What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Braking - mcb100
Just finished a 3 hour drive up the M1 and across the M62, the last hour in the dark and torrential rain. I make a similar journey 2 or 3 times a week. I find people braking on the motorway for no reason irritating at the best of times, but in poor conditions it takes a chunk of concentration working out which brake lights to which you need to react, and which can be kept under observation but present no need to brake and cause a concertina effect behind you.
Unnecessary braking seems to have become more prevalent recently, and I can’t help think that if we were all in cars with active cruise control, the instances of a driver overreacting to brake lights, and causing a chain reaction of drivers behind having to brake, would be reduced and traffic would flow more freely.
Any - Braking - badbusdriver

I'm never on motorways and hardly ever on dual carriageways, but I do see this a lot on the single carriageway roads I'm on most often. Because cars are travelling too close to one another, the following car has no choice but to brake in reaction to the brake lights in front of them coming on. I very rarely ever have to use the brakes because I leave plenty of space between myself and the vehicle in front. Even if I have to 'slow down' for a corner, I'll simply lift off the throttle at the distance I deem appropriate. It isn't rocket science, but the combination of a lack of patience and the aggressive driving style of many commuters means common sense seems to be in short supply.

Any - Braking - sammy1

I have notice this a lot lately cars braking for no apparent reason. I think it must be due in part to these cars being on this radar guided cruise control witch automatically brakes the car without driver input. Personally I find it annoying and you have to brake yourself again for no obvious reason. It is more noticeable on the motorway of duel carriageway

Any - Braking - Engineer Andy

I have notice this a lot lately cars braking for no apparent reason. I think it must be due in part to these cars being on this radar guided cruise control witch automatically brakes the car without driver input. Personally I find it annoying and you have to brake yourself again for no obvious reason. It is more noticeable on the motorway of duel carriageway

Yep, and why I don't understand why many are not good enough to just back off on the throttle early enough first before needing to apply the brakes or warn the driver to either initiate an overtake or the car brakes to slow to keep a minimum safe distance.

After all, that's what many drivers (like me) who don't have such a system on their car do. Sounds to me like these systems aren't anywhere near as 'smart' (like a lot of tech that pretends to be these days [see other thread]) as a human being.

Any - Braking - Andrew-T

I have almost zero experience of cruise control, but if a car running on c/c starts to overspeed, does c/c try to prevent that, and does it then activate the stop lights (I presume it should) ?

Any - Braking - mcb100
It depends on which car you’re in. Some will, some won’t. In reality, it’d have to be quite a gradient to add more than a few mph to the set speed, having overcome aerodynamic and tyre drag. If anyone is familiar with my local M62 junctions, it’s a 600 foot descent from 22 to 21, and every car I’ve ever driven has slowed due to friction if you step off the accelerator. They still need driving down the hill to maintain a constant velocity.
Re the brake lights, most EV’s offer a ‘one pedal’ mode, with battery regeneration providing 99% of daily retardation. You only need to use the brakes if things change suddenly. The one pedal operation will fire the brake lights when the deceleration is above a predetermined point, somewhere above 0.15g. I’d assume that an ICE car with cruise that holds the car’s speed to a set value would work the same way.
Any - Braking - RT

I have almost zero experience of cruise control, but if a car running on c/c starts to overspeed, does c/c try to prevent that, and does it then activate the stop lights (I presume it should) ?

Most cruise controls don't prevent overspeeds, so don't activate the brakes but some to activate the brakes, no idea if they trigger the brake lights or not.

Any - Braking - daveyjp

Basic cruise will apply power to maintain speed, but downhill it is down to the driver to use brakes and once brakes are used the cruise control disengages.

More modern distance control cruises systems are far more sophisticated and use radar, or cameras. They will maintain speed (or distance if following a vehicle) whatever the terrain by applying power for uphill and automatically using engine braking via the gearbox when going downhill - many very sophisticated systems are only available with auto gearboxes to allow auto engine braking.

It is only when severe run away speed is experienced (or a vehicle ahead brakes suddenly) that the vehicle will apply the brakes. Some distance control cruise has a graphic of the rear of the car which shows when brakes are being used.

Distance control cruise is brilliant in stop start traffic. Set it and the car moves when the car in front does so, when they stop you do.

Any - Braking - barney100

I can de-activate CC with the steering wheel button or the brake, I always have the button covered and use CC only when on dual carriageways or motorways returning to manual control when needed. CC is very useful in those average speed areas and to keep within speed limits.

Any - Braking - Bolt

I find people braking on the motorway for no reason

I presume you haven`t noticed the same thing in town, no obstacles in sight but brake lights come on for no reason, and it is annoying as you wonder why? its not just on the motorways

Any - Braking - mcb100
I just find it more inexplicable on the motorway - on an ordinary road, the driver in front may have spotted a pedestrian between two parked cars, or a dog looking like it may run out, but when they’re cruising along at 70, with nothing coming towards them, and no brake lights in front, or maybe not even a vehicle in front, their brake lights come on.
Last night was pretty bad weather on the M1 and M62, my speed was reduced to about 50, and concentration levels were higher due to poor visibility, lots of rain and cross winds. It really doesn’t help when you’re also surrounded by people braking either unnecessarily or because they’ve too close to the car in front, forcing an additional distraction and decisions as to whether you need to react by braking.
Any - Braking - Bolt
I just find it more inexplicable on the motorway - on an ordinary road, the driver in front may have spotted a pedestrian between two parked cars, or a dog looking like it may run out, but when they’re cruising along at 70, with nothing coming towards them, and no brake lights in front, or maybe not even a vehicle in front, their brake lights come on. Last night was pretty bad weather on the M1 and M62, my speed was reduced to about 50, and concentration levels were higher due to poor visibility, lots of rain and cross winds. It really doesn’t help when you’re also surrounded by people braking either unnecessarily or because they’ve too close to the car in front, forcing an additional distraction and decisions as to whether you need to react by braking.

