What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Affordable , reliable used car. - comps14

My situation is I'm starting a new job in the new year and handing back my company car. I'll have a 20 mile around trip each day which is mainly A roads. Just need to get to A to B and back to A. Got a budget of £3000 but can be pushed. Interested in what people think of South Korean options Kia and Hyundai as used cars or just stick with proven Toyota Yaris / Honda Civic.

LE11 area if anyone knows of anything.

Affordable , reliable used car. - SLO76
I’d take a look at this.

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/nissan-note...l
This Civic is worth a look too. These are tough and very practical and this one has low mileage and is a nice spec. But I’d want to know why a gearbox was apparently fitted at such low mileage. It’s an elderly owner who’s giving up driving so maybe he’s damaged it or has some unscrupulous garage told him he needed a new gearbox when it was just a clutch away? It’s highly unusual for a gearbox to need replaced on one of these at 60,000 miles. Curious but the car does look very good in the pics and the Mot history looks ok.

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/honda-civic...l

Edited by SLO76 on 20/12/2021 at 22:44

Clean little one owner Mazda 2. These are great fun to drive, good on fuel and there’s no timing belt to worry about. Mot history is a thing of beauty too.

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/mazda2-ts-2...l

Thanks SLO76 . I'll take a look into them

What website are you using to check MOT history?

Affordable , reliable used car. - badbusdriver

What website are you using to check MOT history?

check-mot-history

Affordable , reliable used car. - 123dauto

since MPG wont be that much of an issue id look at a bigger engine car something like a Lexus IS250

+ Buttery smooth Smooth 6 cylinder engine
+ Extremely quiet, at all speeds
+ Lots of toys (heated, cooled seats, auto/electric everything)
+ EXTREMELY RELIABLE! pretty much bulletproof if looked after

- Rear leg room isn't great,
- Boot is a little small and back seats don't fold forward
- Fuel consumption isn't great (you'd be looking mid to late 20's mpg)

I wouldn't describe it as "Fun" to drive but it's a fast enough and makes for a fantastic cruiser perfect for a daily commute. You'd need to up your budget to about 4k for an SE. Don't be afraid of high mileage on these, these cars can do moon mileage and still feel like they've barley even touched 60k look for one with good service history.

A GS300 will also get you from A to B without breaking and in absolute comfort but it costs a tad bit more to run, (£600 per year VED)

Another choice for a small fun reliable economical car would be a Suzuki swift sport. Mazda 2 is also a good shout so is the the Mazda 6, but with all old Mazda's be very aware of rust

Edited by 123dauto on 26/12/2021 at 16:34

Affordable , reliable used car. - Wee Willie Winkie

www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

That Mazda 2 looks like a little cracker. We.had a one exactly the same but older for 8 years. Totally reliable little motor.

Affordable , reliable used car. - Trilogy.

Just buy a well looked after Ford Focus MK2.5 1.6/1.8 manual.

Affordable , reliable used car. - daveyK_UK
It’s a standard answer

Honda, Toyota , Suzuki , Lexus - petrol model in good condition

Condition is king especially mechanical condition

One final check before commiting. Is the mazda 2 still about the best I'm going to get with what is for sale right now.

One final check before commiting. Is the mazda 2 still about the best I'm going to get with what is for sale right now.

A good one might well be, but I would buy on condition first from the following list. Ford Fiesta 1.25/1.4 petrol Mazda 2 1.3/1.5 petrol Suzuki Swift 1.3/1.5 petrol Toyota Yaris petrol Honda Jazz (not auto or hybrid) Ford Focus 1.6 petrol Honda Civic petrol Toyota Auris petrol Mazda 3 petrol

Just to update.

Bought a Honda Jazz 2008. £1750

1 owner

FSH at main dealer

92k miles.

Good condition for its age in and out. All electronics works.

12 month mot. The mot history was descent.

happy days

Cheers everyone

Affordable , reliable used car. - Xileno

Excellent news. Thanks for the update. Let's hope it gives you good service and best wishes for the new job.