What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vauxhall Astra - AA Breakdown Cover - swansea_karl

Hi

My AA Breakdown Cover finishes tomorrow. As a member for 2 years its £145 to renew, new members its £113. If i want to add the Parts and Labour Warranty its £21.84 a month for new members, £42.66 if i renew my policy.

Can i just cancel my policy and start as a new member?

Edited by swansea_karl on 28/08/2021 at 14:11

Vauxhall Astra - AA Breakdown Cover - Engineer Andy

It may well say in the policy small print that to do so, you may need to not be a member for X amount of time after cancelling. Or it may not.

I'd first get alternative quotes for the same level of cover from other providers, then if that is cheaper, and you're happy about their reputation (others here can give advice on that and which to try - I've only been with the RAC and they're ok, but not brilliant) then - if you like the AA cover - use the lower quote to try and get them to match or better their rival's or just move to the alternative.

At least then you'll be in a position the following year to receive 'new member' deals from the AA. Essentially breakdown cover has gone the same way as car insurance, etc - loyalty is no longer used to give long-standing members a discount (that saves the firm on marketing costs and gets good word of mouth because they treat them well), it's all about getting new customers, who, once on board, they often just another mug to fleece with a price hike the following year.

Shopping around and battering down existing providers will be an annual event until they think you're crying 'wolf!' as esure did for my car insurance 2-3 years ago and stopped matching better quotes, so I just moved provider and saved myself quite a bit in the process.

Loyalty is so very 20th century. Sadly.

Vauxhall Astra - AA Breakdown Cover - ExA35Owner

AA renewal came up for me. £136. £106 for new members. Phoned them: long haggle. Offered me £113. Compared the policy with others on offer. Green Flag at £57.

Last time I renewed I haggled with the AA, and made a bit of progress. But not this time. I won't return to them.

Vauxhall Astra - AA Breakdown Cover - Engineer Andy

AA renewal came up for me. £136. £106 for new members. Phoned them: long haggle. Offered me £113. Compared the policy with others on offer. Green Flag at £57.

Last time I renewed I haggled with the AA, and made a bit of progress. But not this time. I won't return to them.

The boy who cried wolf syndrome in effect.. Eventually they'll say no to see whether your threat is an empty one or not. Many people sadly cave and stick with their existing provider (for many things, from insurance, to phone or utilities).

Well done for finding a decent alternative and sticking to your guns and moving. Only then will they understand, and if most of their customers do the same, either they will learn the hard way or start treating existing customers with respect and realising they are a big asset where they can save a fortune on marketing costs via them spreading their good experience to potential new customers by word of mouth or via forums such as this, etc.

Vauxhall Astra - AA Breakdown Cover - daveyK_UK
A company that does not give existing customers the highest priority does not deserve your business
Vauxhall Astra - AA Breakdown Cover - chesterfieldhouse
A company that does not give existing customers the highest priority does not deserve your business

Absolutely. My 33 year association with the AA comes to an end at the end of this month.

£55 increase on last years fee & the only way they would bring this down was to reduce the level of cover.

l was on the point of going with Rescuemycar.com & decided instead (partly on recommendations on this site) to go with Start Rescue.

Same level of cover (for me & daughter) £110 less.

Vauxhall Astra - AA Breakdown Cover - _

I would always advise to check, whatever insurance product is available,

and recommend start rescue, don't forget.. pet friendly !!!

Vauxhall Astra - AA Breakdown Cover - Steveieb

Start Rescue gets my vote too. Apart from being pet friendly they recently provided a taxi all the way from Oxford to Northampton when my friends mother was having difficulties getting up into the rescue vehicle with the rest of the family.