VW Passat - Heater not blowing hot air on full blast - Gavin Fernandes

Hi,

I recently bought a VW Passat. The car is in good nick, no mechanical issues and HPI clear.

The only issue I noted is that when I turn on the heater to full blast (setting 6) and the hottest temperature setting it does not seem to blow out hot air, its luke warm. Contrast this to when the setting is on 3, the air blown out is a lot hotter.

I've checked the coolant level and it looks ok (though i did have to top it up when I bought it).

Any advice on how to fix this? I was thinking maybe a coolant flush, change the air and cabin filters. Potentially could be a blown gasket but then surely the coolant level would decrease significantly.

VW Passat - Heater not blowing hot air on full blast - Bromptonaut

My first thought would be the heater control flaps. I assume it's an air blending set up where the heater is in the circuit all the time with warm air dumped overboard on cooler settings. I don't think I've had a recent car with a water valve for the heater.

Head gasket symptoms are funny things. The Peugeot 104ZS I owned from 83 to 86 had regular trouble in this department. Steam in the exhaust, water in the oil and bubbles audible in the heater circuit all showed up at different times.

The coolant level could drop dramatically but at other times it was kept artificially high by combustion gasses trapped in the pipework.

VW Passat - Heater not blowing hot air on full blast - brum

Lift your bonnet and check the coolant reservoir. If it has "Mit Silikat" printed on it then this is likely the reason. Certain engines of a certain vintage, mainly the tdi diesels and 2.0 tsi had a permeable bag of silicate granules suspended in the coolant tank, the purpose of this being it supplies a slow release of additional silicate for corrosion protection as the silicate in the G13 coolant get used up with age.

Problem is the bag often disintegrates or splits and empties its entire contents into the cooling system. This forms a fine sand like sludge that blocks primarily the heater matrix and reduces the flow/heat output, can also block the radiator.

Dealers know all about this common problem, there are TPIs issued, but I don't know if VW will honour these outside of warranty.

Visible symptoms are the coolant taking on a murky brown colour and/or the reservoir being coated inside with a residue. The coolant should be a pink or purple colour and rhe fluid clear.

Unfortunately its very difficult if not impossible to flush out taking several flushes, and often not successful as the sludge sets hard in the fine passages in the heater matrix. Needless to say its an expensive fix for a design/quality issue, costing several hundred pounds at a dealer if a new matrix is required.

Later engines the silicate bag was removed, and the coolant changed to G12EVO and a recommendation to change the coolant every x years.

If your car doesn't have "Mit Silikat" printed on the coolant reservoir, then this isn't the problem.

VW Passat - Heater not blowing hot air on full blast - bathtub tom

Is it a diesel? The heater could be removing more heat than the engine's producing.