What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Used Fiat Tipo / Used Skoda Rapid - Used Fiat Tipo - swansea_karl

Im looking for a medium car to replace my Astra. The Fiat Tipos look good value. What are they like? I sat in one in a Fiat dealer and thought they were roomy and comfortable.

Any advise on a good replacement, Astra / Focus sized car. Under 8k.

Used Fiat Tipo / Used Skoda Rapid - Used Fiat Tipo - SLO76
You’ll get a much newer Tipo for your money but an older Honda Civic, Mazda 3 or Toyota Auris petrol will hold its value far better and offer vastly superior longterm reliability. I’d favour a Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv, it’s a far superior car to the Tipo.
Used Fiat Tipo / Used Skoda Rapid - Used Fiat Tipo - badbusdriver

If you just want a basic runaround, a petrol Tipo would be fine. Just be aware of what you are getting for your money. The best deals are for the 1.4 n/a petrol which has 94bhp and not an awful lot of torque. Fine in urban environments, but I'm guessing it would be hard going on the motorway, especially with a car full.

Your thread title also mentions the Skoda Rapid (though nothing more is said in the thread). This would seem to be aimed at a similar market position, but the advantage is that an £8k Rapid will come with a choice of 94 or 110bhp 1.0 turbo engines. The turbo, on a motorway, will make a huge difference with more torque at much lower revs, meaning the engine isn't having to work as hard. The main downside of the Rapid is the narrow cabin, so if you regularly need to put three passengers on the rear seat, it wouldn't be ideal. But if you are considering a Rapid, look at the Seat Toledo too which is the same car with a different badge.

In terms of good value, I'd suggest looking at a Vauxhall Astra too. Heavy depreciation means bargains are there for the taking.