What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota RAV4 D-4D - MOT Done - chesterfieldhouse

Last year l was a little disappointed when the Rav (55 plate) l failed the mot. Though it actually failed on the front discs, it was the advisories on the front subframe & sills that was of concern; the other advisory was "matter" on the rear brake pipes.

Earlier this year the local independent removed the step plates, which seemed to be retaining mud & such, wire brushed & sprayed the underside with his own concoction of engine oil & wax. Cost £30

Went in for mot yesterday, to the same tester & came out with a pass & no advisories. l'm pleased with that.

Think it's only going to last another year though, as the cam belt schedule is due, there seems to be a clutch related problem & by next year it will need a set of tyres.

Toyota RAV4 D-4D - MOT Done - Steveieb

Brilliant car which has grown so large in later incarnations to make it less attractive.

Your 55 plate with the spare wheel on the back is my favourite but finding one in reasonable condition poses a massive problem

Toyota RAV4 D-4D - MOT Done - badbusdriver

Brilliant car which has grown so large in later incarnations to make it less attractive.

Your 55 plate with the spare wheel on the back is my favourite but finding one in reasonable condition poses a massive problem

I'm not sure the increase in size is responsible for the RAV4 becoming less attractive.

But the current one?, my goodness that has looks only a mother could love!

Toyota RAV4 D-4D - MOT Done - Heidfirst

& yet selling very well all over the world ...

Toyota RAV4 D-4D - MOT Done - Dingle232

I'm not sure the increase in size is responsible for the RAV4 becoming less attractive.

I recently took the plunge and bought one of the new ones a year old. I absolutely love it and think it's a great looking car though would agree it may not be to everyone's liking. It's just a bit different to the ubiquitous euroboxes that most are turning out these days.

Toyota RAV4 D-4D - MOT Done - SLO76
Great cars and well worth the cost of a clutch and timing belt if it’s otherwise solid. You won’t find another reliable SUV for the money it would cost.

Yes, fair point. It's going to be a though decision to retain or keep it next year.

Using Clickmechanic as a guide, you're talking near on £700 for a clutch & £500 for a timing belt/water pump replacement. Add in a set of tyres a service/mot, your talking about £1700; plus anything else that may crop up.

l also had the cat stolen a couple of months ago. Although the local mechanic said he could install some sort of cat cage, l do feel it will remain vulnerable.

“ l also had the cat stolen a couple of months ago. Although the local mechanic said he could install some sort of cat cage, l do feel it will remain vulnerable.”

No less or more so than any replacement car you bought.

Not sure about that SLO. Ride height & positioning of the cat on differing models makes it an easy or difficult job for thieves.

Toyota RAV4 D-4D - MOT Done - RT

Not sure about that SLO. Ride height & positioning of the cat on differing models makes it an easy or difficult job for thieves.

Some cars have the cat bolted directly to the exhaust manifold, so up high in the engine compartment - others have then in the central tunnel so much easier to steal - and take longer to heat up so generate more emissions

Toyota RAV4 D-4D - MOT Done - edlithgow

Some cars have the cat bolted directly to the exhaust manifold, so up high in the engine compartment - others have then in the central tunnel so much easier to steal - and take longer to heat up so generate more emissions

OTOH, IIRC, there is a risk of the engine injesting bits of broken matrix with some close-to-manifold designs, and this diet does it no good at all.

Happens to some Nissans, again, IIRC

Toyota RAV4 D-4D - MOT Done - paul 1963

OTOH, IIRC, there is a risk of the engine injesting bits of broken matrix with some close-to-manifold designs, and this diet does it no good at all.

Happens to some Nissans, again, IIRC

Nonsense', exhausts blow...they don't suck.

Toyota RAV4 D-4D - MOT Done - paul 1963

Double post...apologies

Edited by paul 1963 on 09/11/2021 at 18:31

Yes but on another SUV at this sort of money it’ll be in a vulnerable location too.
Toyota RAV4 D-4D - MOT Done - spannerman

Hello, I was thinking of fitting step plates . Mainly for my wife to have easier access . Sound like this may not be a good idea ? Mine is a 2007 model. Thanks is advance for any advice.

Toyota RAV4 D-4D - MOT Done - badbusdriver

Hello, I was thinking of fitting step plates . Mainly for my wife to have easier access . Sound like this may not be a good idea ? Mine is a 2007 model. Thanks is advance for any advice.

Why?, I can't see any mention in the posts so far that suggest the fitting of side steps is a bad idea.

Toyota RAV4 D-4D - MOT Done - spannerman

Why?, I can't see any mention in the posts so far that suggest the fitting of side steps is a bad idea.

Someone mentioned that they collect mud etc and that they had removed theirs. Do you have them fitted ? Many Thanks

Hello,

after last years mot the advisories included corrosion to the sills where the rear suspension mounts are. It looked as though the step bar fitting brackets, which go from the bars up past the sills to bolt on, were holding onto a certain amount of mud & debris; the brackets were certainly rusty. Removing the bars made access to the sills easier to wire brush them & get a good result. However, another advisory was for front chassis corrosion, so maybe it had nothing to do with the step bars.

l've found (& so has my wife) that in reality we don't really use the step bars when getting in the car, as they're too narrow & located too far under the vehicle.