What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Lexus IS250 - How long to keep tyres - JonestHon
Few month ago I acquired a little used 2007 Lexus IS.
The car spent most of it’s life garaged by a LOL (little old lady), recently with the cold weather the front tyres started to skip a bit when turning slowly over imperfect road or camber.
My understanding is that this is a trait of rear wheeled motors with low profile tyres (mine is 17" on 245/45 at the back and 225/45 at the front, both Dunlops of some kind)..

After checking thread etc I found no issues with that as it was on 4.5 to 3.9 and no cracks. What I did find, is the age which was mid 2012 and mid 2013.

My question is, should I keep said tyres until I get to the point I usually change (3mm) or get rid of now based on age?
Lexus IS250 - How long to keep tyres - blindspot

yes certainly keep them. save the planet stop dumping useable tyres

Lexus IS250 - How long to keep tyres - Metropolis.
Ecomentalism must never get in the way of safety. Those are old tyres, I would say change them if you can afford it.

First I heard of an IS250 skipping.
Lexus IS250 - How long to keep tyres - Andrew-T
Ecomentalism must never get in the way of safety.

'Safety is our top priority'. Depends whether you think the safety of one or two humans now has priority over the planet and its humans a long time ahead. There is a balance to everything.

Lexus IS250 - How long to keep tyres - Engineer Andy
Ecomentalism must never get in the way of safety.

'Safety is our top priority'. Depends whether you think the safety of one or two humans now has priority over the planet and its humans a long time ahead. There is a balance to everything.

Bad tyres (including worn or hard older tyres) could lead to a multi-vehcile pile-up on a motorway or dual carriageway, which would other than the lives lost/ruined cost a fortune in clearing up, repairs/replacements of vehicles, medical treatment and lost productivity due to the road closures and lost goods directly and indirectly from the accident.

All of the above will cost a lot of carbon emissions. All because someone scrimped a bit on tyres that need to be replaced.

Yes, the chances of an accident itself is low, but increases as the owner holds on for longer and longer. Better to be safe than sorry if the tyres let the driver know they aren't up to the job in the wet/cold.

Lexus IS250 - How long to keep tyres - mcb100
The compound will have degraded, becoming harder and less flexible.
A little light(!) reading here -assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/upload...f
Lexus IS250 - How long to keep tyres - Xileno

I would base my decision on the sort of use the car is going to have. If it's only pottering around urban roads I would probably leave them for now but if doing higher speed trips such as motorways I think I would change them. If you change now rather than 3mm then the most tread you are wasting is 1.5mm. Is it worth the worry and doubt in the back of your mind especially if you are intending to keep the car? That 1.5mm waste does not mean much financial waste spread over the future ownership of the car. Peace of mind = priceless.

Lexus IS250 - How long to keep tyres - badbusdriver

I'd change them.

But just to be clear, you don't actually have to dump the old ones, that would be a personal choice. They can be used for other things once they are no longer usable or safe on a car. Such as a planter in the garden, or they can be used as buffers on boats if you happen to live near a port, harbour or navigable waterway. There are also companies who will pick up old tyres to be recycled into something else, such as carpet underlay or road surfacing. There is a charge, but I'd guess it wouldn't be that high otherwise hardly anyone would use them.

Lexus IS250 - How long to keep tyres - John F
The compound will have degraded, becoming harder and less flexible. A little light(!) reading here -assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/upload...f

Thanks - a really interesting read. I gleaned the gist of it from P12 as follows......

Within the report on Stakeholder engagement TNO summarises: “Stakeholders do not consider tyre age to be a safety issue. The only meaningful concept of ageing is 'tyre service life' which depends on many different factors and it is therefore too complex to be regulated”. [pg. 91]

When asked should tyre labels inform about tyre ageing performance? “There was consensus amongst stakeholders that tyre age is not a safety issue. Agreement was also general that age is only a component of ‘tyre service life’ which depends on various factors such as storage time, exposure to environment, speed, inflation pressure, use pattern etc. Therefore the safety issue is more related to proper tyre maintenance than ‘tyre service life’.”......

