What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
One in 50 not taxed - Trilogy.

What a surprise, not! www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/business-government-and...d

One in 50 not taxed - _

And if you report it , the police not interested, local parking enforcement not interested, DVLA not interested.

We have afew regulars here, gave up doing reports.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/legal-motoring-advice/20.../

Lost revenue from road tax avoidance could be as high as £119 million this year, as the number of unlicensed vehicles in the UK soars.

There are an estimated 719,000 untaxed vehicles (excluding motorcycles) in the UK, the equivalent of 1.8 per cent of all vehicles on the road, according to the latest Department for Transport (DfT) report.

That is up from an estimated 634,000 vehicles (or 1.6 per cent) when the last data was published in 2019, and is not far behind 2017’s estimated 755,000 vehicles (or 1.9 per cent).

Those figures are all significantly higher than before the DfT abolished the paper tax disc in 2014 and ended the process of transferring tax between vehicles.

In 2013, prior to the changes, just 0.6 per cent of vehicles were untaxed.

Legal Advice

Honest John News Legal 2021-11

Government could lose £119 million as more drivers dodge road tax

Published 30 November 2021

Lost revenue from road tax avoidance could be as high as £119 million this year, as the number of unlicensed vehicles in the UK soars.

There are an estimated 719,000 untaxed vehicles (excluding motorcycles) in the UK, the equivalent of 1.8 per cent of all vehicles on the road, according to the latest Department for Transport (DfT) report.

That is up from an estimated 634,000 vehicles (or 1.6 per cent) when the last data was published in 2019, and is not far behind 2017’s estimated 755,000 vehicles (or 1.9 per cent).

Those figures are all significantly higher than before the DfT abolished the paper tax disc in 2014 and ended the process of transferring tax between vehicles.

This year’s statistics are based on a roadside survey using automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras at 267 sites in June and early July.

More than a third (38 per cent) of the UK’s untaxed vehicles are 10 or more years old (similar to 2019’s 40 per cent), while the number of untaxed vehicles less than two years old is slightly fewer at nine per cent.

More than half (55 per cent) of the vehicles have been unlicensed for two months or less.

Jack Cousens, head of roads policy for the AA, said that the figures could have been higher given that hundreds of thousands of cars were granted a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) status during the Covid-19 lockdowns.

"Some of those vehicles will have been put back on the road with the owners either mistakenly or deliberately forgetting to tell the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency)," he said.

Legal Advice Honest John News Legal 2021-11

Government could lose £119 million as more drivers dodge road tax

Published 30 November 2021

This year’s statistics are based on a roadside survey using automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras at 267 sites in June and early July.

More than a third (38 per cent) of the UK’s untaxed vehicles are 10 or more years old (similar to 2019’s 40 per cent), while the number of untaxed vehicles less than two years old is slightly fewer at nine per cent.

More than half (55 per cent) of the vehicles have been unlicensed for two months or less.

Jack Cousens, head of roads policy for the AA, said that the figures could have been higher given that hundreds of thousands of cars were granted a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) status during the Covid-19 lockdowns.

"Some of those vehicles will have been put back on the road with the owners either mistakenly or deliberately forgetting to tell the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency)," he said.

The penalties for not paying road tax are severe. Drivers could face a hefty fine and prosecution, and the DVLA has the right to clamp the vehicle until the correct amount of tax is paid.

RAC head of roads policy Nicholas Lyes said that the increase in the number of unlicensed vehicles is “hugely concerning”.

“While we’d like to think the abolition of the paper tax disc back in 2014 isn’t responsible, the fact remains evasion has increased significantly since then to the point where a shocking two in every 100 vehicles on the road aren’t taxed,” he said.

“The cost from VED evasion in 2021 alone is set to be a whopping £119m, a substantial sum that should be spent on improving our road network.

“We urge the DVLA to step up enforcement and to do all it can to bring evasion down, as it is clearly not fair on those who do pay their fair share to drive on the road.”

The DfT said that some of the estimated £119 million of potential revenue loss over one year will have been recovered by DVLA enforcement activity or by vehicle keepers paying arrears of VED at a later date.

That means the ‘real loss’ to the Treasury is unlikely to be as high as £119 million and that figure is an 'upper estimate'.

Julie Lennard, DVLA chief executive, said: “We work hard to drive down vehicle tax evasion and the vast majority of motorists are doing the right thing with over 98% of vehicles on the road taxed correctly.

