What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - After market warranties - argybargy

Hardly an original topic, but I'd appreciate the forum's thoughts on after market warranties.

I've had these warranties with two different companies since 2010, but only claimed once in all that time.

I had a second occasion to claim last October when our car failed its MOT and needed work costing just under £300, but the garage owner told me he didn't want to deal with a warranty company because of the hassle it had caused him in the past. The warranty company wanted to see a cost breakdown for parts and labour before giving the go ahead for the work, something which the garage owner refused to provide until the work was done and the bill was paid. His reason for this refusal was the "hassle" he mentioned above, and the fact that he couldn't be absolutely sure about the extent of the work required on the car until he'd dismantled the defective braking system.

So I was left with the option of having the work done at the warranty company's recommended garage--an unknown quantity-- or using the MOT garage, who could do the work right away, and who have a good reputation locally. I chose the latter option and didn't claim on the warranty, which got me thinking whether it was worth continuing to pay the premiums. The policy is due for renewal in May, so I'm considering cancelling the insurance and putting the money away instead in order to fund any future repairs.

Anyone have thoughts on the topic?

Edited by argybargy on 07/01/2022 at 19:22

Any - After market warranties - leaseman

In order of value for money, then I suggest:

1. Keep the money

2. Put it on the Lottery

3= Flush it down the toilet

3= Buy an aftermarket warranty.

Any - After market warranties - badbusdriver

The policy is due for renewal in May, so I'm considering cancelling the insurance and putting the money away instead in order to fund any future repairs.

Anyone have thoughts on the topic?

No actual experience of these types of warranties Argy, but I'd choose to cancel the policy and put some money away (just in case).

Maybe if the car in question was particularly complex, or not known for reliability (so not something I'd be likely to buy!), a warranty might be a worthwhile investment. But with a fairly simple car, known to be reliable in general, I wouldn't bother.

Any - After market warranties - movilogo

Buy a reliable car in the first place. If you are worried that without aftermarket warranty you can't maintain the car, then the car is possibly not for you. There are manufacturers like Toyota, Ssangyong, Kia etc. offering 7-10 years of warranty.

As someone already said, it is as bad as money down the drain.

Any - After market warranties - catsdad

I never buy additional car warranties (or paint protection, or fabric treatment, or GAP on a used car, or tyre insurance, or what have you). I tell a lie I did buy a warranty on a 4 year old Allegro in 1981. I never claimed on it and realised that if I have a breakdown my priority would be getting it back on the road not dealing with third parties.
Add in the electrical items I have “risked” not buying extended cover for. Oh, and the annual gas boiler insurance I don’t have (but do have an annual plumber gas service for £50). Nor drain cover that my water supplier tries to sell me for stuff they are legally obliged to repair free.

Overall I have saved a packet.

Any - After market warranties - groaver

Had an extended manufacturer's warranty on both Skoda and SEAT after 3 years.

Never used on Skoda and so far not on SEAT.

Felt worth it as both had turbos replaced under 3 year warranty!

Any - After market warranties - johncyprus

Usually a waste of hard earned cash, too much small print and hassle.
The need for a warranty is best avoided by buying a well engineered car such as a Toyota, Honda or Mazda.

Any - After market warranties - bathtub tom

The insurance company has to pay staff, building costs and shareholders. All that comes out of your premiums. I understand less than a third of premiums is returned as claims. It's a gamble, a bit like bookmakers. Who drives the better car, the insurance company directors (bookies) or you?

Feeling lucky?

Any - After market warranties - Andrew-T

If you buy a new car or a newish one with some warranty left, rely on that and be prepared to call on it if need be. If buying an older car, waive any 'warranty' offered and haggle the price down a bit, and put the money saved in a reserve fund. Most of the things that may go wrong will probably be excluded anyway.

A warranty is basically a wager, and bookies don't usually lose money.

Any - After market warranties - SLO76
The only warranties really worth paying for are manufacturer backed approved used schemes. Our Volvo Selekt policy has fortunately covered even suspension repairs such as a broken spring, top mount and ball joint. Something aftermarket policies wouldn’t cover and something vital on modern Volvo’s it seems.

Thanks for all the replies. Clearly the consensus continues to be "don't bother with AWs". So this time I'll take note, and from May onwards I'll ditch it.

