What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Price Personalised Number Plates - wantstolearn

I realise probably impossible to answer but is the average price of number plates rising or falling ?

I have a three letter name with 3 digits and have been offered less than I was a few years ago.

Price Personalised Number Plates - Xileno

Demand for something like these will be very sensitive to people's financial position, being a nice-to-have (for some people) but ultimately totally unnecessary. Maybe the concerns over covid and the ending of furlough have depressed prices.

This will get more visibility in the Motoring forum and is motoring related so I will boot it across in a bit.

Thanks. I agree totally unnecessary and easy not to buy.

Price Personalised Number Plates - Doc

If you keep the number then it is a good investment long term.

Price Personalised Number Plates - Alby Back
It could, maybe, just be that it's a fashion that has had its day. There have been things in the past that were popular car accessories which are no longer desirable. Bendy aerials, cushions on the parcel shelf, spot lights, boot spoilers, sun strips etc. I'm sure we can all think of many examples.

Back when "private" plates were a bit of a novelty, they may well have added something, even premiumised the vehicle a little. But, as time passed, their main purpose seemed to shift towards disguising the age of the vehicle. And, a bit like removing boot badges to attempt conceal that the car was a smaller engined model, it became a bit of a foot shot.

Far from adding value or desirability it can actually have the opposite effect. The main irony being that it doesn't disguise the age of the vehicle from those of us car nerdy enough to know what model it is, and those who don't really care about cars won't care about the number plate either.

Add into the above, the inexorable rise in people going down the pcp route and getting themselves a new car every three years, and the motivation to hide the age of their older car is in fact reversed. The sort of person who was bothered about what their neighbours or peers thought of their car is exactly the same sort of person who would revel in displaying the latest model year plate.

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't care less, and nor should anyone, if people want to put a "private" plate on their car, especially if it means something to them, or "spells" something they like or even just if it simply amuses them to do so. Free country and all that, and it's a harmless enough thing to do, but they'd be wrong if they think it's going to add anything to the image of the vehicle or the driver, and it might in fact, slightly detract from both now that the fashion has frankly, just got a bit old.

Things have their time, and then they don't.

Price Personalised Number Plates - catsdad

S1, the first Scottish plate, sold for nearly £400k a few years back. I was an acquaintance of the family who owned it when I was at Uni in the 70’s. At that time they seemed to regard it as a family curio as it had been issued to their great (?) grandfather. It graced a Hillman Imp but I am sure it’s being assembled in Scotland was a coincidence. A great rate of return for a freebie.

On the government site it now on a 2010 Rolls. It’s taxed but the MoT has expired.

Thanks for all the responses. Alby, I hope it doesn't sound patronising, not.meant, but I particularly appreciate your logic which is very clear. I also appreciate people's courtesy, not always the case on forums.

can anyone recommend a car mag to advertise it in please ?

Price Personalised Number Plates - John F

The DVLA receipt says I paid a total of £399 for W12 AYE which although I found amusing will probably only ever be understood by Scottish petrolheads. Estimates please on how much it might add to the value of my W12 Audi when it is eventually sold.

Price Personalised Number Plates - sammy1

""" W12 AYE"" Quite right! what is it in English I have heard the phrase "whataye" but cannot see the connection

As regards private plates I think they are fine. If you want to buy and pay the DVLA £80 when you change cars. Some of the plates are naff in as much as they mean little to most other than the owner. There is also the way some illegally space the letters and numbers but the police have other things to worry about but you occasionally here of people being fined. Plates like S1 on prestige cars are a bit of a status symbol and go for big money. They can be a good investment but when you look at sites selling them most appear to be on sale for ever

Price Personalised Number Plates - Doc

Thanks for all the responses. Alby, I hope it doesn't sound patronising, not.meant, but I particularly appreciate your logic which is very clear. I also appreciate people's courtesy, not always the case on forums.

can anyone recommend a car mag to advertise it in please ?

Try an internet auction site first; some number plate companies will take 50% of the selling price.

Thanks, that's interesting.

Price Personalised Number Plates - Sofa Spud

The Lord Provost of Edinburgh's official car used to be registered S0, which is lower than S1, although it was probably issued later. I don't know that registration is still carried, and whether it would even be legal on any 'ordinary' vehicle.

Price Personalised Number Plates - catsdad

S0 is in a BMW7 series so could still be a official car. There must be quite a few single alpha/ numeric registrations kicking around.

Price Personalised Number Plates - Xileno

Classmate's Dad had 'T3' on a Rover SD1 in the 80s, probably worth many times the value of the car.

Price Personalised Number Plates - Bilboman

Fun fact: along with Queen Elizabeth and her personally owned cars, the Lord High commissioner of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland is also exempt from showing a number plate on their official car.