What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - John F

Hypermilers in the USA with their ubiquitous automatics have long been familiar with this technique which I have used for many years. Here is an extract from one of their forums dated June 2008....

Here is a little tid bit on a technique that was taught to me while I was in the military (ARMY) for all of 14 years. The technique pulse and glide was born during WORLD WAR II when the greatest effective method in a war is to ambush fuel and ration supply convoys i.e trucks that was sent to refuel tanks,armored vehicles and troop transport vehicles.
Soldiers improvised and learned to use techniques the lead to fuel rationing and effectively increasing the Mpg's.
I was taught a modified version of pulse and glide
technique. and I have using pulse and glide ever sense 1996.
Which is PULSE= steady footing on that gas pedal and never I never repeat going above 2000 rpms ( keep your cool) GLIDE= coasting in neutral on all declines...

......On our Peugeot 2008 the overall long term fuel consumption (mainly Mrs F) is around 43mpg, but when I drive, it can be over 47 on the second trip computer. On our automatics (ZF 6HP in the Audi, EAT6 in the Peugeot, it is so simple to flick between D to N to coast down hills and up to roundabouts etc., despite being sternly warned in the handbook never to do so! As long as the engine is idling there is no risk of non-lubrication of the gearbox, and if the engine is revved slightly from idle depending upon speed, re-engagement of D is smooth.

Edited by John F on 09/07/2021 at 11:50

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - Sofa Spud

Surely that rather defeats the reason for having an automatic in the first place! If you have to keep shifting between D and N, you might as well have a manual car and get even better fuel economy!

I like driving automatics - but as someone who normally drives manuals, when I'm in an auto it's in 'D' all the time unless there's a good reason for it not to be!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 09/07/2021 at 12:00

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - badbusdriver

Surely that rather defeats the reason for having an automatic in the first place!

Not really, its no different from putting a manual into neutral going down a hill. Not that I would bother too much about doing this on a manual or an auto.

Thing is John, your comparison between yours and your wife's average economy does not, by itself, support continuing to use this technique. The difference could easily be accounted by her simply being harder on the throttle pedal. What you need to do, now that you have your average with this hypermiling technique, is to spend a few months driving as you would (in terms of acceleration and revs management) but without putting it into neutral.

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - edlithgow

I do that in a manual,

IIRC the Highway Code disapproves, but I started doing it after passing my test, sort of as a reward, and have done it ever since,

I developed the technique in Israeli occupied Palestine in the 80's, due to a combination of hilly terrain, uncertain petrol supply, and a non-servo braked VW Beetle which made cutting the engine on downgrades less fraught

.My longest engine-off coast is the Rest and Be Thankfull pass in Scotland, a fast run all the way down to Arrochar if you can avoid braking where the road crosses the burn about half way down.

I assume the highway code disapproves because you dont have access to "instant acceleration" which could perhaps sometimes get you out of trouble. OTOH I can think of at least one incident where a lack of lift off braking probably saved me and a couple of other people from death or serious injury

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - Andrew-T

My longest engine-off coast is the Rest and Be Thankfull pass in Scotland, a fast run all the way down to Arrochar if you can avoid braking where the road crosses the burn about half way down.

My longest downhill run in neutral would have been in 1964, in my Morris 1100, on holiday in the western States. Americans are very good at engineering long steady gradients, and we trundled for 11 miles down one somewhere in Utah.

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - edlithgow

My longest engine-off coast is the Rest and Be Thankfull pass in Scotland, a fast run all the way down to Arrochar if you can avoid braking where the road crosses the burn about half way down.

My longest downhill run in neutral would have been in 1964, in my Morris 1100, on holiday in the western States. Americans are very good at engineering long steady gradients, and we trundled for 11 miles down one somewhere in Utah.

Morris 1100 must have been a pretty unusual car in the US even then. Not Citroen DS "starship" advanced, but quite far out compared to the local product.

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - bathtub tom

Morris 1100 must have been a pretty unusual car in the US even then.

A few years ago I had some Wartburg Knight disc pads that ended up in California.

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - Andrew-T

<< My longest downhill run in neutral would have been in 1964, in my Morris 1100, on holiday in the western States. Americans are very good at engineering long steady gradients, and we trundled for 11 miles down one somewhere in Utah.

