What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda FR-V - Honda FRV clutch? issue - Susie9876
Hi, my 130k 2.2CDTI suddenly started sounded and feeling like a bag of nails. And the clutch pedal was vibrating. Local mechanic said it’s a flywheel issue and quoted £1k to replace clutch and flywheel.
I love this car but not sure it’s cost effective to spend that much on it. So left it off the road a few months (I dreaded driving it as it was so noisy and I felt sure it would breakdown) and now it’s absolutely fine again! Just the usual grumbling noises for an old diesel. Never had trouble getting into gears or changing gears and don’t think any slipping. Obviously I’m tempted to just keep driving it but I need to do a longer journey soon….can anyone suggest why it’s stopped having the issue or maybe a different theory on what was happening before?
Thanks in advance
Honda FR-V - Honda FRV clutch? issue - Miniman777

Sounds like the dual mass flywheel is failing,

Had similar on a 53-plate Mondeo and eventually the 'chattering' of the flywheel faces creates lots of metal swarf, which in time and driven by turbulence of the flywheel, blocked the starter motor pinion with the flywheel - car wouldnt start. Eventually you'll need a new starter motor too, but as you dont state the age, I'm thinking 10-12 years old?

Tough one but the car may be about to embark on a big increase in running costs.

Honda FR-V - Honda FRV clutch? issue - Bolt

They do fail gradually but Once its replaced it should last a long time, if you go to the right place it only takes a few hours to do even though Honda quoted 2 days and 2k to replace it

They dont all wear the same as the bearing causes the plate to move which on some occasions makes it difficult to change gear on some, others just get noises with severe vibration so no 2 cars are the same regarding symptoms, that I have seen anyway. others may know different ?

Honda FR-V - Honda FRV clutch? issue - Susie9876
Thanks; it’s just weird that the noise and vibration has stopped as quickly as it started
Honda FR-V - Honda FRV clutch? issue - Bolt
Thanks; it’s just weird that the noise and vibration has stopped as quickly as it started

its just the way the flywheel is made and can often correct itself temporarily, then become noisy again or not work correctly, my one would be ok for a while then press clutch and then start to release the pedal and gear would engage almost straight away, if you pressed clutch again it would go back to normal for a few minutes

it would go on like that for an hour then be ok for weeks then start again untill it gets really bad then you have to sort it as it becomes undriveable

Honda FR-V - Honda FRV clutch? issue - Andrew-T

The diagnosis you have been given is probably correct. So as you 'love this car' I presume it has cost you very little in maintenance so far - therefore (all else being fine) you owe it to fix this problem and get back to normal. Over its life it has paid for a bit of TLC.

At this age you don't take it to the main dealer, but use a trusted indie. Just don't drive it until it stops dead.