However, it seems most of the major manufacturers except Pirelli have plucked 10yrs as a round number to recommend replacement.

Lexus IS250 - How long to keep tyres - John F
My question is, should I keep said tyres until I get to the point I usually change (3mm) or get rid of now based on age?

Depending upon the relative weights you attach to the safety, thrift and environmental arguments, only you can answer that question. We can only say what we as individuals would do.

Being aware of their condition I would drive accordingly, and change when they approach the legal limit.

Lexus IS250 - How long to keep tyres - thunderbird

Looks to me like the first set lasted about 6/7 years and the current ones are approx 8 years.

If you only intend keeping it a few weeks leave well alone.

But if you intend to keep the car and with winter on us and rock hard rubber on a RWD car you would be crazy to leave them on.

Good mid range tyres don't cost a fortune, no need to go for post brands. I have had excellent service from Kumho, Uniroyal, Hankook, Kleber at about 2/3rd the price of the well known brands.

Lexus IS250 - How long to keep tyres - Terry W

Change them now before winter sets in. They will anyway need replacing (probably) in the next year or so.

A new set will last 20-30k - quite possibly several years motoring if you do a low/average mileage. If high mileage with lots of higher speed then it is not worth the risk.

Probably worst case is that you will need to change tham again if you keep the car long enough - 2-5 years??

Thanks guys,

The car do around 5k a year but it is a powerful motor with fairly fat tyres at the back.

I don't do spirited driving but do need to use it on the motorway every week.

There is defo a change in the tyre skipping or crabbing since temps deepen under 5c.

Our other car (Avensis Petrol) have Nankang All weather on all corners and are excellent for the last 15k without too much wear so will order another set for the IS.

Thanks again

Lexus IS250 - How long to keep tyres - Brit_in_Germany

The crabbing might not be related to the age of the tyres. My Alfa Giulia did it from new when the temperatures dropped with winter tyres being the cure. The underlying cause was the steering geometry in combination with AWD.

Lexus IS250 - How long to keep tyres - edlithgow

Less than 10 years old, the Japanese Tyre Manufacturers advisory limit which I use as probably the most appropriate for local (Taiwan) conditions.

UK conditions are much less harsh.

Lexus probably advise a lower limit, but then they don't make tyres, and its no skin off their corporate nose either.

Bottom line. NOBODY KNOWS. Up to you.

If you are extremely risk-averse, you could perhaps consider not driving. Safer AND planet friendlier.

Edited by edlithgow on 30/11/2021 at 00:21

Indeed, I prefer not to drive and things were going that direction with the WFH front and the pandemic, however for some unconvincing reason we need to show our face in the office for tea and cake once a week.

I think that 10 years is looking for trouble as the mod say, so I will do well to change the current set with reputable Taiwanese tyres ( It think Nankang had some Yokohama involvement in their production).

Lexus IS250 - How long to keep tyres - madf

We used to tow a caravan which was stored outside, wheels off. After eight years we went away on holiday .

Both tyres failed .

After that, I replace tyres after 6 years unless Yaris which is runaround town only

We used to tow a caravan which was stored outside, wheels off. After eight years we went away on holiday .

Both tyres failed .

After that, I replace tyres after 6 years unless Yaris which is runaround town only

Different situation.

Its alleged that flexion causes the migration of a protective wax to the tyre surface, so a completely unused tyre can deteriorate faster than a low use one

We used to tow a caravan which was stored outside, wheels off. After eight years we went away on holiday - Both tyres failed .

Two things accelerate the degradation of tyre rubber, combined with the presence of oxygen : heat and UV light. And of course leaving a vehicle parked for months at a time.

If your tyres are kept in a cool dark place they will probably keep their youth for quite a few years.

Lexus IS250 - How long to keep tyres - Engineer Andy

We used to tow a caravan which was stored outside, wheels off. After eight years we went away on holiday - Both tyres failed .

Two things accelerate the degradation of tyre rubber, combined with the presence of oxygen : heat and UV light. And of course leaving a vehicle parked for months at a time.