Morris 1100 must have been a pretty unusual car in the US even then. Not Citroen DS "starship" advanced, but quite far out compared to the local product. >>

It certainly was. I stopped at the Salt Lake City dealership for some small problem and it was agreed that the car would make it to the next one in the Bay Area, about 1500 miles on. I think the rubber CV joints were starting to knock, but they survived.

The best party trick was to lift the bonnet and display the transverse engine, which usually caused a few 'Gee's. Somewhere I have a photo of the car at the roadside in the Nevada desert.

Edited by Andrew-T on 18/07/2021 at 09:50

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - craig-pd130

What do you mean, fuel costs have gone up? Petrol's always been a tenner, hasn't it?

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - Alby Back
...and they say the Scots are tight!

;-))))
Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - paul 1963
...and they say the Scots are tight! ;-))))

Every little helps, right John? :)

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - Doc
Why is it a bad technique to coast when driving downhill?

www.lightfoot.co.uk/news/2018/02/02/bad-technique-.../

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - bathtub tom

I've practised this since the '80s when I used to compete in non-observed economy runs. I couldn't figure out how others were getting so much better mileage and then someone put me right. Once got over 90MPG from a Maxi.

I don't now switch off the engine after an incident where the steering lock operated! I also believe it's not good practice to bump start a car fitted with a cat.

I've practised this since the '80s when I used to compete in non-observed economy runs. I couldn't figure out how others were getting so much better mileage and then someone put me right. Once got over 90MPG from a Maxi.

I don't now switch off the engine after an incident where the steering lock operated! I also believe it's not good practice to bump start a car fitted with a cat.

Having owned several Maxis I still find these exaggerated figures hard to credit. But never mind the steering lock, the engine should never be stopped if your car has a brake servo !

the engine should never be stopped if your car has a brake servo !

Why not? There's at least a couple of assisted operations from the vacuum reservoir and as long as you bear that in mind you should be OK. I have been - so far.

Coasting in neutral means you don't have engine drag to slow you down. If the revs are above 1200-1500 with the throttle off, no fuel will be used (unless you've one of these snarly, barky, noisy things that continue to fuel). I use both methods, depending on the circumstances.

the engine should never be stopped if your car has a brake servo !

Why not? There's at least a couple of assisted operations from the vacuum reservoir and as long as you bear that in mind you should be OK. I have been - so far.

Coasting in neutral means you don't have engine drag to slow you down. If the revs are above 1200-1500 with the throttle off, no fuel will be used (unless you've one of these snarly, barky, noisy things that continue to fuel). I use both methods, depending on the circumstances.

'Coasting in neutral' means out of gear with the engine running - at least to me. Free-wheeling with a dead engine is perfectly possible (I have done that too) but not only do you soon empty the vacuum reservoir, you lose PAS as well, unless it's electric.

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - Engineer Andy

If (and when) I buy a car with an automatic transmission, it'll be because I don't want the hassle of gear changing, especially when driving in slow miving heavy traffic. I'll be happy to put up with higher fuel use in return for an easier driving experience.

I also tried the 'coasting in neutral' method with my first car (manual Micra) and as HJ himself said (I stopped after reading it), the car uses more fuel in neutral (manuals at elast0 as the car runs at a minimum number of revs rather than in gear when it (and the speed) drops with engine braking and uses no fuel. It's also dangerous because, at least on 'older' cars, brake assist isn't engaged in that mode (at least mine wasn't). Not sure about newer ones though.

You can save at least as much money on fuel by us better anticipating needing to slow down for junctions/vehicles turning, etc to reduce braking and accelerating. I manage to get 10% more than the average mpg for my car despite doing a good mix of driving.

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - Terry W

Current car - Peugeot 308 auto - shows 999mpg on the mpg readout when "coasting" downhill. I assume the fuel supply to the engine is simply stopped on the overrun.

On a modern manual vehicle there may be a balance point where the fuel consumed by idling and coasting in neutral is less than that used to regain speed lost through engine braking if in gear - but this would be dependant on the gradient and safe speed.

Go back four decades and carburettors were the norm. They functioned through a vacuum created in the inlet manifold which "sucked" petrol from the carb into the engine.

Coasting in neutral may then have been more economical. Leaving it in gear would create a greater vacuum (more "suck") as the engine would be turning at greater than idle speed.

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - madf

On the overrun, EFI stops all petrol injection. (I think Bosch K Jetronic were first?)

