What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic - New car questions - Stanster

After a brief interest in Mazda and again complete apathy from the local dealer I've decided to buy a new 1.5 Civic sport. Couple of questions as this is my first new car :

Do modern cars need running in what should I avoid doing if so ?

Didn't go for the paint protection and they've confirmed it's been finished off with autoglym super resin so what protection Coukd I add my self ? Thinking of a ceramic wax unless advised otherwise.

Ta.

Honda Civic - New car questions - Falkirk Bairn

Drive "normally" - do not over rev or labour the car by travelling in too high a gear .

On a longer journey vary the speed up & down.

Cars, no matter the colour/metallic/non-metallic all have transparent / clearcoat cover.

Google "looking after a new car bodywork"

Clean bird s*** and tree sap off ASAP and the car will be fine - - IMHO no need for any special treatment other than washing and the occasional polish so you can see the "water bead"

Honda Civic - New car questions - madf

No running in: don't labour in high gears, vary engine speeds ..to help bedding in.

Paint protection is DIY.

Honda Civic - New car questions - daveyK_UK
No need to run the engine in
Honda Civic - New car questions - SLO76
No real need to run them in these days, they’re built to much greater tolerances but I still tend to avoid labouring the engine and avoid maximum revs for the first few hundred miles. Few would bother these days as almost no one actually buys a new car. List prices are nonsensical and deals push you towards PCP or leasing.
Honda Civic - New car questions - John F

Probably no actual need, but to get the best out of an engine......do all of the above. Automatics protect the engine from abuse, not allowing it to 'labour'. Our Peugeot 2008 EAT6 auto even changes down when necessary when in manual mode.

Plus, when thoroughly warmed up and after at least 500 miles, 'red-line' it occasionally.

Honda Civic - New car questions - bathtub tom

I thought modern thinking was to thrash it within the first few miles of its life (it probably has been by the delivery driver) to bed the rings in. I've seen and heard of several new cars that have become oil burners despite being carefully run-in by the first owner.

Honda Civic - New car questions - Bolt

I thought modern thinking was to thrash it within the first few miles of its life (it probably has been by the delivery driver) to bed the rings in. I've seen and heard of several new cars that have become oil burners despite being carefully run-in by the first owner.

I was under the impression they had to be run in for 600 miles or so, ie no hard acceleration untill time up to bed the rings in, similar to Toyota due to rings not as tight to bore as they used to be for friction reasons

Honda Civic - New car questions - Big John

I would say it's not thrash it but mixed driving including giving it some beans every now and again. I first did this on a 1300 Astra new in 1989 - was always a surprisingly nippy car after that and no oil burning. Last new car I had was a 1.4 Octavia - again after the same treatment and in the 19 years of family ownership was not an oil burner except when it suffered a blocked engine breather valve for a month or so.

My Dad bought a 2001 2.0 auto Octavia at the same time as mine and I advised him to do the same - this 8v 2.0 engine has been a notorious oil burner inc in many HJ threads. His never needed topping up between services.