What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Perception of Battery Electric Vehicles in the UK - Sargis Daghbashyan

Hey everybody,

I am studying for my master's degree and writing a research project on "Perception of Battery Electric Vehicles in the UK". I am currently conducting a questionnaire/survey on this subject and would kindly ask to fill it out. As there are a lot of car enthusiasts and people enjoying cars on HonestJohn.co.uk, I would like to hear your opinions as well. By having a higher number of participants, my research will become more comprehensive and thorough. The target audience is people who are UK citizens or living in the UK for 6 months or more, older than 18 years old. It will only take 5-7 minutes.?

Please follow the link below:

https://warwickwmg.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9LDzBYt2m6f53qC

Thank you in advance.

Perception of Battery Electric Vehicles in the UK - FP

Done.

I had to chuckle at the question about my "martial status".

Karate, anyone?

Perception of Battery Electric Vehicles in the UK - _

Done.

Karate, anyone?

Must be about Cats and dogs, or as we sat datsun Cogs..

You would think that a masters student would learn to check what they have written>

Perception of Battery Electric Vehicles in the UK - Andrew-T

<< You would think that a masters student would learn to check what has been written >>

Why would you ? :-)

Many (many) years ago, as a first-year Ph.D researcher, part of our duty was to 'demonstrate' for the undergrad practical chemistry classes. I was surprised to find how some of them were unable even to 'cook' their results correctly.

Perception of Battery Electric Vehicles in the UK - ExA35Owner

How on earth does this researcher think that this will be a representative survey? And therefore how on earth could it be of any value? I would be rejecting this sampling process in a piece of GCSE coursework, let alone postgrad level!

Perception of Battery Electric Vehicles in the UK - John F

How on earth does this researcher think that this will be a representative survey?

They probably don't. But without the resources of a large market research organisation, they have to do the best they can.

And therefore how on earth could it be of any value?

It will provide a penetrating reflection of the perception of a small group of petrolhead retirees which the Department for Transport will find to be of, er, inestimable value.

Perception of Battery Electric Vehicles in the UK - Engineer Andy

Done.

Karate, anyone?

You need to 'paint the fence' first.

or the OP could ask the HJ website to just give them the results of their own EV survey...

www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/driving-1/2021-07/honest.../

Perception of Battery Electric Vehicles in the UK - Falkirk Bairn

A son bought an EV last month BUT the Air Con broke down after 2/3 days (local temps around 100F) and it was nigh on 3 weeks for the parts to arrive. So really had it a week.

He says he loves it - how much? Well we will see if he holds on to it for around 2 years and buys another, or goes back to petrol/petrol hybrid.

A son bought an EV last month BUT the Air Con broke down after 2/3 days (local temps around 100F)

As an octogenarian I am surprised to find people still talking in Fahrenheit. Of course I grew up with it and learnt to use Centigrade (still don't like 'Celsius') as a scientist. I thought only the arch-Imperial Americans still refused to switch to SI units .....

Gallons, pounds, Fahrenheit, cubic yards ....

Perception of Battery Electric Vehicles in the UK - galileo

A son bought an EV last month BUT the Air Con broke down after 2/3 days (local temps around 100F)

As an octogenarian I am surprised to find people still talking in Fahrenheit. Of course I grew up with it and learnt to use Centigrade (still don't like 'Celsius') as a scientist. I thought only the arch-Imperial Americans still refused to switch to SI units .....

Pounds, hundredweights, furlongs, pints, fathoms, feet and inches all originated hundreds of years ago as units that were useful for everyday practical use.

The current dimensioning car widths in millimetres (I have seen the overall length of mainline locomotives given in millimetres) is just one example not obviously better than Imperial measures.

(Could you measure your car's width to +/- 1 mm? You could do it within an inch, good enough to know if it fits your garage)

The media frequently quote figures of weight/size/capacity in metric units but commonly are incorrect by a factor of 10 or even 100, because the journalists/presenters have no intuitive feel for metric units.

[I should add that after a science degree and many years in engineering, I can personally use either system without difficulty.]