So coasting is less efficient. (but engine braking will slow car down on some? all? autos)

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - daveyjp

Exactly ma*** If your foot isn't on the accelerator whilst going downhill and the engine is in gear it is using no fuel.

Rather than stick into neutral just have the instant mpg meter on the dash and use that to maximise mpg.

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - John F

On the overrun, EFI stops all petrol injection. (I think Bosch K Jetronic were first?)

So coasting is less efficient. (but engine braking will slow car down on some? all? autos)

Whether or not fuel is injected when the accelerator pedal is released is irrelevant. (That's the argument mentioned in the 'lightfoot' link in an above post, in which its author, one Dan Regan, appears to have forgotten his school physics.

It doesn't matter whether the energy comes from the fuel or from the kinetic energy of the moving car, or a combination of both. The simple fact is that more energy must be used to increase the rotational speed of the engine and its ancillaries above its idling speed. If no fuel is injected, the car will just slow more rapidly if not in neutral.

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - Lee Power

Current car - Peugeot 308 auto - shows 999mpg on the mpg readout when "coasting" downhill. I assume the fuel supply to the engine is simply stopped on the overrun.

My Purecrap 130 powered 308 T9 manual 6 speed also displays 999 instant mpg average when off throttle down hills.

My previous TU3 powered 206 manual also displayed the same instant average mpg reading in the same circumstances.

FWIW - The amount of down hill off throttle usage plus smart charging system seems to explain why the factory fitted battery is still working the stop / start system on my 2016 built 308 T9 even with short journey usage.

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - badbusdriver

Our previous car, a Honda Jazz CVT, had such 'long legs', going downhill on a very light throttle, I doubt there would be much, if any, advantage to be gained by knocking it into neutral. 70mph saw the engine turning as low as just over 2000rpm, and this from a n/a (102bhp) 1.3.

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - sammy1

There are some silly things on here this being one of them. Coasting in neutral is just dangerous as is turning off the ignition as previously mentioned. I expect younger readers come on here and might be tempted to try these things all to save a dubious few MPG and risk wrecking your gearbox. At least LFB has died a death!

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - RT

There are some silly things on here this being one of them. Coasting in neutral is just dangerous as is turning off the ignition as previously mentioned. I expect younger readers come on here and might be tempted to try these things all to save a dubious few MPG and risk wrecking your gearbox. At least LFB has died a death!

Some manufacturers include coasting as a standard feature, which can be electronically switch off - my 2016 VW Touareg has the feature although I have it switched off as I didn't buy a 2.3 tonne car for its economy!

Coasting in neutral is just dangerous as is turning off the ignition as previously mentioned. I expect younger readers come on here and might be tempted to try these things all to save a dubious few MPG and risk wrecking your gearbox.

I know the OP is about auto gearboxes, but at least for manuals I fail to see how coasting in neutral will cause more damage than using the gears to drive the car forward.

In pure safety terms it is more praiseworthy not to coast in neutral. I only do it on familiar un-busy roads with a gradient suitable for maintaining a steady and appropriate speed.

There are some silly things on here this being one of them. Coasting in neutral is just dangerous as is turning off the ignition as previously mentioned.

That is indeed silly. Turning off the ignition results in eventual exhaustion of the brake servo assistance and the power steering assistance. It also risks engagement of the steering lock if the key is turned too far. It should only be done with extreme circumspection on simple vehicles not fitted with such power assisted amenities such as, ahem, a TR7 ;-)

Edited by John F on 09/07/2021 at 20:04

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - RT

There are some silly things on here this being one of them. Coasting in neutral is just dangerous as is turning off the ignition as previously mentioned.

That is indeed silly. Turning off the ignition results in eventual exhaustion of the brake servo assistance and the power steering assistance. It also risks engagement of the steering lock if the key is turned too far. It should only be done with extreme circumspection on simple vehicles not fitted with such power assisted amenities such as, ahem, a TR7 ;-)

The brake servo will hold it's vacuum until the brakes are applied, with enough reserve for a couple of hard stops from high speed - most modern cars use electric power for their power steering

On a modern manual vehicle there may be a balance point where the fuel consumed by idling and coasting in neutral is less than that used to regain speed lost through engine braking if in gear - but this would be dependant on the gradient and safe speed.

Go back four decades and carburettors were the norm. They functioned through a vacuum created in the inlet manifold which "sucked" petrol from the carb into the engine.

