What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
UK Stickers - joegrundy

This doesn't seem to have received much attention - in the 'old days' it perhaps would have been on the HJ news page.

Apparently the UK government applied to the UN to change the 'national identification' letters from 'GB' to 'UK' and this applies now.

It means that 'GB' identifiers on registration plates, stickers, etc., need to be changed to 'UK' if you take your car abroad - as from now.

Good to see that it's the important issues being dealt with.

UK Stickers - joegrundy

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58734265

UK Stickers - RichT54

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58734265

"A Department for Transport spokesperson said: "Changing the national identifier from GB to UK symbolises our unity as a nation and is part of a wider move towards using the UK signifier across government".

Perhaps they meant to say "Our unity as a nation is purely symbolic".

UK Stickers - Smileyman

Got mine!

Oval 'UK' badge and number plate stickers. Going on the car tomorrow.

UK Stickers - joegrundy

Congratulations! You seem to be one of the very few people who knew about this (I didn't).

I haven't seen any publicity about it apart from the BBC story which says that it was released by the UN. No Dept of/for Transport (whatever it is now) publicity?

I have 'Cymru' plates which have never been valid anywhere (except maybe Cornwall and Brittany) but will now apply 'UK' stickers. The cynic in me thinks that maybe French police patrols at tolls etc. will show vigour in stopping and fining 'GB' plate cars.

UK Stickers - Theophilus

Just back from 3 weeks in France - had picked this news up before I left and fixed new UK ovals to my car - but in travelling 2,000 miles saw 99.99% British cars still displaying GB stickers :-)

Contrary to some statements by Eurosceptics this change was not imposed by the EU but a British decision, apparently to avoid giving offence to those coming from Northern Ireland ... though I haven't worked out why these motorists might be more distressed by displaying a GB sticker than they were in the past.

Edited by Theophilus on 02/10/2021 at 18:05

UK Stickers - joegrundy

According to the BBC news report, 'GB' plates are still acceptable in Ireland.

UK Stickers - Big John

Just back from 3 weeks in France - had picked this news up before I left and fixed new UK ovals to my car - but in travelling 2,000 miles saw 99.99% British cars still displaying GB stickers :-)

The new rule has been in place since 28th Sept so until then GB was still technically correct.

Saying that I've already fitted new UK stickers with flag on my number plates and an oval UK at the rear just to make sure.

UK Stickers - Ethan Edwards

Yep fitted mine too. More difficult to find a plate sticker with the required green stripe and UK but did it . Cost a whopping 1.49 including postage.

UK Stickers - ExA35Owner

Are we going to change aircraft registrations too? G- prefix changing to ????

UK Stickers - Theophilus

Are we going to change aircraft registrations too? G- prefix changing to ????

YUK

UK Stickers - elekie&a/c doctor
Not forgetting the clip-on yellow headlight beam deflectors for France .
UK Stickers - focussed

The french Government enacted a law on the 3rd of November, 1936 stating that all vehicles put into production in 1937 are required to have yellow headlights. The French being who they are, didn't abandon these headlights until 1993 when forced by the European Unions conformity standards. Today, it is illegal to drive in France with yellow headlights unless your car was first registered before 1993.

UK Stickers - Smileyman

I used to have some clear headlight covers as well as yellow ones, no longer as these days headlight comes in so many shapes and sizes the covers no longer fit!

UK Stickers - Smileyman

Oh, I overpaid!! I don't use Amazon (prefer in person shops) very much, I purchased stickers for number plate (£1.69) and to replace the GB sticker (also £1.69).

I saw it mentioned in the Express newspaper online.

On the car today. My neighbour went to France last week was aware of the UK sticker aspect but did not know about the French COVID app and that without will be unable to eat in any restaurants.

I have old Townsend Thoresen and Olau Line GB stickers, never going to use these.

Edited by Smileyman on 03/10/2021 at 21:04

UK Stickers - Andrew-T

Good to see that it's the important issues being dealt with.

It's many years since I took a vehicle abroad, so I shall follow this story with detached interest. My 1994 car still has its plates with the GB section, which will remain.

UK Stickers - focussed

Clearly displaying the country of origin of your vehicle is an international requirement and if you are stopped by French police without one you can be issued with an on-the-spot fine (although it’s unclear how bothered French police will be about the intricacies of UK v GB).

Particularly if you are anywhere near a french fishing port!

Edited by focussed on 08/10/2021 at 11:14