What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
All - HC giving way to pedestrians - sammy1

When I posted ""another use for your LH """ it got taken over by cycling rules.

Another equally important new rule is the advice to give way to pedestrians crossing at junctions. If you are turning left and a pedestrian is on the kerb waiting to cross you should give priority to the pedestrian and stop to let them cross.

All well and good in theory but its a bit like flashing your headlights to allow a car to cross your path and we all know what problems and misunderstandings this can lead to.

Stopping to let someone cross is fraught with danger for yourself in that someone may rear end you. For the pedestrian he is foolish if a car stopping gives him ""permission to cross""

The pedestrian should lookout for himself. There could be a car coming on his opposite lane that may not be so obliging in wanting to give way to the pedestrian. Also a cyclist may be making the same turn as the car and equally not be prepared to stop.

I think pedestrians have managed quite well up these new rules and I think it poses a greater danger particularly to children

All - HC giving way to pedestrians - Manatee

There's been much hysteria about these rule changes, most of which aren't really changes to current advice, but this is the only questionable one for me.

The current rule says you you give priority to pedestrians crossing, the revised one say you should give way to those "waiting to cross" which you can argue turns every junction into a zebra.

In practice I don't think it will change my behaviour much, as a ped or a driver. If somebody looks as if they are waiting to cross I'll often give way or at least make eye contact and establish who's doing what. And I don't see peds launching themselves into traffic without looking.

On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised to see some clarification to this in future.

All - HC giving way to pedestrians - edlithgow

And I don't see peds launching themselves into traffic without looking.

I don't see that here in Taiwan either.

I see them launching themselves into traffic while looking at the smartphone. Especially students around campus.

I refer to them as "Smartphone Zombies"

Screechy brakes are a definite asset in this context, but it only temporarily wakes them up.

All - HC giving way to pedestrians - HGV ~ P Valentine

I have not looked at the new highway code, Yet ! But if it follows the same rules as all previous highway code books then ...

Rules of LAW are always started with you must, and are in bold.

You should is only advisery.

All - HC giving way to pedestrians - Will deBeast

>> Stopping to let someone cross is fraught with danger for yourself in that someone may rear end you.

On a high speed road, sure. But in slower-moving town centre traffic it should be less of an issue. And at the end of the day, a car is just a lump of metal.

>> The pedestrian should lookout for himself.

I doubt many of them will be looking to be run over. But it can sometimes be really hard to find a gap in the traffic cross a road safely. Especially if you're elderly or infirm.

Round here, it's hard to get a motorist to stop even when I'm stepping onto a zebra. One even gave me the finger recently. I welcome the changes.

Many drivers are just in a world of their own, completely oblivious to the harm that their 1.5tonne metal box can do to a fragile human skeleton. The worst examples seem to be around the local primary school unfortunately. Parking on junctions, zig-zags and generally making life much more dangerous for the children trying to cross safely.

Edited by Will deBeast on 04/02/2022 at 08:11

All - HC giving way to pedestrians - mcb100
I’ve no problem letting pedestrians cross a road into which I’m about to turn. I don’t need the Highway Code to advise me that it’s a considerate thing to do.
But the decision to cross has to be the pedestrian’s - I don’t wave, beckon or flash lights to facilitate it. They have a potentially better view of the whole situation than I do, and I don’t want to wave them into the path of a vehicle I hadn’t seen/couldn’t see.
Same with letting drivers out of a side street - they get eye contact and nothing more, it has to be their decision to go, not mine.
All - HC giving way to pedestrians - Brit_in_Germany

The rule is there to effectively apportion blame in the event of an accident. In this case it would imply that the pedestrian was crossing the road and was hit be the car. I see no problem with this. Cars behind the one turning would have seen the indicator and the brake lights so the chances of a rear-ending should be remote (if the car drivers actually drive in a manner which is considerate of other road users).

I hope the rule is there to prevent accidents.

One would hope so. Has anyone noticed the number of pedestrians and cyclists going around with those funny wires or white plugs sticking in their ears oblivious to what's going on around them! Some have those very expensive ear muffs

One would hope so. Has anyone noticed the number of pedestrians and cyclists going around with those funny wires or white plugs sticking in their ears oblivious to what's going on around them! Some have those very expensive ear muffs

All - HC giving way to pedestrians - alan1302

Has anyone noticed the number of pedestrians and cyclists going around with those funny wires or white plugs sticking in their ears oblivious to what's going on around them!

They are earphones

Has anyone noticed the number of pedestrians and cyclists going around with those funny wires or white plugs sticking in their ears oblivious to what's going on around them!

They are earphones

Yes headphones. The number of cyclists and pedestrians using these in potentially dangerous situations is growing. To shut off one of your 5 senses in traffic is asking for trouble.

All - HC giving way to pedestrians - Bromptonaut

Yes headphones. The number of cyclists and pedestrians using these in potentially dangerous situations is growing. To shut off one of your 5 senses in traffic is asking for trouble.

