What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Speed limiters - martin.mc

www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1566483/driving-...y

Looks like they are coming, microchip shortage or not. What do others think about this?

Speed limiters - badbusdriver

Until such times as it has been determined exactly how speed limiters will work (this article certainly doesn't say), I'm not sure there is much point in discussing it again.

I've no problem with it myself, the (12 year old) van I drive 90% of the time I'm on the road is already limited to 70mph.

Speed limiters - Theophilus

I wouldn't have a problem in principle with a speed limiter - but to judge by the occasions when driving on a motorway and passing under a bridge carrying a rural lane my sat-nav has indicated a speed limit dropping from 70mph to 30/40mph I doubt whether a GPS-based system is sufficiently sophisticated to avoid sudden alarms / braking.

Speed limiters - mcb100
Assuming the proposed legislation won’t change from the original proposal a couple of years ago, speed limiters will be able to be overridden by pressing the accelerator all the way to the floor. So no big issue.
Speed limiters - John F

A bit gimmicky. My Audi has two of them. They are called 'speed warning function'. I never use them, as I can still see the speedometer reasonably clearly, even at night when it sports its 'illuminated function'. I remember one going 'ding' occasionally - perhaps 100mph was a too low setting ;-)

...speed limiters will be able to be overridden....

So not much of a limiter, then.

Speed limiters - Smileyman

My Toledo has a speed warning option under the guise of "Winter tyres" .. it is useful to alert me (and passengers!) to any inadvertent speed creep on the motorway but of course useless if driving on a road with a lower limit.

I see a role for limiters but a limited one, and probably not when needed most, for instance will they activate if driving in France in bad weather on the motorway when there are lower speed limits in force?

Speed limiters - Ethan Edwards

Given how the EU works, mandatory fitment but ability to disable, is just the first salami slice. Next will be mandatory usage and GPS reporting of speed location etc. Followed by appropriate fines, taxes etc. If you object now you might stop it. Later on, not a chance.

Speed limiters - galileo

Given how the EU works, mandatory fitment but ability to disable, is just the first salami slice. Next will be mandatory usage and GPS reporting of speed location etc. Followed by appropriate fines, taxes etc. If you object now you might stop it. Later on, not a chance.

The bigger problem is how our 'Government' not only adopts EU rules but gold-plates them making them more intrusive, even now when we are supposed to be out of the EU.

Speed limiters - Bromptonaut

Are any of those things actually in the competence of the EU?

Speed limiters - galileo

Are any of those things actually in the competence of the EU?

The EU mandates features such as ABS, Emergency Brake Assist, Lane guidance systems etc, so manufacturers are obliged to include them: if they don't, their cars won't achieve the NICAP ratings required and EU type approvals.

So in effect, all these electronic wheezes which are sold as 'safety improvements' have been implemented on a 'we know best' basis, like so much legislation which takes choice away from the individual citizen.

Lane guidance, as one example has been found to be dangerous on narrow roads and where centreline markings are worn away, and can be an irritation to a competent driver.

Most of these ideas are geared toward 'autonomous' vehicles, which can be made subject to control by Big Brother bureaucracy.

We don't have a Government that is willing to deviate from EU policy on these matters, it could if it wanted to, but seems to have the same agenda.

Edited by galileo on 21/02/2022 at 15:19

Speed limiters - Andrew-T

<< Most of these ideas are geared toward 'autonomous' vehicles, which can be made subject to control by Big Brother bureaucracy. We don't have a Government that is willing to deviate from EU policy on these matters, it could if it wanted to, but seems to have the same agenda. >>

The difficulty here is setting the balance between 'us' who see ourselves as experienced and competent drivers able to make correct decisions about appropriate speed (etc) and all 'them' who don't fit that description and need cars that make the right decisions for them to keep 'us' safe ?

Discuss ? :-)

Speed limiters - galileo

<< Most of these ideas are geared toward 'autonomous' vehicles, which can be made subject to control by Big Brother bureaucracy. We don't have a Government that is willing to deviate from EU policy on these matters, it could if it wanted to, but seems to have the same agenda. >>

The difficulty here is setting the balance between 'us' who see ourselves as experienced and competent drivers able to make correct decisions about appropriate speed (etc) and all 'them' who don't fit that description and need cars that make the right decisions for them to keep 'us' safe ?

A few minutes watching 'Dashcam UK' on YouTube will show that some steering wheel attendants perform brainless manoeuvres resulting in accidents or near misses which no amount of 'driver assistance' technology would prevent.