Coasting in neutral may then have been more economical. Leaving it in gear would create a greater vacuum (more "suck") as the engine would be turning at greater than idle speed.

Thats my assumption, Dont have any figures for it, but it seems to follow from the way things work. Driving modern (company or hire cars) I didnt coast.

Engine off only in very rare circumstances, but servo brakes do seem to work with no vacuum, just takes more pedal effort

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - Alby Back
The biggest downside of hypermiling is getting stuck for miles behind someone who is trying to do it.
;-)
Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - movilogo

I didn't understand the opening post.

I thought coasting in neutral is actively discouraged as it is dangerous. I noticed that even if car is on D and on a downward slope instant fuel consumption shows zero or near zero, so what's the need for shifting to N then?

On a separate note, are most vehicles in military manual or automatic?

I didn't understand the opening post.

I thought coasting in neutral is actively discouraged as it is dangerous. I noticed that even if car is on D and on a downward slope instant fuel consumption shows zero or near zero, so what's the need for shifting to N then?

On a separate note, are most vehicles in military manual or automatic?

Stuart tank I looked at a while ago had a Cadillac autotrans and two Cadillac V8 sidevalve engines. Doubt you'd be doing much pulsing or gliding in one of them though

I expect younger readers come on here and might be tempted to try these things all to save a dubious few MPG and risk wrecking your gearbox.

If they are quite happy paying £50+ per month for the latest phone, they are not going to be in the slightest bit interested in faffing about with coasting (unless the car is doing it by itself, as some modern cars do) or hypermiling to save a couple of pounds a week on fuel.

<< .... servo brakes do seem to work with no vacuum, just takes more pedal effort >>

They would have to, in case of servo failure. It's just the moment of surprise when you apply the brakes for the 4th or 5th time, and find the servo is empty. That could happen at an awkward moment.

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - madf

<< .... servo brakes do seem to work with no vacuum, just takes more pedal effort >>

They would have to, in case of servo failure. It's just the moment of surprise when you apply the brakes for the 4th or 5th time, and find the servo is empty. That could happen at an awkward moment.

Anyone who tries an emergency stop with no servo action is a muppet and will likely end up stuffed into the back of something.

In emergencies you react. You don't think. And you do not react by putting the car into gear. You brake.

Remind me NEVERR to drive anywhere near some people.

I suspect some folk here have never driven a car with a freewheeling gearbox. My first was a Rover P4 and I believe some Saab two strokes also had them.

I've also had two cars with front disc brakes and no servo, one a two litre Vitesse. Modern cars are over-servoed.

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - misar

I suspect some folk here have never driven a car with a freewheeling gearbox. My first was a Rover P4 and I believe some Saab two strokes also had them.

It was actually a freewheel clutch. Rover discontinued the freewheel device in 1959 when they introduced vacuum assisted brakes. This was believed to be for safety. As already posted, if the car was in freewheel and the engine died, then only one or two assisted brake operations would be available before the reservoir was depleted.

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - misar

Leaving aside safety, the OP's technique may have worked on army trucks during WW2 but I doubt it achieves much on a modern family car. Most now use sophisticated engineering to get better fuel consumption figures and mild hybrids with regen braking are becoming ever more common. As for hypermiling that is more like a sport than an everyday driving technique.

The freewheel was still a feature on the SAAB 96/95 V4 until production ended in around 1980. When I worked at a SAAB dealer, there were two (as far as I recall) 96 V4's still serviced by us in the early-mid 90's. Had a proper fright the first time delivered one back to its owner. On approach to a red light I lifted my foot off the throttle pedal expecting some slowing, but in fact the car speeded up as we were going downhill and the freewheel was engaged (this was done using a lever under the dashboard)!!.

I've also had two cars with front disc brakes and no servo, one a two litre Vitesse. Modern cars are over-servoed.

VW Golf's only acquired a servo for the brakes during the production run of the MK2 (possibly the first facelift in '87). The last car I had with no servo for the brakes was a VW Polo saloon, I owned it for a year or so in the very late 90's. Thinking back, I suspect my first car with servo on the brakes was a 1985 Lada 1600 (I don't actually know it had servo, but I found the brakes very sharp compared to what I had been used to!).

But non servo brakes work absolutely fine, you just have to press harder!.

