What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volkswagen Sharan - High Mileage Alhambra / Sharan - too risky? - Andy1970

Hi,

I'm looking around for a 7 seater and quite like the VW Tourans. There's a reasonably choice available within my budget - £7k tops, but preferably closer to £5k. I do see a few 2011+shape Sharans and Alhambras creeping into that price range and I am slightly tempted. The problem is that they all tend to have at least 140k miles on them. I'd want to keep it for at least another 50-60k miles and would want it to be relatively trouble free. I don't mind spending a sensible money (average £50 - 75 per month) on routine maintenance and fixing wear and tear items, but don't want to be left standing at the roadside with a car that wont go. Is it too great a risk?

Thanks for your thoughts

Andy

Volkswagen Sharan - High Mileage Alhambra / Sharan - too risky? - Bromptonaut

I take it these would be diesels with manual transmission?

Certainly diesels - petrol Sharans and Alhambras seem almost non-existent. I'd prefer a manual transmission as I know that the DSG boxes like to throw a tantrum if they don't get their regular oil and filter change.

Volkswagen Sharan - High Mileage Alhambra / Sharan - too risky? - Ian_SW

For the same price, I'd have thought the Sharan/Alhambra would be higher mileage and older than the smaller Touran.

I've not heard reports of either model being significantly more or less reliable than the other, but if you want it to last a long time, the newer lower mileage option would usually be a better choice provided both have been maintained correctly.

At the budget you're looking at, I'd suggest widening your search beyond the VAG products, so include the likes of the Ford S-Max, Vauxhall Zafira, Toyota Verso etc as well. That gives more choice to pick the one in the best condition.

Volkswagen Sharan - High Mileage Alhambra / Sharan - too risky? - nellyjak

Have you considered a Japanese import.?..e.g Toyota Estima or Honda Stepwagon.?

Petrol of course...but quality, reliability and loadsa bang for your buck.

Had my Estima 6 years now...not an ounce of trouble.

I'd love a Nissan Elgrand, but I think the fuel costs would bankrupt me!

Volkswagen Sharan - High Mileage Alhambra / Sharan - too risky? - nellyjak

I'd love a Nissan Elgrand, but I think the fuel costs would bankrupt me!

The Estima is usually 2.4 and the Honda usally 2 litre...so not the 3.5 animal of the Elgrand.

Thanks for the reply.

I've considered the Zafira and the Zafira Tourer - The Zafira B, to my mind, is looking too dated now and I don't like that the middle row of seats is a bench rather than individual seats; the Zafira Tourer reliability seems to be something of a lottery and with lots of reports of gearbox failures at the sort of mileage I'd be buying. I realise that could just be the internet magnifying a relatively small number of problems, but it's hard to find positive user reviews and therefore makes me nervous.

The S-Maxs that fall into my budget seem to be similar, if not worse, in terms of age and mileage than the Tourans and just don't appeal in the same way. That said, if a good looking one came along at the right price I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

I've also thought about the Mazda 5, but I think that the middle row middle seat is probably just that bit too small, although I haven't seen one in the flesh and am just going by photos. I've also considered the C4 Grand Picasso and Peugeot 5008 and they again seem to be similar age, price and mileage to the Tourans and I think I'd be more confident in German build quality than French (sorry - I know it's a bit of a cliche and that VW quality isn't always what you'd hope for).

I haven't looked at the Verso at all, so will research that - thank you.

Volkswagen Sharan - High Mileage Alhambra / Sharan - too risky? - Big John

Your budget and age range probably puts you in a diesel with the VW/Seat from around 2010 - this was also the age when DPFs became compulsory for diesel engine cars and some early implementations are less than satisfactory. Be careful you are not buying someone else's problem. £5-7k is still a lot of money in my eyes so you need to be careful.

I have a friend who has an earlier 2.0 diesel Touran (circa 2005 I think) that has reliably done well over 250k miles. The only thing I didn't like was it seemed to react to strong side winds but I suppose any slab sided MPV will probably do the same. However it's worth reading the Honest John review - only 1 star for the Touran

Do not be tempted by the 1.4tsi Supercharged / turbo charged petrol in the VW (can be called "twin charger") - it was a disaster!

Edited by Big John on 10/12/2021 at 20:45

Volkswagen Sharan - High Mileage Alhambra / Sharan - too risky? - badbusdriver

£5-7k is a lot of money in my eyes too, but unfortunately, with used car prices as they currently are, it isn't actually that much at all.

Given that budget and the fact that the OP is hoping to get 50-60k miles out of this purchase, the priority should be reliability, not whether or not the car looks dated or has a centre bench rather than individual seats.

Volkswagen Sharan - High Mileage Alhambra / Sharan - too risky? - SLO76
VW’s of this era aren’t known for their durability so it’s not where my money would go in this case. I like the Mazda 5 and Toyota Verso, in petrol form both are hassle free and decent to drive. The Zafira is a bit dull but practical and there’s loads to choose from. Assuming all were in similar condition however I’d favour either a Ford S-Max 1.6 Ecoboost or 2.0 TDCi (manual) or possibly a Ford Grand C-Max 1.6 Ecoboost, 1.6 TDCI or better yet 2.0 TDCi. The 1.6 TDCi must have a perfect service record and you must service it every year or 10,000 miles without fail, the petrol 1.6 and 2.0 diesels are much more robust.

Modern diesels can be troublesome at this age and money but if you want 7 seats the bulk of your options will be diesel so it’s not wise to rule them all out but buy with the understanding that there will be occasional large bills.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202110028043510

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202110068179981

Volkswagen Sharan - High Mileage Alhambra / Sharan - too risky? - tim10597

I’m running a Ford Galaxy diesel manual. It’s a 2013 model and is now at 205k. Other than routine maintenance it hasn’t needed anything and keeps on rolling. I do have a very good garage that has serviced it from new in accordance with the manufacturer guidelines though. I wouldn’t have any qualms about running a higher mileage car, providing it has been well looked after.