These people seem unsuited to the task of controlling a vehicle of any kind as they are not aware of their surroundings (especially other road users).

Current driving instruction and testing doesn't seem to weed these people out, I honestly can not see an easy solution, more and more (subject to failures) electronics does not look as if it is the answer.

Speed limiters - Terry W

At some point autonomous vehicles will match (and then exceed) the performance of humans in controlling a vehicle safely. The only questin is when.

What would be informative is an analysis of accidents prevented, or caused by, current technology - lane departure warnings, auto emergency braking, auto parking etc.

Speed limiters sit in the same category.

No point in getting excited now - l doubt they will need to be retrofitted so there is probably at least another 10-20 years of non-speed limited driving

Speed limiters - mcb100
Lots of published data from reputable sources regarding autonomous emergency braking, with figures as high as a 45% reduction in rear end accidents.
A motorway full of cars all using active cruise control will flow more safely and quickly than a line of drivers whose speed continually fluctuates with the attendant overreactions from the driver behind.

A little more information from Auto Express website.

"The European Transport Safety Council only recommends that a full on/off switch for the limiters should be included to aid public acceptance at introduction"

"The mandatory speed limiters will be introduced at the same time as a raft of other safety equipment, which includes data loggers, autonomous emergency braking, lane keep assist, a driver fatigue detection system and pre-wiring for alcohol interlock devices. All new models given type approval from May 2022 will be required to have these systems, while models on the market prior to that date must have them by May 2024."

Don't like to get political on a motoring website, but it's this sort of thing that made me decide to vote Leave. Doesn't seem to have made much difference though.

Edited by martin.mc on 21/02/2022 at 23:54

At some point autonomous vehicles will match (and then exceed) the performance of humans in controlling a vehicle safely. The only questin is when.

Looking at this question in the round, the AI watchers are already imagining a scenario where nearly anything we would consider doing might be done by a robot. Everyday life might then be rather a waste of time. Just remember the old adage about the devil making work. :-(

Seems to me another vanity project, a bit like HS2 may turn out to be, if present thoughts about Working From Home becoming more common are correct.

Edited by Andrew-T on 22/02/2022 at 09:24

Speed limiters - John F

The problem is with 'them' and 'us',

the balance causes such a fuss.

Being asked to ponder, then discuss;

I think the 'them' should go by bus! ;-)

Speed limiters - Terry W

We all personally seem to believe we as drivers are alert, hugely competent, informed, observant etc. We never make mistakes, get tired, mis-judge situations etc.

Yet we still have accidents - sometimes minor, sometimes major - which are inevitably due to the incompetence of that with which we collide. Not just other vehicles, but walls, trees, kerbs, potholes etc etc. It was the fault of the weather, local council, electronics etc etc.

Speed limiters will be a mandatory installation for all new vehicles at some point - and wholly justified if they can be proven to reduce accidents. The option to turn it off will be eliminated as (potentially) all accidents will involve another vehicle.

Insurance companies may refuse cover if the system is disabled, charge a higher premium, or assume that in an accident the driver with the disabled limiter is at fault unless they can unambiguously prove otherwise.

Speed limiters - sammy1

"""""The mandatory speed limiters will be introduced at the same time as a raft of other safety equipment, which includes data loggers, autonomous emergency braking, lane keep assist, a driver fatigue detection system and pre-wiring for alcohol interlock devices. All new models given type approval from May 2022 will be required to have these systems, while models on the market prior to that date must have them by May 2024."""""

Can only think that second hand cars will be even more desirable to those who want a hassle free car like they used to make. Ie jump in and drive!

Speed limiters will be a mandatory installation for all new vehicles at some point - and wholly justified if they can be proven to reduce accidents.

Scientifically there is no need to look for proof, as if the speed of all vehicles approached zero, so would the number of accidents - except those caused by falling trees perhaps ?

So the answer is to stop driving, personally or autonomously :-)

Agree with Sammy. Used cars are looking a more attractive proposition day by day. I might just buy a Vauxhall Cavalier Mk3 and join the Classic Car movement.

Speed limiters - sammy1

I do not think it is the upper speed limit that needs looking at but the rate of acceleration of some modern cars particularly 0-62 in under say 6 secs which some exploit even in built up areas. Curbs could have been placed on the new tech of some EVs which are getting ever quicker.

Used cars are looking a more attractive proposition day by day. I might just buy a Vauxhall Cavalier Mk3 and join the Classic Car movement.

I could let you have a 1994 (Mk1) Pug 306 petrol which would probably be better ... :-)