What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Would you buy or pcp a new petrol car now? - Halmerend
Putting aside the virtues of not buying new, would you buy a new petrol car now or will it plummet in value even more than usual over the next three years compared with an electric one?
Any - Would you buy or pcp a new petrol car now? - Ian_SW

If I intended to run a new car for 3 years and then replace it, I think I'd let someone else take the risk regarding future value. 'Normal' depreciation is being skewed by both the limited supply of new cars (Covid/Brexit/Chip Shortages) and also a fairly rapid change in the types of car with the move to electric.

There seem to be some really good personal lease deals around at the moment, which is probably what I'd go with if I only ran cars from new for 3 years. There's little point going with PCP if you've no intention of keeping the car beyond 3 years. The only reason I can see for PCP would be to hedge against new cars becoming prohibitively too expensive in three years time for you to continue with the 3 year new car cycle. With a PCP you could pay the balloon (the cost of which is fixed up front) and keep the car, whereas with a lease that wouldn't be an option, leaving you buying a secondhand car with an unknown history to stay on the road.

Any - Would you buy or pcp a new petrol car now? - movilogo

I'll buy new petrol car now but not using PCP because I don't like PCP idea.

The guaranteed purchase price seems so low on the pcp I’ve been quoted that I’m sure it’ll be worth more than that in three years time? I could even just buy it and sell it. I just don’t know for sure however how desirable a petrol car will be in three years time? I would effectively be paying additional interest on a pcp just to give me the option of being able to return the car after three years.
Any - Would you buy or pcp a new petrol car now? - SLO76
With PCP there’s no risk. You pay a deposit then a set monthly payment then hand it back or buy it at the end. The guaranteed future value can’t change so any market changes won’t affect you. I’d only buy this way if the car is new and subsidised via a manufacturer backed scheme, with used cars it’s never competitive compared to a low rate personal loan.

Edited by SLO76 on 21/09/2021 at 15:25

Any - Would you buy or pcp a new petrol car now? - Terry W

No one knows what the value of anything will be in three years time. It's a guess.

Some believe they have the knowledge and are better informed but they do not have a fully functioning crystal ball. This probably means that unless you are very close to the industry, you will do worse than average!

For cars there are competing arguments - when you have the answers below you may make a better decision:

- govt policy to go EV will it change,

- possible limits on generation,distribution and charging networks,

- ICE will still be in popular use and sold new in 3 years time,

- governments, politicians and policies can change in 3 years,

- world energy prices may reduce demand, covid variants etc etc.

As others have said - it is entirely down to whether you want to take the risk on depreciation, or use PCP so that someone else takes the risk.

Any - Would you buy or pcp a new petrol car now? - _

I have just today, (not quite on Impulse) but result of an offer of £200 less than I paid for the car 19 months ago new, and a £1750 PCP contribution towards a new car plus 2 years free services...and a spare wheel kit, full size with tyre and tool kit.

Who knows what the future value will be? the money reurned from my old car will pay off the PCP within 14 days of purchase.

It's a Stonic 2, and the net cost to change (after paying the PCP off is about £750.

So, new tyres etc etc, and I quite LIKED the lane Keep assist on the test drive.

Dealer put trade plates on it, gave me the keys and said "Off you go"

Collecting next Tuesday. Stonic 2 t-GDI isg

Edited by _ORB_ on 21/09/2021 at 20:09

Any - Would you buy or pcp a new petrol car now? - Engineer Andy

I have just today, (not quite on Impulse) but result of an offer of £200 less than I paid for the car 19 months ago new, and a £1750 PCP contribution towards a new car plus 2 years free services...and a spare wheel kit, full size with tyre and tool kit.

Who knows what the future value will be? the money reurned from my old car will pay off the PCP within 14 days of purchase.

It's a Stonic 2, and the net cost to change (after paying the PCP off is about £750.

