What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Suggestions for used car please - hjd

My daughter and SIL need to buy a new car. They currently have a 10 reg Clio Dynamique (basically a stretched Clio). No major problems but they are expecting their first child in January and, as they also have a large Golden Retriever, will need a larger car to accommodate child seat, pram/pushchair and dog (plus two adults of course). They are both under 5'9" so no special requirements on legroom.

They would have liked an electric vehicle ideally as they are conscious of environmental impact. However, realistically it is likely to be petrol.

Use - 2 or 3 days a week commute 30/40 minutes each way, not on motorways. Other days just normal local use. They live in the suburbs of Bath, which is notoriously car-unfriendly. Occasional longer trips at weekends. Diesel would not be suitable. It is planned to be the only family car.

She is not a keen driver; he is happy to drive but they don't have any preference for any makes. Main criteria are space and visibility. They would like more legroom in the rear and also plenty of glass area round the boot, for the dog to see out and also for better all-round visibility. Reliability is also high priority for ease of maintenance/availability of parts.

Budget not totally fixed but around £12k - could probably stretch that a little. She is keen to buy from a car supermarket or equivalent where there is no haggling - this is where they bought the Clio 3 years ago and that suited them fine.

They are wondering about Peugeot 2008/3008, having seen them locally and liked the look of them, but open to suggestions.

All suggestions welcomed!

Suggestions for used car please - badbusdriver

That budget is enough to get into a Toyota Auris hybrid estate (2015/2016). Plenty of space for the dog and incredibly reliable.

As for the two Peugeot's, the 1.2 turbo petrol (PureTech) does seem to have some problems.

BTW, a Clio Dynamique isn't a stretched Clio, it is just a Clio with 'sporty' trim and is exactly the same size as any other Clio of its age.

Suggestions for used car please - Mr D Og

I have a golden retriever dog and the Auris is not big enough for it though the Avensis estate which I had was.

I've since moved on to a Skoda Superb petrol estate which is just about the most spacious car available for a large dog. Reliable and economical - a good buy if you get a good one.

Suggestions for used car please - Warning

Car prices have gone up since April 2021. The new 21 plates, have n't dented prices.

However, hopefully they will get a better trade in on their existing car.

I don't know if waiting until January 2022, will lead to better deals.

A lot of places are getting car unfriendly....

Edited by Warning on 12/10/2021 at 16:47

Suggestions for used car please - Andrew-T

I think you may find a car with 'plenty of glass area round the boot' hard to find. Car waistlines have been rising towards the rear for decades now, mainly, I think, to increase luggage volume below the parcel shelf. That is part of the reason for widespread reversing cameras, because rearward vision is limited.

Suggestions for used car please - JonestHon

I'd go for Estate shape.

Lots of glass: Dacia Logan MCV

You can get a my2020 for the budget.

Previous version of the Hybrid Auris is excellent but if they don't sit in traffic a lot it will be a less efficient motoring.

My personal choice will be to save cash and buy an older (2017 +) bullet proof petrol Toyota Avensis for around 10k. Slightly bigger inside than the Auris though not as much glass compare with the Logan.

Suggestions for used car please - _

Honda civic estate petrol? Astra estate? Zafira petrol?

Suggestions for used car please - hjd

Thanks for all suggestions so far!