Hyundai i20 - Reduced mpg - -Kat-

I've noticed a reduction in the MPG of Hyundai i20 2014 model Mark 1.5, 1.25L, there are no warning lights on the dashboard, the car is just been serviced and moted and I changed the spark plugs air filter and pollen filter, however im at a loss at the reduction in mpg, drives exactly as normal no misfiring, starts stops perfectly, engine temperature gauge is spot on, heating comes on nice and warm quickly. I should add this mpg reduction was also before the service.

It's difficult to gauge the exact reduction but I'd say 4 or 5 miles per gallon in the in town and also suburban driving. I filled some petrol last week and on the MPG reading was going down and down and down as low as 10 miles to the gallon (I've never seen it that low) which spooked me, it has increased to high 20s since but still not great

The only thing I've noticed is the bottom coolant hose is cold even after a long run, whereas the top hose is warm, is this normal? From what I can research the thermostat is coming from the bottom hose into the engine, so I'm thinking maybe by the thermostat is open or is not fully closed therfore warm coolant is not staying in the bottom hose and the colder coolant coming from the radiator is entering the engine and reducing mpg

Edited by -Kat- on 25/12/2021 at 22:27

Hyundai i20 - Reduced mpg - bathtub tom

1. It's Winter and the car will be running on a rich mixture for longer.

2. When did you start using E10 petrol? It's got a lower calorific value and will give slightly poorer economy.

3. The thermostat is normally in the cylider head, where the top hose connects. I've never seen a thermostat in the bottom hose. If the top hose is warm and the bottom's cold, the radiator's doing it's job.

4. Are you doing shorter runs?

5. When did you last check you tyre pressures?

1. It's Winter and the car will be running on a rich mixture for longer.

True

2. When did you start using E10 petrol? It's got a lower calorific value and will give slightly poorer economy.

Same as everyone

3. The thermostat is normally in the cylider head, where the top hose connects. I've never seen a thermostat in the bottom hose. If the top hose is warm and the bottom's cold, the radiator's doing it's job.

My thinking as well, but youtube says otherwise

4. Are you doing shorter runs?

No change in daily driving

5. When did you last check you tyre pressures?

I check them every month, but I had hankook on them and they were perished so I changed them due to time for some michelin primacy 4 in the summer, and it's since then the mpg has gone down, surely tyres don't make that much difference

Hyundai i20 - Reduced mpg - elekie&a/c doctor
Are you sure the trip computer setting is on “average “ rather than “instant “ Mpg ?
Are you sure the trip computer setting is on “average “ rather than “instant “ Mpg ?

Yes

Hyundai i20 - Reduced mpg - RT

If the car has just been serviced, I'd suspect over-adjustment of the handbrake - Over several brands over 50 years I've noticed this phenomenum - it only affects the first tankfull after a service.

Hyundai i20 - Reduced mpg - Bolt

If the car has just been serviced, I'd suspect over-adjustment of the handbrake - Over several brands over 50 years I've noticed this phenomenum - it only affects the first tankfull after a service.

Could just be the weather as its colder, not many cars do the same mpg in winter as in the summer, not that many admit it