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - kiss (keep it simple)

My grandfather had an early Saab99 with freewheel. It was a J reg so probably 1971 or thereabouts. His later 99 was a 1974 automatic but by then freewheel had been discontinued

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - Lee Power

I already knew the answer but just to put this thread out of its misery - on the way home from work I tried coasting in neutral off throttle while the clutch pedal was released & found the instant mpg reading struggled to better 120 mpg.

I know on the same piece of road at the same speed in 3rd gear off throttle the car reads 999 instant mpg average.

Not using the gears correctly & coasting in neutral actually uses more fuel, not really a surprise with fuel injected engines.

308 Purecrap 130 with 6 speed manual gearbox.

I already knew the answer but just to put this thread out of its misery - on the way home from work I tried coasting in neutral off throttle while the clutch pedal was released & found the instant mpg reading struggled to better 120 mpg.

I know on the same piece of road at the same speed in 3rd gear off throttle the car reads 999 instant mpg average.

Not using the gears correctly & coasting in neutral actually uses more fuel, not really a surprise with fuel injected engines.

An example of one!

<< An example of one! >>

Two. My Pug 207 diesel always displays 999mpg when in any gear with a closed 'throttle' - foot off accelerator. If in neutral it seems the engine hunts a bit while idling, as the display is anything between 150 and 400. Very small consumption, but more than when in gear.

<< An example of one! >>

Two. My Pug 207 diesel always displays 999mpg when in any gear with a closed 'throttle' - foot off accelerator. If in neutral it seems the engine hunts a bit while idling, as the display is anything between 150 and 400. Very small consumption, but more than when in gear.

I'd think this is probably fairly general. Only academic interest to me though, since I don;t have fuel injection.

Since the initial context was automatics, it doesn't exactly "put the thread out of its misery" either.

Not driven autos much, but I'd think in neutral you'll lose the (partial) engine braking so you'll tend to conserve momentum better.

The freewheel was still a feature on the SAAB 96/95 V4 until production ended in around 1980. When I worked at a SAAB dealer, there were two (as far as I recall) 96 V4's still serviced by us in the early-mid 90's. Had a proper fright the first time delivered one back to its owner. On approach to a red light I lifted my foot off the throttle pedal expecting some slowing, but in fact the car speeded up as we were going downhill and the freewheel was engaged (this was done using a lever under the dashboard)!!.

VW Golf's only acquired a servo for the brakes during the production run of the MK2 (possibly the first facelift in '87). The last car I had with no servo for the brakes was a VW Polo saloon, I owned it for a year or so in the very late 90's. Thinking back, I suspect my first car with servo on the brakes was a 1985 Lada 1600 (I don't actually know it had servo, but I found the brakes very sharp compared to what I had been used to!).

But non servo brakes work absolutely fine, you just have to press harder!.

Yeh, all the Lada 1600 were servo. Some of the early Mk1 1200's weren't, but mine was too late for that.

I've heard/read somewhere that Porsche 911's had no servo until the late 70's, for better brake feel.

Anyone who tries an emergency stop with no servo action is a muppet and will likely end up stuffed into the back of something.

Proving the pudding, I broke off a wee plastic elbow on my Sierra and drove it with no brake servo for a day or two

On the way home through Tainan City late at night, I was overtaken by some boy ricers street racing. One of them aimed at a closing gap, lost nerve at the last second, panic-braked and spun.

I panic-braked too, and if I'd had brake servo would probably have hit him.

Poor muppet-man's ABS. Phew!

Sometimes less is more

Perhaps a bit of a one-off though, so I did fix it the next day, improvising a replacement from part of a Japanese ball point pen, which I probably had more confidence in than I would have had in a Ford part.

Edited by edlithgow on 10/07/2021 at 04:23

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - Brit_in_Germany

Let me see if I have things straight. Descending a hill with the car in neutral with fuel being burnt to keep the engine ticking over is more economical than descending in gear with the supply of fuel cut off? Right?

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - Xileno

That seems to be what the claim is. With modern ECU and fuel injection I am not convinced.

Unless you do a very high annual mileage, trying to save a few pence in fuel economy is tilting at windmills as a function of the total costs of motoring.

Financing the the purchase of the vehicle, suffering the subsequent depreciation, insurance costs, maintenance costs etc far outweighs any gains to be made by trying to squeeze a few extra mpg out of the thing.

My attitude is to get a car that performs the tasks I want it to, while being a pleasant place to sit while it does that, and with likely running costs that I'm comfortable with. Then just use it and enjoy it.

