What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
John O'Groats to Land's End EV Record - Chris M

BBC South is my local region and this record attempt has been covered a little on the local news although I'd be interested to see a proper dedicated programme. Not covered in the clip below was the faulty charger at Gretna which nearly scuppered the attempt.

www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-57777588

John O'Groats to Land's End EV Record - RT

27 hours is over double the time that multiple drivers would take in a petrol/diesel car. Their average speed, excluding charging, was just 33 mph so not representative of anything.

John O'Groats to Land's End EV Record - badbusdriver

27 hours is over double the time that multiple drivers would take in a petrol/diesel car. Their average speed, excluding charging, was just 33 mph so not representative of anything.

It says they arrived in Cornwall after 27 hours, doesn't mention anything about that just being driving time (incidentally, according to my calculator, 840 divided by 27 equals 31.1). So I'd be interested to hear how much of those 27 hours was spent charging.

It says they arrived in Cornwall after 27 hours, doesn't mention anything about that just being driving time (incidentally, according to my calculator, 840 divided by 27 equals 31.1). So I'd be interested to hear how much of those 27 hours was spent charging.

Just over 1 hour 30 mins according to reports - so 840 divided by 25.5 equals 33.

John O'Groats to Land's End EV Record - Grenache

They were also supported by Ford & AA engineers - so not really confident that it would make it?

Let them try again in the middle of winter in the pouring rain/snow and see how far they get!

John O'Groats to Land's End EV Record - brum

Got to laugh

Turned off aircon and radio, closed windows to conserve battery. Travelled with 2 co drivers, driving at night to avoid congestion. 27 hour night? Shadowed by an AA breakdown van with AA and ford engineers on hand. Such is their confidence. Spent 6 months planning the trip. Well that was a waste of half a year then. Could have walked instead

BBC correspondent "We have reached the tipping point."

Really? lol

John O'Groats to Land's End EV Record - Terry W

Volvo reckon they will have an EV capable of 600+ miles on a charge by 2030.

However only those with a catheter fitted or a bladder the size of a football woud likely manage 600 miles without a break, even driving an ICE.

EV effectiveness is just a function of battery capacity and recharge times. Those who think they will get no better reflect upon - from wikipedia:

On 22 May 2011, Kevin Sharpe and David Peilow completed the first end-to-end run from John o' Groats to Land's End in an electric car over two days, using only charging stations available to the general public, in a Tesla sports car.

Assuming improvements in the last 10 years continue, by 2030 EV will be faster than ICE. By 2050 an EV will do the return trip before you have even started!

John O'Groats to Land's End EV Record - brum

And by 2050 fusion reactors will be so prolific that they will pay us to recharge our cars.

Can hardly wait....

Volvo reckon they will have an EV capable of 600+ miles on a charge by 2030.

However only those with a catheter fitted or a bladder the size of a football woud likely manage 600 miles without a break, even driving an ICE.

The amount of energy that can be transferred during a 5 minute toilet break is low.

John O'Groats to Land's End EV Record - alan1302

They were also supported by Ford & AA engineers - so not really confident that it would make it?

Let them try again in the middle of winter in the pouring rain/snow and see how far they get!

If you were doing this properly in an ICE car you would take the same with you.

John O'Groats to Land's End EV Record - Metropolis.
Ha, not a great advertisement for EVs. Although I think the record is actually for energy efficiency, rather than speed, no?
Ha, not a great advertisement for EVs. Although I think the record is actually for energy efficiency, rather than speed, no?

Yes, it is - that's what the article said the record was for.

John O'Groats to Land's End EV Record - Chris M

Paul Clifton held (holds?) the world record for the same journey in a Jazz (petrol). That took planning and had the AA tagging along I believe. I assume Honda were involved in that attempt just like Ford are for the EV one. Also assume they and the AA funded the exercise so why shouldn't they be following.

As it appears the battery was flat at the end I guess Ford or the AA provided the flatbed to recover the car. Edmund King was interviewed by Paul Clifton at Goodwood. Not surprisingly the AA are gearing up for flat EV batteries.

John O'Groats to Land's End EV Record - barney100

EVs getting better but this test was done by a team in a rather expensive car with a team at quiet times. How about a Nissan Leaf or the like driven by a couple of ordinary folks starting on a cold Friday afternoon. Mustang mach E...how much is that?

John O'Groats to Land's End EV Record - barney100

£41 grand plus but the claimed 370 odd mile range is impressive so the EV scene is looking more promising.

John O'Groats to Land's End EV Record - Miniman777

Average speed of 33mph is simply unrealistic and bears no comparison to day-to-day motoring. Fiddled to proof a point.

Not everyone will want to spend 30-40 mins at charging points either under normal conditions, I know I wont want to hang around. Time is money.....

Average speed of 33mph is simply unrealistic and bears no comparison to day-to-day motoring. Fiddled to proof a point.

It's not meant to have a comparison to day to day motoring...it was a fun thing to do and a bit of advertising for Ford...why so serious?

John O'Groats to Land's End EV Record - Ethan Edwards

So slightly better than a horse, but not that much better. Yeah that's progress. The horse would of course be even greener. So the futures green it's a Pony n Trap. And I think we can agree an EV is definitely Pony , at the moment. Let's wait till every house has several Mr Fusion kitchen appliances.

So slightly better than a horse, but not that much better. Yeah that's progress. The horse would of course be even greener. So the futures green it's a Pony n Trap. And I think we can agree an EV is definitely Pony , at the moment. Let's wait till every house has several Mr Fusion kitchen appliances.

Much better than a horse

John O'Groats to Land's End EV Record - Theophilus

It's not meant to have a comparison to day to day motoring...it was a fun thing to do and a bit of advertising for Ford...why so serious?

"A bit of advertising for Ford" ... which got a lot of free coverage over several programs and days on BBC

"A bit of advertising for Ford" ... which got a lot of free coverage over several programs and days on BBC

Got a lot of advertsing on here as well with people moaning about it! LOL

John O'Groats to Land's End EV Record - badbusdriver

So slightly better than a horse, but not that much better. Yeah that's progress. The horse would of course be even greener.

The horse most definitely would not be better. We know this as an absolute fact because we have been there before. In the late 1800's most big cities were literally drowning in manure, there were huge environmental and health problems as a direct result.

So actually the horse wouldn't be greener, browner maybe?