What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Which insurance firms still offer cover on another - daveyK_UK
Which insurance firms still offer cover to drive another car 3rd party?

It came as a great surprise when reading the small print on my insurance renewal it is no longer included.

Which insurance firms still offer cover on another - RichT54
Which insurance firms still offer cover to drive another car 3rd party? It came as a great surprise when reading the small print on my insurance renewal it is no longer included.

My Direct Line policy does include it.

Which insurance firms still offer cover on another - SLO76
I have this discussion regularly with co-workers. Many of them ask colleagues to drive their cars between the depot and bus garage. I remind them that it’s highly likely many aren’t insured, especially the younger drivers. One (the owner of a nice Jaguar XF) often lets people use his car as a runabout despite this and the fact that he owes many years of finance on it which he could be left paying with no car to show for it. I am covered but I refuse to drive other peoples cars beyond an old junker as I’m fully expectant of an awfa battle if I ever needed to make a claim on someone else’s car.

Edited by SLO76 on 03/10/2021 at 18:03

Which insurance firms still offer cover on another - Will deBeast

... and of course, most DOC cover is third party only. Sounds like a recipe for people falling out if someone's car was damaged and the perpetrator was unable/unwilling to pay up.

Which insurance firms still offer cover on another - Deryck
Which insurance firms still offer cover to drive another car 3rd party? It came as a great surprise when reading the small print on my insurance renewal it is no longer included.

My old eSure policy had it not sure about RIAS who I moved to this year. Only ever used it two or three times in 30 odd years. I am not keen on using it

Which insurance firms still offer cover on another - Miniman777
I’ve just moved to LV and they cover me 3rd party but do not a named driver on my policy.
Which insurance firms still offer cover on another - daveyK_UK
Hi miniman77,
I thought that was always the case?
Only the main policy holder gets the 3rd party fire and theft on another car?

Thank you for the replies
Which insurance firms still offer cover on another - Will deBeast
I’ve just moved to LV and they cover me 3rd party but do not a named driver on my policy.

We're a two car household. By insuring one in my name, and one in my wife's, we both get DOC cover (also with LV).

Which insurance firms still offer cover on another - Falkirk Bairn

Lots of insurers will offer Driving other Cars BUT this is often limited to "older drivers" with well proven history.

Young, those with a bad driving record and /or recent licence holders are unlikely to have DOC on the policy.

Over the last 20+ years E-sure, Aviva & my current insurer LV covered DOC - only used it a few times to help somebody out.

Which insurance firms still offer cover on another - Xileno

I'm with RAC and DOC is included. It's certainly not always given automatically so always worth checking. I don't think I've ever used it though.

Which insurance firms still offer cover on another - catsdad

This came up in our family three years ago when my father in law gave up driving so we needed to sell his car. We were selling through WBAC and we wanted to drive it to their site. All nine potential drivers, aged 30 to 65, were covered by their policies to drive other cars..Maybe things have changed since then but I suspect it’s still common.

What many people don’t realise though is that the car concerned must alsot be insured in its own right.

Which insurance firms still offer cover on another - daveyjp

Our Aviva policies have DOC cover. Whilst it is rarely used it can be useful to have.

Which insurance firms still offer cover on another - Steveieb

Likewise my LV policy has this feature.

But I always remember checking the policy before joining a car share scheme after a colleague was involved in an accident in which he was seriously injured and spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair.

He had been given a lift to work and the driver was involved in a head on accident.

When the claim was sorted , it turned out that the passengers weren’t covered and so the injured person had to claim damages from his work colleague, which involved care for the rest of his life and moving to a purpose built bungalow to be on one level.

Many decades back - say 40+ years passengers in a car were not covered by due to the fault of the driver.

Around 1970 all passengers are covered if a car is involved in an accident where the car driver is at fault. If the driver does not have insurance the MIB step in and pay out.

MIB= Motor Insurance Bureau - funded by a levy you & I pay as it is included in the premium you pay to insure your car.

Which insurance firms still offer cover on another - bathtub tom

I wasn't covered on my old policy by AGEAS, but I've just taken out a new policy with the RAC and I am. Curiously, it's underwritten by AGEAS. SWMBO, who's a named driver isn't.

AA explanation of car insurance

What is third party insurance?

Third party cover is the most basic form of car insurance and is the legal minimum requirement for drivers. As the name suggests, it just covers injuries or damage to third parties:

• Injuries to other people, passengers or animals.
  • Damage to other people's property.
  • Accidents caused by a passenger or a named driver on your policy.
  • Any passengers in your car who are injured in a collision where you're at fault.

As such, third party car insurance won't cover the repairs for your own car, an injury to you, or replacement costs if your car is lost because it has been stolen or is destroyed by fire.