I believe the handbrake/ rear caliper mechanism on the second generation Honda Jazz is a weak point of the model, and one of the issues picked up during the MOT was uneven braking caused by a failing offside rear caliper. Perhaps the other side will go next time.

The anti-roll bar bushes also failed the MOT due to wear. Would that be unusual at 35k miles?

Edited by argybargy on 08/01/2022 at 12:30

Any - After market warranties - SLO76
Nothing scary to worry about on a Mk II Jazz other than potential gearbox issues on the autos. I certainly wouldn’t spend hundreds of pounds a year to cover one.
Any - After market warranties - John F

They are basically insurance policies, the premiums of which are built into the price of the car and the obligatory annual dealer services. If you are a low mileage driver who services their own car, it might be a reasonable gamble to abandon the warranty after the first couple of years, as if there is a major problem, it is likely to manifest itself during the first 10,000 miles or so. That is what I have done for our Peugeot 2008 three year warranty - either saving myself a couple of hundred pounds for a 'service' or having to pay a major mechanical bill during the next ten months/5,000 miles. To me as a long term low mileage owner/maintainer, forking out hundreds of pounds to maintain a ten year warranty would be a gamble I would likely lose.

Nothing scary to worry about on a Mk II Jazz other than potential gearbox issues on the autos. I certainly wouldn’t spend hundreds of pounds a year to cover one.

As stated above, the only weakness of the model that anyone has ever mentioned to me (and our car is a manual) has already manifested itself, and one caliper has been replaced. We're hoping to move this year to a place where we won't have to park on a steep hill, so that should limit the likelihood of any further issues with the handbrake mechanism. And if the home purchase goes well, we should have enough money left to change the car in accordance with the advice given during a previous HJ discussion.

And thanks for the further replies. Looks like I'll be pulling the plug on MWD this year.

Edited by argybargy on 09/01/2022 at 13:05

Any - After market warranties - Miniman777
The only warranties really worth paying for are manufacturer backed approved used schemes. Our Volvo Selekt policy has fortunately covered even suspension repairs such as a broken spring, top mount and ball joint. Something aftermarket policies wouldn’t cover and something vital on modern Volvo’s it seems.

This advice is spot on. Bought a 6 year old R56 Cooper S, 51k miles from a Mini dealer in West Midlands. Had 12 months aftermarket Mini warranty. After 3 weeks developed a serious misfire and strip down diagnosis revealed broken piston. New short engine fitted and head cleaned of carbon. Parts and Labour was £6k. Cost me nothing. In Sept 2018 bought a X3 3.0d (G01 series) 8k miles, from BMW dealer, 9 months old, ex-Management car. After a few weeks noticed a ‘whistling’ which changed pitch on changing down. Diagnosis was a problem with the differential. Fixed 5 days after diagnosis under 3 year manufacturer warranty. Also had another R57 Mini have a couple of repairs under the aftermarket warranty. In every case, there was no quibble, and faults fixed by franchised dealers and indemnity limit is value of car. This is why you don’t waste time with normal warranty companies who will have paltry claim limits which never really cover the complexity of modern cars and tend to prevaricate at each stage. In my experience manufacturer warranties win hands down. Though some may have different views.
Any - After market warranties - Metropolis.
Have a look in the paperwork at things that are excluded, and the vague phrasing like wear and tear. One garage even confidently gave the example of a window motor, saying they would not cover it if it is overused. And he was the one trying to sell it to me. Useless
Any - After market warranties - Ian D
My one experience of an aftermarket warranty I paid for was on a 5 year old car and it had a sticking brake caliper, in the policy documents it said brake calipers were covered, great I incorrectly thought, booked it in to my local garage but when removed the caliper was sticking due to corrosion of the piston, in the exclusions section of the policy it stated failures down to corrosion are not covered, so claim declined. As stated above, best not to bother. The only time I would bother would be if I was driving a car with an inherent major expensive weakness (E.g. LR Disco crankshaft failure) but then probably best to buy a better and more reliable car to start with!

Edited by Ian D on 09/01/2022 at 07:30

Any - After market warranties - thunderbird

Only had one extended warranty and that was on a Golf in the mid 90's. It was a VW warranty that took the standard warranty from 1 year (normal back then) to 5 years for about £360 from memory. One feature was if you didn't make a claim you got your money back.

After 5 years no claims, returned paperwork and got cheque by return through the post.

Kept for another 2 years and still no issues.