I absolutely agree with the principle of not cutting off a sense; I lose track of how many times in London traffic hearing a siren or whatever was first warning of an issue.

There are however many different types of headphones/earpieces. Some are closed back or even noise isolating. Others are open and admit significant external noise.

Don't defend their use cycling, walking or for that matter driving but they don't necessarily remove all hearing.

All - HC giving way to pedestrians - primus 1

"Smartphone Zombies"

or “ smombies,

All - HC giving way to pedestrians - Bolt

I absolutely agree with the principle of not cutting off a sense; I lose track of how many times in London traffic hearing a siren or whatever was first warning of an issue.

There are however many different types of headphones/earpieces. Some are closed back or even noise isolating. Others are open and admit significant external noise.

Don't defend their use cycling, walking or for that matter driving but they don't necessarily remove all hearing.

Most people use noise cancelling so they can hear the music/speech better, and most these days come with N/C as standard, closed back do not prevent outside sound interference to what you listen to unless the volume is high

another point is Blind dogs waiting to cross the road, they are taught afaia to wait until the road is clear before they cross with the owner, which would mean the dog and owner would be standing at the junction a long time if drivers stop to let them go as they are not trained to do that, and its not a good idea to train them to cross the road as it is because they might think its ok to cross in oncoming traffic not stopping.

imo these rules are not very well thought out and for most drivers need educating more about it which means taking more notice of whats occurring on the road which not many do, seen many talking to passengers rather than look at the road so I can understand why so many accidents and its not always caused by headphones earbuds

another point is Blind dogs waiting to cross the road, they are taught afaia to wait until the road is clear before they cross with the owner, which would mean the dog and owner would be standing at the junction a long time if drivers stop to let them go as they are not trained to do that, and its not a good idea to train them to cross the road as it is because they might think its ok to cross in oncoming traffic not stopping.

Are you sure about that? How would they deal with zebra crossings? Cars have to stop for those.

All - HC giving way to pedestrians - FiestaOwner

Are you sure about that? How would they deal with zebra crossings? Cars have to stop for those.

Would have to agree with Bolt. See the short video below.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=srnsBlQM6I0

Thanks, interesting video. I suppose when it's a Zebra crossing cars stop at both sides so the dog knows that it is then safe to cross and they will be taught on Zebra crossings when in training.

Thanks, interesting video. I suppose when it's a Zebra crossing cars stop at both sides so the dog knows that it is then safe to cross and they will be taught on Zebra crossings when in training.

I Think ... This Will Be Chaos! Highway Code Priority Updates for Pedestrians, Cyclists, Road Users - YouTube

interesting videos are made by the above some may be interested in?, or not, but he makes good points imo...

All - HC giving way to pedestrians - Andrew-T

<< I suppose when it's a Zebra crossing cars stop at both sides so the dog knows that it is then safe to cross and they will be taught on Zebra crossings when in training. >>

Don't forget to allow for crossings with a centre refuge - those are considered to be two separate crossings ....

<< I suppose when it's a Zebra crossing cars stop at both sides so the dog knows that it is then safe to cross and they will be taught on Zebra crossings when in training. >>

Don't forget to allow for crossings with a centre refuge - those are considered to be two separate crossings ....

The assistance dog objection sounds like rubbish to me. Dogs must have to learn every variety of zebra, toucan, pelican etc. Cars stop at all of them.

The assistance dog objection sounds like rubbish to me. Dogs must have to learn every variety of zebra, toucan, pelican etc. Cars stop at all of them.

I'll take the experience of someone that has an assistance dog over your thoughts on this one.

I'll take the experience of someone that has an assistance dog over your thoughts on this one.

A crossing is different from cars just stopping on the road.

To a dog?

You're right, not my area of expertise. But I first saw this posted on our local FB group. I asked if the same problem didn't arise with crossings generally. Answer came there none.

To a dog?

You're right, not my area of expertise. But I first saw this posted on our local FB group. I asked if the same problem didn't arise with crossings generally. Answer came there none.

Is there members of the FB group that have assistance dogs?

To a dog?

Don't know. This just seems to be one of those viral things, shared by people with no clue. I've seen it several times now and each time there was a chorus of condemnation of the "i****s" who dreamed up the HC changes.

There was a well publicised consultation around the changes, I even commented myself on parts. It would be strange if those with knowledge of this hadn't contributed or in fact been invited to do so.

To a dog?

Don't know. This just seems to be one of those viral things, shared by people with no clue. I've seen it several times now and each time there was a chorus of condemnation of the "i****s" who dreamed up the HC changes.

There was a well publicised consultation around the changes, I even commented myself on parts. It would be strange if those with knowledge of this hadn't contributed or in fact been invited to do so.