Edited by galileo on 21/07/2021 at 14:25

The son that bought the EV lives in Texas, is a graduate engineer that worked mostly in metric in UK and now semi Imperial in Texas. Weather is Fahrenheit in US & I understand that better than Centigrade.

Given Centigrade I do a bit of mental arithmetic and get Fahrenheit - I then know how hot or cold I would be much more easily. Likewise with distance/measurement feet & ins or miles is easier for me to visualize

Given Centigrade I do a bit of mental arithmetic and get Fahrenheit - I then know how hot or cold I would be much more easily.

It's quite simple: 0°C = cold; 10° = cool; 20° = warm; 30° = hot .

<< The media frequently quote figures of weight/size/capacity in metric units but commonly are incorrect by a factor of 10 or even 100, because the journalists/presenters have no intuitive feel for metric units.>>

I would have thought that most 'journalists/presenters' would have been educated after our switch to metric units, so their feel may be little better in Imperial.

But the good old gallon refuses to die here, especially when talking consumption - I have no idea when I last bought a gallon of fuel. I still have a 2-gallon watering-can, of course ...

I suspect it was the wow factor of going into three digit temperatures, rather than 37.8degC.

We Brits like to make things difficult for ourselves:

Buy fuel in Litres but mostly use miles and miles per gallon.

Most items bought from the shops are weighed in kilos or grammes, but we like to weigh ourselves in stones, pounds and ounces. Markets, of course often still use Imperial wights and measures, as often do pubs and bars (pints, etc).

Small distances we measure in mm, cm and some in metres. Some, of course, especially pertaining to the body (wink, wink) are measured in inches and feet. Golf course in yards, but athletics events in metres.

Normally not too much of a problem, except when the 'experts' at NASA and ESA forget to convert km into miles, etc and the space probe crash lands on or misses Mars entirely....

<< Small distances we measure in mm, cm and some in metres. >>

I think the obstacle is the decimal point. Most Imperial measures use fractions, not decimals. Hence nothing between metres and millimetres, even if centimetres would be the most convenient unit. It's daft to measure things the size of a car or a bath in millimetres - if accuracy is essential a decimal can be included, but those are a no-no in the UK.

Perception of Battery Electric Vehicles in the UK - edlithgow

Q 25 (or 26?) seemed particularly silly even in this context.

IIRC (I’m not checking) we were asked to estimate the % improvement in climate change/environmental damage from our individual purchase of an EV.

Whatever that actually means, if anything, the answer is inevitably 0 unless the slider does an awful lot of decimal places to the right of the point.

Perception of Battery Electric Vehicles in the UK - Bolt

Q 25 (or 26?) seemed particularly silly even in this context.

IIRC (I’m not checking) we were asked to estimate the % improvement in climate change/environmental damage from our individual purchase of an EV.

Whatever that actually means, if anything, the answer is inevitably 0 unless the slider does an awful lot of decimal places to the right of the point.

It might clean up the air, but climate change may not be altered in any way, instead we will end up with piles of batteries all over the place with out of date useless circuit boards to wade through instead of waste plastic.

I suppose the % change in individual rather than total footprint was meant.

Greenhouse reduction effect will depend largely on the source of the electricity. If I was back in Scotland, where it is almost all from renewables, it'd be greater than here in Taiwan, where hardly any of it is.

However, it'll also depend on what one is replacing. If you account for the energy involved in constructing the vehicle, since I drive a 36 year old fairly economical car very low miles, it seems likely that its replacement with a new EV would increase emissions, at least within my lifetime.

I couldn't reflect this in my response since there was no negative scale on the slider.

Scotland depends on

1)Torness nuclear 1.4GW

2)Peterhead Gas 0.5GW

3) Imports from England - GAS in the main + French Nuclear/Dutch oil/coal/gas

It was claimed, by some greenies, Scotland was capable of almost 100% wind generated - total generated = total burned.

This is twisting the truth - many weeks and months there is little or no wind power or the wind is during darkness when there is a much reduced demand.

We are dependent on nuclear/gas and England supply. You cannot rely on wind - Hydro & pumped storage only really provide power for peaks in demand and very short periods - say an hour or 2!

