'll be cars that will be pre-2017 VED rate changes.

My (gen-1) 2005-built Mazda3 (1.6 petrol manual) has a CO2 rate of 172 and is VED group H, now costing arounf £250, the auto version may be even higher. The newer gen-2 models improved on that score but you'll end up probably the same as my car.

Whether your budget could get a gen-3 car (2L auto), which will be a VED group D (pre March 2017) or the standard rate (post March 2017) of around £155, I don't know - probably not for the higher trim levels you're looking for.

I found that they are also a bit lower than the first two generations of the mazda3, so getting in/out for you may be more of a problem. Driving wise they are decent enough for your needs.

I'd say that you may need to sacrifice some spec to gain a newer car that will be in better condition and more efficient (and thus will cost less to tax and fuel), whatever you go for.

Finding a car that impresses your mates looks or performance-wise might be something you might need to scrifice in the current climate of high costs and uncertainty. Many people will sort of be in a similar situation in the London area (especially as Mayor Khan is looking to extend the ULEZ zone) and thus petrol cars in particular will be even more sought after.

The Fusion and Note, as BBD says, are useful cars that make good use of the space - my sister used to own a Fusion (admitedly the diesel) and it was a nice little car albiet in upper trim levels. The same VED and efficiency issues as for the Mazda will be in play, though looking at the Note perhaps a bit less so than for the Fusion. Parking is likely to be much easier with these two as they are compact and boxy.

do you recommend dual clutch.

No, definitely not!. I'm not a fan anyway due to their complexity, and at your budget, it is going to be something older, so even more reason to avoid.

hi guys just wanted to bump this topic, for any more recommendations i'm not fussy about brand of car or to fussy about colour but would like the following

something reliable, 5 doors, economical

i drive about 5k to 10k max a year, i drive safely (no need for speed), automatic, needs to be ULEZ (they're planning to expand it)

budget £5k to £6k

Can anyone recommend a good Automatic car for - Adampr

You'll get a decent Kia Venga for that sort of money

Can anyone recommend a good Automatic car for - Heidfirst

would like the following

something reliable, 5 doors, economical

i drive about 5k to 10k max a year, i drive safely (no need for speed), automatic, needs to be ULEZ (they're planning to expand it)

budget £5k to £6k

Can you get a Toyota Auris hybrid for that where you live?

Small boot though by comparison with e.g. Focus/Golf