"Financing the the purchase of the vehicle, suffering the subsequent depreciation, insurance costs, maintenance costs etc far outweighs any gains to be made by trying to squeeze a few extra mpg out of the thing."

With the exception of insurance, these are negligable for a bangernaut, and insurance is worryingly cheap in Taiwan.

"My attitude is to get a car that performs the tasks I want it to, while being a pleasant place to sit while it does that, and with likely running costs that I'm comfortable with. Then just use it and enjoy it."

Fair enough. One of the tasks I want mine to perform is coasting in neutral.

I enjoy it.

Let me see if I have things straight. Descending a hill with the car in neutral with fuel being burnt to keep the engine ticking over is more economical than descending in gear with the supply of fuel cut off? Right?

It depends. In neutral you'll probably reach a higher speed and have more momentum to carry you further.

In gear (if the revs are above a certain range, in my experience 1200-1500) the fuel will be cut off, but you'll have the drag of the engine, which on a slight gradient may actually slow you.

On a steep hill you probably want to leave it in gear for the benefit of engine braking. I can think of one hill on the A30 where you can be exceeding the the NSL in gear.

Right. In the first instance, at the bottom of the hill the car will be travelling much faster than in the second instance, and so will possess much more kinetic energy, which will more than compensate for the tiny amount of fuel energy expended in keeping the engine ticking over at very low revs. (Also, once the revs drop below a certain level, the fuel overrun cut-off is disabled).

And the electronic pre-programmed artificial readings of 120mpg and 999mpg mentioned in above posts are irrelevant red herrings.

It seems many, possibly those who have never used a starting handle, still cannot grasp the simple fact that the faster you make an engine spin, whether by injecting fuel or by using the kinetic energy (motion) of the car, the more energy is needed. The kinetic energy employed on the downhill run has originally come from the fuel required to attain the top of the hill in the first place.

Try a simple experiment with a bicycle pump; stick your finger over the end to prevent air escaping, and pump against the resistance about fifty times, compressing the air as much as possible. Each compression generates heat owing to the energy expended by your now tired arm, and your hand with the occluding finger will feel that heat as the end of the pump gets hot. This is what happens to a much greater degree in the compression stroke of a four stroke engine's pistons, and is why they are so effective as a brake when un- or under-fuelled. The engine braking energy is dispelled as heat via the exhaust pipe and cooling system.

I realise that all this might be difficult to understand by those who failed to achieve a reasonable grade in GCSE Physics, but I have tried to describe it as simply as possible.

Edited by John F on 10/07/2021 at 10:39

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - Brit_in_Germany

Next we will be reading that speed limits are part of the 'big oil' conspiracy to supress economical driving styles.

Next we will be reading that speed limits are part of the 'big oil' conspiracy to supress economical driving styles.

On the contrary. Those here who can remember the last Suez crisis in the '70s may recall a lowering of the NSL on motorways to 50MPH. Did wonders for fuel economy and increased journey times very little. I was doing a regular 120 mile (2 hour) trip and found it took about ten minutes longer.

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - sammy1

The Welsh gov. is piloting urban areas with a 20MPH speed limit with a view to set it nation wide. How much more fuel would an average car or say a taxi use driving around in low gears and what effect would this have on pollution. It may save a few lives accident wise but a feel the extra pollution would be a big negative to this policy.

The Welsh gov. is piloting urban areas with a 20MPH speed limit

My local council are fond of this, they're popping up lots and spreading. It would seem to me, most drivers ignore them, but I don't know if speed bumps are worse.

<< I realise that all this might be difficult to understand by those who failed to achieve a reasonable grade in GCSE Physics, but I have tried to describe it as simply as possible. >>

John, you don't need to go into technical stuff about kinetic energy (you forgot to mention the potential energy at the top of your hill). The difference between going downhill in or out of gear is the action (or absence) of engine braking caused by the motion of the car compressing the gas (whatever that may be) in the cylinders.

You can get the same effect by just depressing the clutch to disengage the wheels from the engine, which can then idle in whatever gear you choose, or in neutral. It should do this to keep your brake servo operative - in case you really need it - and also your PAS if that uses a pump.

Talking manual of course, not auto.