So, new tyres etc etc, and I quite LIKED the lane Keep assist on the test drive.

Dealer put trade plates on it, gave me the keys and said "Off you go"

Collecting next Tuesday. Stonic 2 t-GDI isg

You're handing back the Sportage to get a (smaller) Stonic? I thought you really liked the former?

Any - Would you buy or pcp a new petrol car now? - daveyjp

I was in a meeting with the senior leadership team of a very large UK car retailer recently.

They have been around decades, but the uncertainty as to the future of the car business was palpable, both short term and long term.

Some issues putting pressure on sales:

Covid and end of furlough

Changes to businesses. Fewer companies buying cars for execs to drive to meetings everywhere. Online meetings will now become more common.

More working from home, lower annual mileage, less desire to change cars

More end of PCP purchases, rather than upgrade, due to lower mileages and GFV being less than the value of the car.

Brokers and online purchasing mean fewer visitors to "glass palaces" to kick tyres. Why have them? (Look at Tesla as an example). Pricing is now so transparent spending hours negotiating a price is no longer what buyers want.

Brexit impacts.

Chip shortage

EVs. Uncertainty as to whether 2030 is set in stone, charging infrastructure and standardisation are far from agreed.

They believe EVs are far too expensive for mass market and they are still early adopter 'toys'. If there isn't a huge increase in more affordable models in the next 5 years they anticipate huge demand for petrol cars as 2030 looms. (None of them drove an EV!).

Impact on servicing once EVs becomes a mature market, Vehicles will report problems remotely, be updated remotely and flag up maintenance when required, not on mileage. That could be years between work needimg to be done.

This was in just a single one hour meeting! If those right in the middle of all this, with contacts with all major manufacturers, have these concerns what chance do we have of guessing where we will be in 3 years!?

Any - Would you buy or pcp a new petrol car now? - Falkirk Bairn

I was at a national tyre chain outlet last week.

8.30 the roller doors lifted and the staff were busy. Cars left since yesterday being fixed.

I was there for 30 mins - phones rang, punters over the door - it was all happening, tyres, exhausts, brakes

Yesterday I needed a Honda part for my car. Glass palace, 8/9 new cars in the showroom, 4 newish cars at door and good number of 2nd hand cars at the side.

2/3 people working in offices, storemen came through took my car reg and came back with the spare part.

What was missing? Activity of sales people, there appeared to be none - 3/4 empty desks. There were no punters looking at cars inside or out, nobody walking around new/2nd hand cars, nobody waiting for their car being serviced/fixed.

Apart from the 4 people I saw it could have been the Marie Celeste Honda showroom.

This is September, new reg, clearing 2020/2021 models. no offers visible .......... nothing. What was a special edition car over 12 months ago was still showing the full retail price, I only know if I had been a buyer of a car rather than a £25 part I would probably turned and walked out.

Any - Would you buy or pcp a new petrol car now? - Big John

Wow - enjoy your new car. Strange times - seem to remember when you bought the MG you were buying as a keeper. Two replacements in as many years - good going!

I've had the opposite experience Covid/working from home followed by retirement (sort of) has rather extended the life of my 2014 Superb - the number of miles I do annually since March 2020 has dropped off a cliff.

Myself - I've never been a fan of a PCP - I've usually bought cheap end of model cars new/nearly new, keep a long time and then throw away (nearly) to cope with decades of long commutes. However now my circumstances have changed......

Edited by Big John on 21/09/2021 at 21:57

Any - Would you buy or pcp a new petrol car now? - SLO76
“ I have just today, (not quite on Impulse) but result of an offer of £200 less than I paid for the car 19 months ago new, and a £1750 PCP contribution towards a new car plus 2 years free services...and a spare wheel kit, full size with tyre and tool kit.

