What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
3 series estate 2012-2018 - Auto transmission BMW - daveycooper
What type of auto box is in the 3 series estate from 2012 to circa 2018? Torque convertor, cvt or clutch (dsg style)?
Thanks
Davey
3 series estate 2012-2018 - Auto transmission BMW - badbusdriver

Not 100% sure on this, but as far as I am aware, the M3 used a DCT, but the rest used a T/C. Definitely no CVT involved.

3 series estate 2012-2018 - Auto transmission BMW - Brit_in_Germany

I would expect it to be the ZF 6/8 speed box.

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 02/10/2021 at 19:55

3 series estate 2012-2018 - Auto transmission BMW - sammy1

Torque converter auto and a very liable and smooth changing box. Also maintenance free, although a very high mileage car may benefit from a fluid change.

Thanks all. Yes I seemed to get to the point of knowledge whereby I know it is a ZF 8HP transmission but I couldn’t see much on that particular unit on the web (at least not in simpleton language for me). Anyone know how reliable it is?
3 series estate 2012-2018 - Auto transmission BMW - badbusdriver

Anyone know how reliable it is?

The transmission is pretty reliable, the car may not be.

Ah, different can of worms alluded to there! Without wanting to go off topic, is there anything specific? I’m looking for petrol auto
Cheers
3 series estate 2012-2018 - Auto transmission BMW - Rerepo

Widely used transmission and pretty reliable - not in the same league as Aisin though. Some reports of gear whine. Change fluid at 60k miles helps in the long term.

3 series estate 2012-2018 - Auto transmission BMW - John F
....... I know it is a ZF 8HP transmission but I couldn’t see much on that particular unit on the web (at least not in simpleton language for me). Anyone know how reliable it is?

I think ZF are arguably the best makers of autoboxes on the planet. That's why they are used in so many high performance cars. Just look at the extensive range of applications for the HP6 and HP8 units. The reason you don't see so many posts about problems is because there are so few.

If you are a 'normal' driver, ignore the advice from unqualified armchair mechanics to change the fluid after a high mileage in a 'sealed for life' box. There is a rational argument that you might do more harm than good. Such advice is often perpetrated by those with a vested interest in creating work. The adage 'if it works, don't mend it' is particularly applicable here.

3 series estate 2012-2018 - Auto transmission BMW - sandy56

ZF who make the gearbox advise a service and fluid change at approx 8 years or 100000 kms. It is DIY possible if you are confident and have all the tools.