Scotland depends on

1)Torness nuclear 1.4GW

2)Peterhead Gas 0.5GW

It was claimed, by some greenies, Scotland was capable of almost 100% wind generated - total generated = total burned.

This is twisting the truth - many weeks and months there is little or no wind power or the wind is during darkness when there is a much reduced demand.

We are dependent on nuclear/gas and England supply. You cannot rely on wind - Hydro & pumped storage only really provide power for peaks in demand and very short periods - say an hour or 2!

www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-56530424

"Scotland has narrowly missed a target to generate the equivalent of 100% of its electricity demand from renewables in 2020.

New figures reveal it reached 97.4% from renewable sources."

Fake news?

Scotland depends on

1)Torness nuclear 1.4GW

2)Peterhead Gas 0.5GW

www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-56530424

"Scotland has narrowly missed a target to generate the equivalent of 100% of its electricity demand from renewables in 2020.

New figures reveal it reached 97.4% from renewable sources."

Fake news?

Assuming its not fake, I take your point that total generated = total used does not mean that all electricity used in Scotland was from renewables, since generation and demand are not coincident in time. but its surely a pretty good ,milestone,

Assuming consistent accounting it compares favorably with Taiwan, where its a negligable 3% or so, and presumably they did something with the electricity. perhaps offloading gas and hydro (which can ramp up and down fairly quickly) and /or exporting it.

Long term expanding pump storage locally and in Europe should help to address the temporal mismatch.

Perception of Battery Electric Vehicles in the UK - galileo

<< Small distances we measure in mm, cm and some in metres. >>

I think the obstacle is the decimal point. Most Imperial measures use fractions, not decimals. Hence nothing between metres and millimetres, even if centimetres would be the most convenient unit. It's daft to measure things the size of a car or a bath in millimetres - if accuracy is essential a decimal can be included, but those are a no-no in the UK.

When I was at school the metric units were based on the CGS version. (centimetre/gram/second).

Then some committee of academics/politicians decided that the S.I. preferred units should be based on MKS (metre/kilogram/second).

Your guess is as god as mine why.

Perception of Battery Electric Vehicles in the UK - movilogo

As an octogenarian I am surprised to find people still talking in Fahrenheit.

USA consistently uses imperial units (though NASA uses metric units).
Rest of the world consistently use metric units.

Only UK continues to use messed up units, buy fuel in L but measure distance in miles - yet measure fuel economy in MPG.

I find distances easier in km. Typical motorway speed is 100 km/h. So if a place is 250 km away and I'll be mostly travelling via motorways, then I can instantly figure out it will take me 2.5 hours roughly.

Perception of Battery Electric Vehicles in the UK - daveyK_UK
Was it British Gas or British Rail who have pledged to have an all electric road fleet of 2500+ cars and vans by 2027?

Good luck with the charge points!
Perception of Battery Electric Vehicles in the UK - alan1302
Was it British Gas or British Rail who have pledged to have an all electric road fleet of 2500+ cars and vans by 2027? Good luck with the charge points!

Expect most of them will be at the depot.

<< USA consistently uses imperial units (though NASA uses metric units). >>

That was what led to the famous rocket failure I believe - some measurement was wrongly stated or misinterpreted.

Perception of Battery Electric Vehicles in the UK - barney100

I can't get on with metric and have to convert everything to imperial. For me metric was progress backwards.

I can't get on with metric and have to convert everything to imperial. For me metric was progress backwards.

I would suggest that if it's not too late, you should learn to 'get on' with metric, if only to prevent errors in converting to Imperial :-) Remember that spacecraft ....

Perception of Battery Electric Vehicles in the UK - mcb100
My favourite tale of metric/imperial confusion was the ‘Gimli Glider’, a passenger Boeing 767 fuelled in lbs of Jet A1 instead of kilos.
No serious injuries, despite running out of fuel at 41,000 feet/12500 metres.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider
Perception of Battery Electric Vehicles in the UK - barney100

Easy, overpriced, under ranged, battery deterioration, infrastructure no where near good enough. Put that lot right and I might be tempted.