“Estimated evasion rates fluctuate and the pandemic is highly likely to have impacted some motorists’ behaviours. Those who choose to evade will be tackled using our proven package of comprehensive enforcement measures.

“These include penalties and court prosecutions through to the use of Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras, wheelclamping and the removal of untaxed vehicles.

“You can tax your vehicle using our quick and easy online services – available 24/7 – and the costs of vehicle tax can be spread throughout the year by opting to pay in instalments by direct debit, which is a popular choice with nearly 15 million vehicles taxed this way in 2020.”

Edited by _ORB_ on 30/11/2021 at 18:02

One in 50 not taxed - Falkirk Bairn

The DVLA worked on £30million saved by not printing Tax discs.

Losing 4 x that amount in evasion.

Civil Servant - not the sharpest tool in the box.

Shove it on petrol and nobody can evade the charges - unless their car is parked up 24x7.

One in 50 not taxed - sammy1

What are the ANPR cameras doing. They are most major roads so it suggests a lot of vehicles are not on the DVLA system and the same sort of statistics exist for the uninsured. If uninsured no MOT than you cannot tax in any case. If caught then the people with little money are quids in as the fines are pathetic although a lot of cars are being seized

One in 50 not taxed - Xileno

Road pricing is the way to deal with this sort of problem. Cambridge was looking into this thirty years ago and more recent technology would make it even easier to implement now.

One in 50 not taxed - Trilogy.

Cambridge rakes in revenues with speed cameras, they seem to be prolific. IIRC in Suffolk there's only one fixed speed camera.

One in 50 not taxed - Terry W

If they can identify the vehicles through ANPR they should be able to prosecute and fine.

It may need some latitude where people have just purchased a vehicle - otherwise no excuses. Failing to folllow through encourages avoidance and contempt for the law.

They should also use the same equipment to identify uninsured cars and take action accordingly.

As usual it is often the generally law abiding who no doubt pay the fines etc - the scroats simply get away with it.

One in 50 not taxed - FoxyJukebox
With a paper tax disc it was easy to spot ( and if necessary report) an out of date vehicle. As an owner, it was a nice visible reminder to “re-apply”.
What’s really concerning here is also how many vehicles are uninsured and how easy it allegedly is to just take a chance and not bother to re-licence.
One in 50 not taxed - Andrew-T
With a paper tax disc it was easy to spot ( and if necessary report) an out of date vehicle. As an owner, it was a nice visible reminder to “re-apply”.

Yes, it was. But these days when everyone has a printer it must be easier to clone a tax disc than a numberplate. I doubt that many discs were examined closely enough to verify the handwritten details.

One in 50 not taxed - Bolt

But these days when everyone has a printer it must be easier to clone a tax disc than a numberplate. I doubt that many discs were examined closely enough to verify the handwritten details.

Handwritten details for a scanner is no problem, its the silver security panel you can`t copy as it comes out black, I tried one out of date years ago to see how easy it is, and unless you look closely you cannot tell the difference...ie from a distance it looks real!

One in 50 not taxed - FiestaOwner

When you tax a car (or take it off a SORN) it can take 5 working days for the DVLA to update it on their IT system. During this time it's showing as untaxed, when you check online.

www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax (top of page)

Their was a car in my family that I transferred the ownership of completely online.

Before I started it was showing as taxed (with several months remaining). I followed the DVLA's instructions to the letter (to complete the transfer).

When I completed the section to say that the previous owner (keeper) no longer had the vehicle, it instantly showed online as untaxed.

I immediately filled in the new keeper details online and paid the tax. The car took about a week to show up as taxed again.

Very strange that they can untax a car instantly but takes a week for it to show as taxed again.

In the original article it is alleged that 1 in 50 cars are untaxed, if these cars were being picked up by ANPR, how many of these cars were in fact taxed, but still being shown as untaxed by the DVLA?!

I have bought 3 cars from dealers over the past 4 years. I paid for the vehicle tax online (Direct to the DVLA) when picking the cars up. One of the cars took about 5 days to show up as taxed. I think it was the following day for the other cars to show up as taxed.

One in 50 not taxed - John F

Regular patrols of large concentrations of cars (shopping mall and 'event' car parks at busy times) by private enterprise clampers armed with ANPR machines might go a long way to solving the problem. As someone who has had to rely on the taxpayer for most of my income during my 50yr career I take a dim view of tax dodgers, especially the family trust company/tax haven brigade.

Edited by John F on 01/12/2021 at 10:15

One in 50 not taxed - Will deBeast

I'm not even slightly surprised.

