What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
The power of an EV - Trilogy.

twitter.com/Mattisbrilliant/status/148601117786389...0

The power of an EV - mcb100
It’s not so much the power per se, it’s the instant response that can be a little startling on first acquaintance.
No turbos to spool up, no clutch to engage, no transmission to sort itself and find a gear. They just go. You’d have to work hard in an ICE car to beat a Nissan LEAF away from the lights, you can’t fluff your getaway with an electric motor or two.
But, manufacturers have worked hard to get the throttle mapping right so if you want to move forward two inches you can do. A contrast to the early Zoe I drove in 2012, you couldn’t move it less than a metre forwards or backwards.
The power of an EV - badbusdriver

Nothing to do with the power (or indeed responsiveness) of an EV, just somebody pressing the throttle pedal by mistake. I have seen literally hundreds of similar 'accidents' involving ICE cars on YouTube.

Edited by badbusdriver on 25/01/2022 at 19:45

The power of an EV - Trilogy.

Nothing to do with the power (or indeed responsiveness) of an EV, just somebody pressing the throttle pedal by mistake. I have seen literally hundreds of similar 'accidents' involving ICE cars on YouTube.

Didn't realise you were there.

The power of an EV - Metropolis.
I was also there and yes it was accidental pressing of the throttle. Is it still called a throttle on an EV though?
The power of an EV - bathtub tom
I was also there and yes it was accidental pressing of the throttle. Is it still called a throttle on an EV though?

No worse than calling a door mirror a wing mirror?

The power of an EV - Sofa Spud

It shouldn't really be called a 'throttle' on a diesel engine either, since the accelerator pedal normally controls the fuel supply to the cylinders rather than the air supply!

The power of an EV - Metropolis.
You cant park there mate
The power of an EV - SLO76

Hope swmbo doesn’t manage this with her ID3 when she gets it.

The power of an EV - sammy1

I think for throttle, accelerator is more correct. As for EVs I had trouble keeping Scalextric on track

The power of an EV - Xileno

I was going to say accelerator as well. I guess a number of motoring terms will change over time. Do people still refer to "winding down the car window?" That phrase must be dying out.

I'm not sure about these EV will silly performance. Do people really want an EV such as a Tesla that can go 0 to 60 in a few seconds? I would rather have less speed and more range.

The power of an EV - Bolt

I was going to say accelerator as well. I guess a number of motoring terms will change over time. Do people still refer to "winding down the car window?" That phrase must be dying out.

I'm not sure about these EV will silly performance. Do people really want an EV such as a Tesla that can go 0 to 60 in a few seconds? I would rather have less speed and more range.

With the new carbon wrapped motor you can have both as its lighter, more efficient and quicker than the original motor, but will only go in one Tesla at the moment.

"""I'm not sure about these EV will silly performance. Do people really want an EV such as a Tesla that can go 0 to 60 in a few seconds? I would rather have less speed and more range.""

I have mentioned my concern of the performance of some EVs that are coming on stream. You will need the reactions of a F! driver if you drive these at their limit. The other day there was a thread on here expressing peoples concerns about other road users including cyclists and pedestrians which the new Highway Code is seeking more protection. If the Gov is serious about climate change what is the sense of allowing cars that can eat their batteries ,tyres and brakes two or three limes more than your average car. It is a bit like ICE and your 10mpg car and say a 40mpg car the CO2 is proportionately more. The supply of electric will never be totally co2 free.

The power of an EV - Bolt

"""I'm not sure about these EV will silly performance. Do people really want an EV such as a Tesla that can go 0 to 60 in a few seconds? I would rather have less speed and more range.""

I have mentioned my concern of the performance of some EVs that are coming on stream. You will need the reactions of a F! driver if you drive these at their limit. The other day there was a thread on here expressing peoples concerns about other road users including cyclists and pedestrians which the new Highway Code is seeking more protection. If the Gov is serious about climate change what is the sense of allowing cars that can eat their batteries ,tyres and brakes two or three limes more than your average car. It is a bit like ICE and your 10mpg car and say a 40mpg car the CO2 is proportionately more. The supply of electric will never be totally co2 free.

I doubt you will get full performance from these motors as they will be electronically controlled to conserve electricity but there will be the ability to alter for performance driving if its needed

The supply of electric will never be totally co2 free.

That depends how its produced in the first place, and will probably in years to come be from nuclear as at the moment wind turbines are not green due to what they are made of, thats assuming any form of produced electricity can be fully green which is doubtful due to the materials used to make them..

"""I doubt you will get full performance from these motors as they will be electronically controlled to conserve electricity but there will be the ability to alter for performance driving if its needed ""

The manufactures publish the 0-62 figures, what is perhaps encouraging is that a lot of these are putting reasonable top speed limiters on the cars but still well in excess of a 100

The manufactures publish the 0-62 figures, what is perhaps encouraging is that a lot of these are putting reasonable top speed limiters on the cars but still well in excess of a 100

Like the limits on e-scooters that are easily over-ridden?

The power of an EV - badbusdriver

Like the limits on e-scooters that are easily over-ridden?

Not sure the limits on e-scooters (and e-bikes) are that easy to over-ride (though it can of course be done). There are three problems re the official limits on the above, first being that it is relatively easy to buy one in a 'non-UK/EU' spec online which will have a higher limit (if they have one at all). Second is that you can buy e-bikes without a limiter (not sure about e-scooters) which, through a loophole, can be legally sold in the UK. There will be some sort of document to sign stating that you will only use the legally permitted 250w and 15.5mph mode on roads or public paths and that you will only use full power (which on some bikes I've seen will take you to about 45mph) 'off road'. Third is with the limit being only 15.5mph, there is plenty of incentive to bend the rules.

The limiters on EV's (or ICE cars) are a different thing altogether. Not that they can't, but if you take Volvo for example, the limiter is 112mph. How many buyers would find that top speed so objectionable as to bother with having it removed?. There are of course others with lower limits, but they are going to be on cars who's buyers are unlikely to be bothered by a limit of 80-100mph.

How many buyers would find that top speed so objectionable as to bother with having it removed?. There are of course others with lower limits, but they are going to be on cars who's buyers are unlikely to be bothered by a limit of 80-100mph.

I'm sure we all know how easy it is to remove the 155MPH limit on certain cars.

The power of an EV - alan1302

That depends how its produced in the first place, and will probably in years to come be from nuclear as at the moment wind turbines are not green due to what they are made of, thats assuming any form of produced electricity can be fully green which is doubtful due to the materials used to make them..

Nuclear power stations produce a lot of co2 when being built as do hydro electric dams and solar panels...it's about minimising co2 when creating new things and producing the electric in a non polluting way which wind does very well.

The power of an EV - Sofa Spud

Nuclear power stations produce a lot of co2 when being built as do hydro electric dams and solar panels...it's about minimising co2 when creating new things and producing the electric in a non polluting way which wind does very well.

Building offshore windfarms has now become cheaper per kilowatt-hour than building new nuclear power stations . This wasn't always the case, but it has now apparently become so. Every piece of technology uses energy in its production. A single rotation of a large wind turbine would power a house for a day, so it's reasonable to assume that it would generate energy equivalent to that used in its production within in its first couple of weeks of operation.