Perception of Battery Electric Vehicles in the UK - Warning

- I have a 16 year old car. It is probably more eco-friendly for me to continue using my existing car then buying an electric car. I am a low mileage user. I have to factor in the cost of manufacturing an electric car. There is a carbon cost to that too.

- Local authorities used the pandemic to close off roads to traffic. What is the point of buying an electric car, if there is an anti-car mindset? They say clean air, but an electric car is clean so why do they block roads?

- Even if I don't have a charging point outside my home, but I am often parked up at a Supermarket. It is a good place to top-up electric charge, whilst I shop. However, they have zero charging points.

Perception of Battery Electric Vehicles in the UK - Steveieb
Latest review is that owners of electric vehicles will be requested to charge overnight at home because the electricity infrastructure won't support charging away from home during the day.
In the UK it seems that it's time to slow down the update until the generating capacity and network is improved !
I was talking to someone from the National Grid, a few days ago.
They are looking forward to everyone being in EV’s, simply because it will even out loadings on their network. During moments of peak demand, power will be drawn from EV’s currently plugged in - the kettle switched on during half time England vs Italy may well have been powered by your car plugged in outside.
That, in turn, charges overnight when demand is low.
National Grid’s infrastructure - cables, switches, etc, won’t be subjected to the same heating/cooling cycles and will have a much easier time, and thus will last longer.
Watch this for a longer answer - youtu.be/eaE57tChPQM
Perception of Battery Electric Vehicles in the UK - SLO76
What will everyone who lives in flats or houses with on street parking do? Are we going to see cables littering our pavements tripping up pensioners? Full electrification is unrealistic and unwanted. Small petrol engined superminis and city cars are less damaging to the environment over their full lifespan with lower mileage users and electric equivalents are unviable economically for many ordinary working people. This is knee-jerk action from politicians who’ve no understanding of what ordinary people want or can afford.

Edited by SLO76 on 28/07/2021 at 09:52

There will be petrol engined cars on our roads for the lifespan of a car after 2030 - so some years yet.
By then, charging will be as fast and infrequent as filling up with petrol, and no one currently does that at home.
Don’t judge the situation by what we have today, by 2030 the picture will be unrecognisable in comparison with 2021.
What will everyone who lives in flats or houses with on street parking do? Are we going to see cables littering our pavements tripping up pensioners? Full electrification is unrealistic and unwanted. Small petrol engined superminis and city cars are less damaging to the environment over their full lifespan with lower mileage users and electric equivalents are unviable economically for many ordinary working people. This is knee-jerk action from politicians who’ve no understanding of what ordinary people want or can afford.

No, we won't see cables everywhere - faster charging is coming as are longer lasting batteries requiring less charging...and a lot more charging points as well in cars parks etc.

Small petrol cars are more damaging to the environment than an electric equivalent - it's nonsense to think otherwise.

Electric cars will be around the same price as cars now...and there are plenty of them about so costs won't be an issue...especially as fuel costs will be a lot less.

"

Small petrol cars are more damaging to the environment than an electric equivalent - it's nonsense to think otherwise.

"

Probably NOT nonsense if you factor in the environmental cost of producing the electric replacement, as myself and another poster have already pointed out.

In my case (36 year old carbureted small petrol car) emissions per mile are probably fairly bad, but the low miles make it doubtful there would be an environmental benefit from an electric replacement within my lifetime.

"

"

Probably NOT nonsense if you factor in the environmental cost of producing the electric replacement, as myself and another poster have already pointed out.

In my case (36 year old carbureted small petrol car) emissions per mile are probably fairly bad, but the low miles make it doubtful there would be an environmental benefit from an electric replacement within my lifetime.

If you are buying a car to replace one that already exists then yes, I agree with you - better to stick with what you have. Think the poster meant small cars in general though.

- Even if I don't have a charging point outside my home, but I am often parked up at a Supermarket. It is a good place to top-up electric charge, whilst I shop. However, they have zero charging points.

Probably to limit the number of people occupying parking-space to charge their cars ?