If your tyres are kept in a cool dark place they will probably keep their youth for quite a few years.

I suspect that's why all-season tyres have begun to get a lot more popular, as they work well over a much wider range of external conditions and temperatures.

In the final year I had the Bridgestone OEM tyres fitted to my car, they were not that bad (poor noise on rough surfaces) in the warmer months, but poor (noise, harshness, increased barking distances than previous years) otherwise, then the two incidents with the rear breaking away in the rain sealed their fate.

I wonder how much that newer compund tech has improved the life of tyres by improving their resistance to degridation from sunlight and from extremes of temperature? My last set of tyres (Dunlops) lasted very well in all respects, and were in far better condition when I changed them (I was changing tyre/wheel size* so couldn't retain them).

* corroded alloys (16-> 15in as far cheaper).

If you are extremely risk-averse, you could perhaps consider not driving. Safer AND planet friendlier.

That says it all, at least as far as I'm concerned. The standard mantra 'tyres are your only contact with the road' is obviously true, but it's all about guessing probabilities. If you really want to reduce your risk to zero, stay at home.

There are risks there too, of course ....

The standard mantra 'tyres are your only contact with the road' is obviously true, but

...it ignores axle stands, which are my other contact with the road, and for a significant portion of the time, too...so its obviously NOT true..

ha!

The standard mantra 'tyres are your only contact with the road' is obviously true, but

...it ignores axle stands, which are my other contact with the road, and for a significant portion of the time, too...so its obviously NOT true.

I suppose that should be an astute observation, but it does rather limit the possibility of travel. Unless you have answer to that too ....

Lexus IS250 - How long to keep tyres - badbusdriver

...it ignores axle stands, which are my other contact with the road, and for a significant portion of the time, too...so its obviously NOT true.

I suppose that should be an astute observation, but it does rather limit the possibility of travel. Unless you have answer to that too ....

:-)

See your post above.

He might be using them as ‘anti roll’ stabilisers stuck on the side? AMG didn’t just do Mercedes back in the day..
He might be using them as ‘anti roll’ stabilisers stuck on the side? AMG didn’t just do Mercedes back in the day..

Well, if yáll insist on taking it seriously, I can probably come up with a better rationale than that.

Sidewall crack propagation is believed to be due to ozone snipping of polymer chains at the bottom of the crack, which are freshly exposed because the rubber is under tension, the tyre being inflated.

Over the uncracked surface of the tyre, ozone degredation is shallow, and the fresh rubber is protected by the overlying degraded rubber.

Thus, if you keep a little used car on stands with the tyres deflated when unused, you might expect less cracking, plus there will be less oxygen available for internal degredation.

I don't do this (in fact I over-inflate tyres, possibly promoting cracking) and I don't have parking that would allow me to, but the theory seems sound.

<< Sidewall crack propagation is believed to be due to ozone snipping of polymer chains at the bottom of the crack, which are freshly exposed because the rubber is under tension, the tyre being inflated. >>

The strongest ozone attack will be at the bulges where the tyre rests on the road. Those would be worst when the tyre is under-inflated ! As happens when the owner has omitted to put his vehicle on those axle stands.

I don't think a couple of ats pressure in the tyre will have much effect on outer surface ozone attack.

Edited by Andrew-T on 04/12/2021 at 09:26

The strongest ozone attack will be at the bulges where the tyre rests on the road. Those would be worst when the tyre is under-inflated

I see why you say that, but I'm not sure I agree. The cracks in that area will probably be more open, but I dont know that the rubber molecules at the crack base will be under as much tension as in an overinflated tyre, and I suspect no one else does either.

4WIW (very little, but personal anecdotal evidence influences personal opinion perhaps more than it should) I've had two tyres threaten to fail due to cracking, and they both developed bulges centred on cracks between the tread blocks, not the sidewall.

I don't think a couple of ats pressure in the tyre will have much effect on outer surface ozone attack.

I don't either.

Thats why I specifically referred to internal oxidation, which is the failure mode highlighted in the US Highway Agency investigations following the Ford Explorer rollover/Bridgestone blowout epidemic.