Given that it is very easy to find a legal* car of the same make/model/colour, and make up a copy of their number plate, I'm surprised the streets are not full of illegal cars.

* you can check tax, insurance, MOT status for any car online.

As more and more road policing and pricing (eg. LEZ, dartford tolls etc) relies on ANPR, there has to be a breaking point. As a starter, I would adopt more of a continental system of the numberplate makers being very tightly restricted.

One in 50 not taxed - Bromptonaut

We had a Toyota MR2 parked in our road for several weeks. Online checks disclosed it to be SORN. Neighbour was fairly sure it belonged to resident of an adjoining street where gardens/yards back onto our road.

It was reported and DVLA contractor arrived fairly smartly to clamp it.

It's now in the owner's garden/yard.

Given that it is very easy to find a legal* car of the same make/model/colour, and make up a copy of their number plate, I'm surprised the streets are not full of illegal cars.

As more and more road policing and pricing (eg. LEZ, dartford tolls etc) relies on ANPR, there has to be a breaking point. As a starter, I would adopt more of a continental system of the numberplate makers being very tightly restricted.

The whole system of car registration and taxing should be revised. Back in the 60s I experienced the Canadian system where each province issued annual numberplates which did the job of a 'tax disc' - and would be ideally suited to ANPR cameras. In Alberta the plates were made by jailbirds, and colours changed conspicuously every 12 months. I still have my 1966 Alberta plate because we moved to Ontario and needed a new one .... :-)

The owners of expensive 'cherished' plates would probably object. I think in the US you can give your car any unique name you want (within limits) and an annual tax sticker is added to it. But that would be easily circumvented I suppose.

One in 50 not taxed - Engineer Andy

What a surprise, not! www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/business-government-and...d

Not a surprise to me either, given how many illegals are in this country, plus all the criminals and ordinary people (like a near neighbour of mine had done for 1-2 years*) not paying. I bet more don't have insurance or who have falsified their details to get a lower premium.

*no MOT either, before the pandemic. Plod didn't want to know, difficult to report to the DVLA.

One in 50 not taxed - Bromptonaut

One in 50 is 2%, the article actually says 1.7%.

No room for complacency but, in reality, that's a pretty low number.

One in 50 not taxed - glidermania

Have to laugh at this 'if we still had the tax disc, they wouldnt be as many untaxed cars on the road'! Wise up, for heavens sake.

If the bizzies, DVLA and the rest arent taking action when you report an untaxed vehicle on your street to them, what makes you think having an out of date tax disc in the window is going to galvanise them into action?

The Police's road priority has changed. They're more bothered about people posting nasty messages on social media nowadays and other 'minorities' type wrongdoings. They are all but assisting the Insulate Britain mob stay comfortably glued to the road.

Put the tax on petrol? Oh dear, people havent thought that through have they? Change of vehicle ownership with DVLA, sir? That'll be a £50 administrative charge. Need to change the address on your licence, sir? That'll be a £50 administrative charge. Car need an annual MOT? That be an additional £50 for the certificate sir.

Be careful what you wish for!

If the bizzies, DVLA and the rest arent taking action when you report an untaxed vehicle on your street to them, what makes you think having an out of date tax disc in the window is going to galvanise them into action?

Several decades ago SWMBO reminded her dad that his tax disc was a few months expired. He wouldn't drive the car until the new one arrived. Mind you, he had a fairly prominent job and may not have wished to risk being found out ... :-)

One in 50 not taxed - Bolt

They appear to be driving around looking for untaxed motors as i have seen a few every month around London putting untaxed vehicle posters on the screens.

Usually withing a week they dissapear so presumably compounded till taxed...or scrapped

One in 50 not taxed - _

Put the tax on petrol? Oh dear, people havent thought that through have they? Change of vehicle ownership with DVLA, sir? That'll be a £50 administrative charge. Need to change the address on your licence, sir? That'll be a £50 administrative charge. Car need an annual MOT? That be an additional £50 for the certificate sir.

Be careful what you wish for!

In reply, When I lived in Switzerland, there was an admin charge for registering a vehicle.

Change of any document a fee.

You want public services, PAY for them !!!

One in 50 not taxed - Engineer Andy

One in 50 is 2%, the article actually says 1.7%.

No room for complacency but, in reality, that's a pretty low number.

2% is a low percentage, but 2% of 30-odd million is a big actual number. I wonder how many are involved in nasty accidents and/or cash-for-crash scams as well as general criminality? I'd bet there are a LOT of cloned number plates out there, mostly in the big cities.