People with assistance dogs and RNIB may have been consulted but that does not mean that it may have an effect on the assistance dogs. Why do you think it's not a real thing? The person in the YouTube video showed and explained the issue.

People with assistance dogs and RNIB may have been consulted but that does not mean that it may have an effect on the assistance dogs. Why do you think it's not a real thing? The person in the YouTube video showed and explained the issue.

I didn't say it's not a real thing - but perhaps it isn't. No doubt there's something there to understand, but the obvious questions weren't answered in the video and none of the people who share this stuff seem to be able to explain the unique problem with the proposals, which (in theory) turn every junction into a zebra crossing without the stripes. And what did the RNIB and Guide Dogs say in their responses to the consultation? The sharers and the ones vilifying the supposed fascist bureaucrats making the rules don't care.

A bit of digging discovered what appears to be the RNIB response, It makes no mention of this 'problem'.

www.rnib.org.uk/sites/default/files/RNIB%20Highway...x

This is what "Guide Dogs" say. There's no suggestion that they have a problem with the new rules either. It's the guidee who decides whether and when to cross.

www.guidedogs.org.uk/news/highway-code-changes/

So I think my scepticism and inclination to dismiss the hysterical reaction of some is mostly justified.

Many crossings are on one way streets.

All - HC giving way to pedestrians - Will deBeast

>> another point is Blind dogs waiting to cross the road...

I think you mean guide dogs :-)

All - HC giving way to pedestrians - bazza

I think the new rules are having a positive effect, I run regularly and a few times now, cars have given way to me at road crossings when I wouldn't normally have expected it. So a thumbs up from me!

All - HC giving way to pedestrians - madf

My personal experience walking this am and trying to cross at a junction ( I was on side road) showed at least one local driver has no clue.

My personal experience walking this am and trying to cross at a junction ( I was on side road) showed at least one local driver has no clue.

Works both ways, some drivers appear to know about it by stopping in the middle of a junction to let pedestrians across the road, others don`t and drive on, as pedestrians are doing, either waiting for traffic to stop, or walking across in front of moving traffic giving the drivers the hump (probably because they don`t know)

Be awhile yet before it sinks in with some drivers and pedestrians me thinks....could be arguments along the way I suspect!

I have noticed that some people are walking slow across a junction in the expectation that traffic will stop for them, but if they don`t they are running between cars when they get halfway across the road, risking being hit by the cars going past.

pedestrians were doing this before- but more are doing it now maybe through impatience at traffic not stopping for them?

All - HC giving way to pedestrians - Terry W

What the statistics show is that pretty much every time a pedestrian and car collide, the pedestrian comes off worse.

It seems reasonable that most pedestrians would be alert to the risks of coming into contact with a moving vehicle and behave accordingly and cautiously.

Wandering into the middle of the road assuming that the cars will stop would be a triumph of idiosy over common sense. I am sure some may try - contenders for the Darwin awards similarly try flawed strategies with predictable outcomes.

Just to add that IMHO common sense and courtesy should prevail in the relationship between motorists, pedestrians and cyclists.

If concerned - fit a dash cam so that you can demonstrate (if necessary) that you were driving reasonably, legally, etc and that any incident occurred due to the wilful stoopidity of others.

All - HC giving way to pedestrians - _

Yes. Have front and rear dashcams.

Just to add that IMHO common sense and courtesy should prevail in the relationship between motorists, pedestrians and cyclists.

Yes I agree. I was wondering if cyclists are expected to give way to pedestrians at junctions. as I cannot see this happening much!

All - HC giving way to pedestrians - Bromptonaut

Yes I agree. I was wondering if cyclists are expected to give way to pedestrians at junctions. as I cannot see this happening much!

A wonderful piece of self contradiction.

All - HC giving way to pedestrians - daveyjp

Had my first experience of this yesterday. Safe to say it will take a while for anything to change!

I needed to turn right into residential street off main road, pedestrians waiting to cross road I was going in to.

I waited, they waited. There was no way they were going to cross and it was further complicated as a vehicle was waiting to turn right from the street into the main road. I was blocking his exit, he was blocking the route for the pedestrians.

I turned, he moved, they crossed,

Had my first experience of this yesterday. Safe to say it will take a while for anything to change!

Sounds about right. I've bought several updated editions since I got my full licence nearly 50 years ago (honest!) but I don't imagine the majority of drivers have. I also have a copy of Roadcraft.

That's just drivers. How many non-driving pedestrians equip themselves with a HC and read it?

Unless there's some serious public information about this (the newspaper reports are nearly all written from a very negative POV and do the opposite of helping) then it won't really change much. Nobody believes there will be any attempt at enforcement because there's nobody to do it.

It's a good thing that not much has actually changed.

All - HC giving way to pedestrians - Andrew-T

<< A wonderful piece of self contradiction. >>

It looks like that, Bromp, but those two sentences were from different posters - the first one was an unmarked quote !