What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Anyone recommend a good insurance company please? - Whichcar

Please can someone recommend a good company to get a quote from directly and/or a quotation website?

I never know what's best when using a quotation website and getting a quote and going though it that way or to then see who gives the best quote and then to goto the company directly?

Advise most appreciated please

Anyone recommend a good insurance company please? - Will deBeast

I'd suggest following this guide...

www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance/

If you're a member of a union or other club of some sort, it is worth checking whether they do a special deal. I joined Boundless (was the CSMA) which gave me big savings at LV.

Anyone recommend a good insurance company please? - Andrew-T

Depends a bit on whether you want the cheapest quote, or to be more certain of good service if you ever call on them. LV= seem very competitive and have a decent reputation. And don't forget some insurers aren't listed on the comparison sites - Direct Line is one.

And if you have just had a renewal quote you should be able to talk it down a bit if you phone them.

Anyone recommend a good insurance company please? - Engineer Andy

Depends a bit on whether you want the cheapest quote, or to be more certain of good service if you ever call on them. LV= seem very competitive and have a decent reputation. And don't forget some insurers aren't listed on the comparison sites - Direct Line is one.

And if you have just had a renewal quote you should be able to talk it down a bit if you phone them.

Quite right. Insurance firms' quality of service can only really be fully ascertained if you need to make a claim. Most people judge it by price and the service they get when renewing over the phone (especially if that includes a willingness to batter a re-quote down), which often bears little resemblence to that when claiming.

Many people advocate going for the NFU mutual if you want the best service all around. Unfortunately that doesn't come cheap - when I was with esure (up to 2020, quotes previously around the £250 - £275 mark), NFU Mutual were in the £650 range.

Of course, expensive doesn't always mean a good service, and nor does cheap mean the opposite every time. Despite all the online 'reviews' I now trust them far less for authenticity than I did 10-15 years ago - too make positive and negative fake reviews.

The best thing is to get as much real experiences - especially from people (friends, family, colleagues) you know to be honest and who have needed to make a claim and thus properly judge the quality of the service vs the cost / amount of cover provided.

Anyone recommend a good insurance company please? - Metropolis.
This does depend on your priority. If you are like me and see insurance as an expensive inconvenience (others will disagree strongly), then just do go compare/confused.com, get the lowest quote, then call up companies not on the list like Adrian Flux and ask them if they can beat it.
Anyone recommend a good insurance company please? - daveyjp

I generally go on price, but avoid companies i've not heard of or appear to have bad reports.

LV were great when I had a claim over 10 years ago, no idea what they are like now as they have gone through changes.

Currently with GA (Aviva) for both cars, They make no charges for policy changes which was useful a couple of years ago when I had 4 changes in a year on two policies due to my wife's changing employment status and job role.

I have just spent alot on my new car (well the cheapest new car you can find but still alot for me) and really don't mind to pay a little extra in insurance in return for a company who is good at customer service and who doesn't make things hard when making a claim.

Looked at reviews on trustpoilet on LV and also AVIVA and vast majority of reviews on making a claim were diabolical, maybe that's the same for all companies if I was to look or maybe its just because those who had a bad experience when making a claim spend time writing a review.

Edited by Whichcar on 19/01/2022 at 10:42

Anyone recommend a good insurance company please? - Steveieb

Which rates LV the best for car insurance and even beat NFU which are very expensive. But you need to take Watchdogs advice and get a new quote 30 days before the insurance runs out to beat the extra charges been introduced to pay for the new levelling up changes for existing policy holders.

im with LV for motor but recently changed to John Lewis for home insurance when the prices went up . I’m also with Boundless which gives special prices onLV and free legal aid.
LV is now owned by Allianz the German insurance group .

Everyone seems to say how good LV are, but on uktrustpilot when I search claims, can not find one good story. THey all say how amazing they are with the customer service though.

Anyone know which.co.uk ratings for car insurance? ie the top 5?

Anyone recommend a good insurance company please? - FP

If you buy through a comparison site you may well get what you want at a discounted rate, but it's always worth (a) using several comparison sites and (b) getting a quotation directly from an insurer you're interested in. Bear in mind that some insurers don't appear on comparison sites (e.g. Direct Line).

I'm afraid there is no short cut to this, as others have pointed out above. If you want the best deal you have to do the legwork - in this case, spend an hour or two researching. And you need to do this every time your renewal quote comes up; loyalty doesn't count for much, even though the law now prevents insurance companies from offering more attractive deals to new customers. It's just that different companies have different ways of calculating risk.

Anyone recommend a good insurance company please? - Heidfirst

I have been with esure for years but every year I go hrough the whole comparison rigmarole just to check that they are still competitive.

I realise that their policy terms probably aren't as generous as some & that their cs is probably more efficient rather than making one feel "special" but that is what you get for wanting a low premium. Still, the 1 claim that I did have with them years ago I was happy with the handling of.

Anyone used Aviva Car insurance and had a claim? - Whichcar

Hello all,

I am pretty sure I will go with Aviva for Car Insurance.

However, I would like to know of those who have made a claim how it went as reviews on google etc can be alot of people who want to vent frustration and rightly so. So trying to get a more balanced view by asking here. Hope some can chip in please?

You only know how good a insurance company is once you make a claim, customer service means little if making a claim is a nightmare.

Anyone used Aviva Car insurance and had a claim? - Steveieb

Direct Line come third recommended company after LV and NFU.
But one thing in common with these companies is that they are not available on comparison sites .

Anyone used Aviva Car insurance and had a claim? - _

Lv are definitely on the comparison sites