Try a simple experiment with a bicycle pump; stick your finger over the end to prevent air escaping, and pump against the resistance about fifty times, compressing the air as much as possible. Each compression generates heat owing to the energy expended by your now tired arm, and your hand with the occluding finger will feel that heat as the end of the pump gets hot. This is what happens to a much greater degree in the compression stroke of a four stroke engine's pistons, and is why they are so effective as a brake when un- or under-fuelled. The engine braking energy is dispelled as heat via the exhaust pipe and cooling system.

I think with that exp.anation you would have failed your physics O' level. If you are simply compressing and letting the gas expand again you will have a heating cycle followed by a cooling cycle as the compressed air expands in the chamber.

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - movilogo

I mostly drive on flat ground so this problem does not arise.

Next time when I drive up the hill I shall carefully calculate if I can afford the extra fuel needed to climb up.

Cars with automatic gearboxes - ...fuel costs up, time to teach 'pulse and glide'? - Engineer Andy

I mostly drive on flat ground so this problem does not arise.

Next time when I drive up the hill I shall carefully calculate if I can afford the extra fuel needed to climb up.

Maybe we are just driving incorrectly, and need to only drive down hill all the time - problem solved! :-)

Right. In the first instance, at the bottom of the hill the car will be travelling much faster than in the second instance, and so will possess much more kinetic energy, which will more than compensate for the tiny amount of fuel energy expended in keeping the engine ticking over at very low revs. (Also, once the revs drop below a certain level, the fuel overrun cut-off is disabled).

And the electronic pre-programmed artificial readings of 120mpg and 999mpg mentioned in above posts are irrelevant red herrings.

It seems many, possibly those who have never used a starting handle, still cannot grasp the simple fact that the faster you make an engine spin, whether by injecting fuel or by using the kinetic energy (motion) of the car, the more energy is needed. The kinetic energy employed on the downhill run has originally come from the fuel required to attain the top of the hill in the first place.

This is all beyond me. But as I said earlier, Instead of comparing your average mpg (including your hypermiling technique) to your wife's, compare it to your own mpg (over the course of a month or two) while not doing the hypermiling, but otherwise driving as you would (re acceleration and speed). Then come back and tell us what the difference is.

Remember the Escape lane at the bottom of long steep hills primarily I think for HGV brake fade. If people drove as some might suggest in neutral than it might be a good idea to bring them back!!

Remember the Escape lane at the bottom of long steep hills primarily I think for HGV brake fade. If people drove as some might suggest in neutral than it might be a good idea to bring them back!!

Bring them back from where?, they never left.

Some 50+ years ago I drove a 1946 Rover 16 with freewheel and rod operated drum brakes.

On some Scottish descents the front drums were glowing red hot and brake smoke invaded teh car. Brake fade is frightening. Just about avoided the runoff areas - tow you out job.

Some 50+ years ago I drove a 1946 Rover 16 with freewheel and rod operated drum brakes.

So a sixty year old car exhibited problems? I've driven cars over a hundred years old, wouldn't expect much of the brakes and would drive it with that in mind

Try a simple experiment with a bicycle pump; stick your finger over the end ...

...I think with that exp.anation you would have failed your physics O' level. .....

You are right - I should have said let some compressed heated air escape so the piston compresses some new air each stroke, which is what happens in the engine.

On some Scottish descents the front drums were glowing red hot and brake smoke invaded teh car. Brake fade is frightening. Just about avoided the runoff areas - tow you out job.

Were you not able to engage/disengage the freewheel on the Rover?, you certainly could with the freewheel function in a SAAB.

Were you not able to engage/disengage the freewheel on the Rover?, you certainly could with the freewheel function in a SAAB.

Well yes

But I was a student at the time...

I think you'll find the freewheel on the Saab was because of the two stroke engine. They had a fixed petrol/oil ratio and going on a long downhill section, with a trailing throttle could potentially not provide enough lubrication to the engine internals. Later 2-ts had an oil pump that supplied oil depending on engine revs and throttle opening.

I think you'll find the freewheel on the Saab was because of the two stroke engine. They had a fixed petrol/oil ratio and going on a long downhill section, with a trailing throttle could potentially not provide enough lubrication to the engine internals. Later 2-ts had an oil pump that supplied oil depending on engine revs and throttle opening.

I've no experience of the two stroke versions. My own SAAB freewheel experience was limited only to the 96 V4 (which used a Ford engine), though the very early 99's (which used a Triumph engine) also had a freewheel (neither of which were two stroke).