What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
MG3 - Car Suggestions - Rossg2020

Hello, Im currently in the market for a second car. Budget £6,000. This car will primarily used for commuting short distance to work, and taking the dog out walks. Ideally looking for 5dr, petrol, low running costs & reliable.

im going to take a look at a MG3 1.5 Form Sport tomorrow, 2017 plate, 42,500. Price £5,995.

Any thoughts would be fully apreciated.

MG3 - Car Suggestions - badbusdriver

As far as I am aware, the MG is not that efficient. Quite a crude engine going by reviews, it does not drive like it has 105bhp either being reluctant to rev. There are much better cars available for £6k.

Edited by badbusdriver on 11/03/2022 at 11:25

MG3 - Car Suggestions - daveyK_UK
This engine is best at over 3000 revs which means you will be using a bit of fuel and it won’t be too efficient.

It’s not a bad car, just not as nice to drive as others.
MG3 - Car Suggestions - _

As usual, Make sure it has a full MG DEALER stamped service record, done on time or the 7 year warranty will be worth NOTHING. You have to go through an MG dealer and "customer services will only refer you back to the dealer..... Some early cars had oil lubrication problems, but go to the MG rover forum for more info

www.mg-rover.org/forums/mg-3.210/

nice enough as a small cheap car. the year 2 and 4 and 6 year services are big services inc very expensive spark plugs...

Again, make sure you have proof of servicing.

Edited by _ORB_ on 11/03/2022 at 17:12

MG3 - Car Suggestions - SLO76
I don’t rate them at all. These are poorly built, cheap and nasty Chinese built rubbish as far as I’m concerned. There’s really nothing beyond the 7yr warranty to recommend them for. An older 1.25 Fiesta, Toyota Yaris 1.33, Mazda 2 or Suzuki Swift would make a far better used buy. Was it this one perchance?

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202201281882875

Edited by SLO76 on 11/03/2022 at 20:47

MG3 - Car Suggestions - badbusdriver

For the OP, you have not given any details as to what you need for the car other than low running costs and 5 doors.

So idly looking through Autotrader, here are a few I'd be looking at in order of ascending size. I've worked on the assumption of a little wiggle room re price, so up to £6.5k.

Citroen C1/Peugeot 108/Toyota Aygo. Pretty small with a small boot, but 5 door versions are available on all three. The 1.0 engine is plenty nippy enough for a car that small and light, they are very reliable and very efficient. A 1.2 engine was offered in the C1 and 108, but for a town/city runabout it isn't necessary. You could get into a 2018 example for the budget.

Suzuki Celerio. These are a bit more spacious and practical with a usefully bigger boot despite still being very small. Very reliable and very efficient, you could get into a car as young as 2019.

Dacia Sandero. Similar size to the MG but a bit more space in both cabin and boot. For your usage, it would be best to avoid the diesel, and because of questionable reliability, also avoid the 0.9 TCE. 2018 cars are available within this budget.

The cars SLO mentions are all good and reliable, but you'd be looking at cars from around 2014/5.

I'd favour the Suzuki Celerio myself as the best combination of running costs, space and age of car.

MG3 - Car Suggestions - paul 1963

Got to agree with slo, don't bother even looking at the MG, awful things.

BBD's suggestion of a Celerio is a good one as are slo's suggestions.