You know yourself how some try to keep to speed limit or over most of the time, and its also possible with the heavy rain, drivers see things that are not there or even looking for flooding in your lane which is hard work on its own due to water in places being invisible, even light is deceiving in heavy rain so I think some drivers get spooked during bad weather even to the point they might steer in another lane without knowing what they are doing

so intermittent braking doesn`t surprise me in really bad storms as its hard to see whats in the way at any speed

Any - Braking - Andrew-T

<< You know yourself how some try to keep to speed limit or over most of the time, and its also possible with the heavy rain, drivers see things that are not there or even looking for flooding in your lane which is hard work on its own due to water in places being invisible >>

Like others, I had some stressful driving yesterday. A morning hour on the western stretch of the M25 in rain (posted limit 40 for miles), then later a dark hour of rain trying to follow an unfamiliar diversion. I suspect some of the OP's braking may have been caused by drivers losing sight of lane markings. On a 4-lane M'way in rain they can be much less obvious than the tracks of the last two vehicles in front.

Any - Braking - edlithgow

Seems to happen a lot here in Taiwan. I put it down to less engine braking from the prevalent automatic transmissions, general tailgating, and Taiwanese being terrible drivers.

I probably do it more than expected too, but that's because I'm often coasting in neutral so have no engine braking, and its therefore not directly due to me being a terrible driver.

Any - Braking - bathtub tom

that's because I'm often coasting in neutral so have no engine braking, and its therefore not directly due to me being a terrible driver.

Brave boy! I think you'll find a lot of people here will disagree with those two points. I'll get the popcorn and sit back.

Any - Braking - badbusdriver

that's because I'm often coasting in neutral so have no engine braking, and its therefore not directly due to me being a terrible driver.

Brave boy! I think you'll find a lot of people here will disagree with those two points. I'll get the popcorn and sit back.

I know at least one forum member who'd agree.............

;-)

Any - Braking - Andrew-T

As has been discussed before, there is no fuel advantage in 'coasting in neutral' with a modern car as its electronics will cut the fuel supply on the overrun. In neutral the engine will use fuel to idle.

I still like to coast in my 1994 Pug, provided the gradient is just right and there is little traffic.

As has been discussed before, there is no fuel advantage in 'coasting in neutral' with a modern car as its electronics will cut the fuel supply on the overrun. In neutral the engine will use fuel to idle.

I still like to coast in my 1994 Pug, provided the gradient is just right and there is little traffic.

As has been discussed before\

(a) I don't have a modern car and don't much want one.

(b) There is still a potential, small advantage to coasting in neutral even in a modern car since it conserves the momentum that would be lost to engine braking.

1994? A mere stripling stylee whipper snapper.

Quite nice though.

Any - Braking - Bolt

(b) There is still a potential, small advantage to coasting in neutral even in a modern car since it conserves the momentum that would be lost to engine braking.

Quite nice though.

Being a carb will cut down on fuel as its coasting thats why drivers years ago did it, I stopped coasting after driving injection as it made no difference to economy even less now lol

Quite nice though.

Being a carb will cut down on fuel as its coasting thats why drivers years ago did it, I stopped coasting after driving injection as it made no difference to economy even less now lol

I rather doubt you have measured this. I know I havn't, and couldn't, so that puts it in the your guess is as good as mine category, except I naturally think my guess is better.

I believe many modern cars give you an instantaneous fuel consumption figure which COULD provide some evidence, IF you chose to believe what it was telling you, but even if entirely accurate, it wouldn't account for the momentum conserved by avoiding engine braking.

Any - Braking - RT

Many modern cars DON'T cut the fuel on the over-run as that allows the Catalytic converter to cool down and stop working, with a subsequent delay in heating up when throttle is reapplied.

Any - Braking - Andrew-T

<< Many modern cars DON'T cut the fuel on the over-run as that allows the Catalytic converter to cool down and stop working, with a subsequent delay in heating up when throttle is reapplied. >>

That may depend on how you define Modern. All I would say is that when my Pug 207 diesel runs downhill in gear the instant Mpg figure shows 999 - meaning no fuel is being used. If I freewheel in neutral (which I only do to see what happens) it will hunt between numbers like 253, 411, 576 showing that it is doing just enough to keep the engine idling.

Any - Braking - nick62

Off topic but in the same vein as "poor driving";

I've noticed that when in a queue for lights, etc. of late, (particularly during the afternoon school run period strangely enough ;) ), that there will be one or more cars in a queue who fail to set-off in good time.

I'm convinced its because they are looking at their 'phones.

Edited by nick62 on 02/11/2021 at 10:35

Any - Braking - Bolt

I've noticed that when in a queue for lights, etc. of late, (particularly during the afternoon school run period strangely enough ;) ), that there will be one or more cars in a queue who fail to set-off in good time.

On some cars you can see the mobile phone screen reflection when your sitting behind the car, what with head down as well makes it more obvious lol.

They think no one sees them ?

On some cars you can see the mobile phone screen reflection when your sitting behind the car, what with head down as well makes it more obvious lol.

They think no one sees them ?

Hah! Mobile phone when stationary at the lights? You call THAT ""poor driving""??

I was a passenger in a car a few years ago where the driver was watching a Korean soap opera on the Satnav screen as we rolled along.

Admittedly fairly late at night, and in a city so not very fast.

This was in Taiwan, of course

Edited by edlithgow on 02/11/2021 at 11:46