It's a Stonic 2,”

Keep ordering those sensible, well made Korean cars ORB, us poor used car buyers need as many as we can get. Good luck with the new one, again I have no doubts that it’ll be anything less than utterly reliable.
Any - Would you buy or pcp a new petrol car now? - daveyK_UK
I think it will be some way into the 2030’s before petrol cars plummet in value.

There will be a home for any decent petrol models in the developing world.

Great discussion and feedback thanks guys. Just digesting it all.

With pcp there’s no risk? But surely that’s only because you’ve mitigated the risk by paying for it?

Any - Would you buy or pcp a new petrol car now? - Stackman II

Our son-in-law is a salesman at a Land Rover dealer. As such he has access to some pretty good short-term PCP type deals.

My daughter therefore is driving around in a 21 plate Range Rover Evoque P250 Dynamic which seems quite nice. (Although I wouldn't say it was £55k worth of nice)

The deal comes to an end shortly and normally they would chop it in and have a different car.

However the balloon payment they have to make to buy the car outright is currently around £6,000 less than he can get if he sells the car due to the lack of new car availability.

They are currently sorting out a short-term loan to buy the car with a view to investing the surplus in their house.

Any - Would you buy or pcp a new petrol car now? - John F

With pcp there’s no risk? But surely that’s only because you’ve mitigated the risk by paying for it?

Isn't there a risk of the initial deposit being eroded by the presence of the slightest of scratches and the number of miles over an agreed, say, 6000 miles a year?

Any - Would you buy or pcp a new petrol car now? - movilogo

I view PCP as long term rental rather than purchase.

Even you make final payment to own the car outright, until then the car was a rental. Also, by making final payment you have paid full list price of the car.

But if you buy 1-yr old car it is still nearly new and already suffered depreciation which is borne by previous owner.

Now if someone is happy with long term rental then fine because everyone's need or want is different.

Any - Would you buy or pcp a new petrol car now? - _
I agree, we are all different.

Even you make final payment to own the car outright, until then the car was a rental. Also, by making final payment you have paid full list price of the car.

Reply.

Yes but got the deposit contribution from Kia, and because he wanted to sell his car AND buy mine, got the first 2 services thrown in and the full size spare wheel, tyre and toolkit.

net cost to change about £750.

Yes. it is smaller, but there will come atime that swmbo will be driving it more.

Edited by _ORB_ on 22/09/2021 at 14:10

Any - Would you buy or pcp a new petrol car now? - madf

I expect widescale rampant inflation. The Government needs to spend lots of money on fixing the things it did wrong/did not do 10 years ago. It will (continue to) print money.

Meanwhile wages are rising and as new exploration has been cut, petrol and oil prices to go through the roof.

I have fixed my energy prices for 3 years..(I can always exit at £60 penalty if i am wrong) and so far am 25% cheaper than current prices.

I recall the 1970s - today has an eerie familiarity.

(economists denying inflation will happen and having to revise forecasts as they got it wrong. They always get it wrong when trends change)

I fixed my energy prices too but unfortunately my supplier went bust yesterday so it’s worthless.
Any - Would you buy or pcp a new petrol car now? - sammy1

"""I expect widescale rampant inflation. The Government needs to spend lots of money on fixing the things it did wrong/did not do 10 years ago. It will (continue to) print money"""

All this scare mongering, things will be fine.They have started to sell super nourishing locusts in the supermarkets so if we turn into a third world economy we will soon get used to a lower standard of living. What this has to do with PCP I do not know, but I would leave any car in the showroom at the moment, the price rises of some 20% or more in just a few months is just not on and something has got to give.

Is there a new car shortage? The Ford dealer where I live has a forecourt full of new Pumas ,Ecosport and others not yet plated

Any - Would you buy or pcp a new petrol car now? - alan1302

Is there a new car shortage? The Ford dealer where I live has a forecourt full of new Pumas ,Ecosport and others not yet plated

Some cras are and some cars aren't in a shortage...just like in the supermarkets - most food is there but there are some shortages as well. It's not a black and white issue.