What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
All - E10 fuel - Ethan Edwards

With the E10 fuel now being foisted onto us. Its a given that mpg is worse even the RAC and Which acknowledge that.

So has anyone found any "snake oil" additive to reclaim the lost ponies? And is it turbo and Cat safe?

All - E10 fuel - Big John

I think higher octane petrol such as Tesco Greenenergy and Shell Vpower will remain E5 (for now!)

All - E10 fuel - alan1302

So has anyone found any "snake oil" additive to reclaim the lost ponies? And is it turbo and Cat safe?

If it's snake oil it won't ever help! LOL

All - E10 fuel - daveyjp

No need for 'snake oil'. You just need water, time and a general disregard to health and safety when handling volatile fuels!

All - E10 fuel - Andrew-T

No need for 'snake oil'. You just need water, time and a general disregard to health and safety when handling volatile fuels!

As Davey implies, you will require a very large separating funnel - say about 20 litres minimum. Add about 10 litres of E5 or E10 petrol, a couple of litres of water, and shake vigorously for a minute or so. Allow to settle out.

Drain off the lower (aqueous) layer and discard, it will contain most of the ethanol. The upper layer goes in your tank.

If you see this as a way forward, you must have a very good reason for wanting E-free petrol. And water will accumulate in your fuel tank.

All - E10 fuel - focussed

As Davey implies, you will require a very large separating funnel - say about 20 litres minimum. Add about 10 litres of E5 or E10 petrol, a couple of litres of water, and shake vigorously for a minute or so. Allow to settle out.

Drain off the lower (aqueous) layer and discard, it will contain most of the ethanol. The upper layer goes in your tank.

If you see this as a way forward, you must have a very good reason for wanting E-free petrol. And water will accumulate in your fuel tank.

That is how to do it but remember that removing the ethanol will drop the RON octane number by approximately 2.5 to 3 octanes turning your UL 95 into UL 92 or thereabouts.

Esso Ultimate UL98 does not contain ethanol even though the pumps are marked E5 because government regulations require the pump to be marked E5.

Another triumph of eco blah blah over reality.

From www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol

"Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.

There’s currently no requirement for renewable fuel, like ethanol, to be present in super unleaded petrol although this could change in the future, in which case we would comply with any new legislation"

And listen carefully to this video:-

youtu.be/wOxxPYLhBhM

Edited by focussed on 06/07/2021 at 10:07

All - E10 fuel - RT

"... actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland).

That's a very large geographical area where it's not ethanol-free, probably more than half the UK - talk about marketing BS.

Probably not marketing BS - more to do with which refinery produces it and which pipelines supply which distribution depots around the country.

Give them a call and find out?

All - E10 fuel - Gerry Sanderson

Straight from the horses mouth.

Checked with Nissan uk re this new fuel and they have advised it is ok for all Nissan vehicles made after 2000.

dvd

All - E10 fuel - Steveieb
Esso super unleaded makes most sense for lawn mowers and classic motorcycles which still use carburettor s.
Replacements for the blocked ones, which are impossible to clear cost hundreds and often write off the cheaper models.

All - E10 fuel - sammy1

You can check with the DVLA website whether your car is suitable for E10

All - E10 fuel - Galaxy

The Government website may-well say that your car can run on E10 petol.

However, whether or not it will run as well as it would on petrol that doesn't contain any ethanol will be a totally different matter!

All - E10 fuel - sammy1

"""However, whether or not it will run as well as it would on petrol that doesn't contain any ethanol will be a totally different matter!""

Very true but what do you do when the only option is this E10, go EV?

All - E10 fuel - bathtub tom

Very true but what do you do when the only option is this E10, go EV?

No, go super unleaded, which will remain E5 for now (or E free if you believe some of the forums?)

No, go super unleaded, which will remain E5 for now (or E free if you believe some of the forums?)

Yup - Today Tesco 95 RON Unleaded was E10 whereas Tesco 99 RON Greenenergy was E5.

Filled with Greenenergy, usually do anyway!

Edited by Big John on 23/07/2021 at 22:25

All - E10 fuel - sammy1

""" Yup - Today Tesco 95 RON Unleaded was E10 whereas Tesco 99 RON Greenenergy was E5.

As far as I am aware E10 is not available until September DVLA site

As far as I am aware E10 is not available until September DVLA site

Well E10 was displayed on the pump, after contributing to this thread earlier on I was looking out for it

Edited by Big John on 23/07/2021 at 22:54

All - E10 fuel - Andrew-T

<< E10 was displayed on the pump, after contributing to this thread earlier on I was looking out for it >>

As I understood it the E5 or E10 means an upper limit, not that the fuel always contains 5 or 10% ?

All - E10 fuel - RT

.As far as I am aware E10 is not available until September DVLA site

E10 is already on sale at my local Asda

All - E10 fuel - Lee Power

Similar at the local Tesco fuel station the other day.

Standard unleaded pumps where marked E10 plus had another prominent sticker saying suitable for most unleaded vehicles but please check before use.

The Momentum unleaded pumps where marked E5.

All - E10 fuel - daveyjp

Similar at Sainsburys. Their higher Octane is labelled E5 (which means it could contain up to 5% ethanol, but may not). It costs about the same as branded normal unleaded, which is far cheaper than the Vpower of this world.

All - E10 fuel - Galaxy

Last time I filled up at Sainbury's the pump was clearly marked "E10"

I don't believe that this would be permitted if the petrol wasn't as so described.

All - E10 fuel - bathtub tom

Last time I filled up at Sainbury's the pump was clearly marked "E10"

I don't believe that this would be permitted if the petrol wasn't as so described.

It means it MAY contain UP TO 10% ethanol. You could stick the label on a box of cornflakes.

All - E10 fuel - Auristocrat

Petrol retailers are required to display E10 labels on unleaded petrol pumps before September - doesn't actually mean the petrol currently on sale is E10. E10 is supposedly being introduced from September.

Esso super unleaded makes most sense for lawn mowers and classic motorcycles which still use carburettor s. Replacements for the blocked ones, which are impossible to clear cost hundreds and often write off the cheaper models.

I had a lot of trouble this year getting my Honda brushcutter with the GX 35 motor running properly to tackle the rain forest at the bottom of our garden.

Briefly, the rubber flexible fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump/carb had rotted away and cracked at the hose barb on the carb. It's always been run on the cheapest cooking petrol UL 95 - E10 as does all the rest of the garden machinery.

(We've had 10% ethanol in fuel for years here in france)

I've never seen that before on any Honda product in nearly 40 years experience with Honda products, they have always been approved by Honda for petrol containing ethanol.

Temporarily replaced with some windscreen washer pipe until I can get some suitable pipe.

No more ethanol in the petrol if I can help it!

Some rubber will be affected by E10. However I've always hated rubber as it rots anyway be it brake pipes/seals, coolant hoses , VAG vacuum pipes, brake servo pipe etc...

Some plastic pipes will degrade when exposed to ethanol and I think some metal components may/will be affected although more because ethanol is hygroscopic. This could be a nightmare for classic car owners.

All - E10 fuel - misar

For anyone worried about their mpg...

Net calorific value of Gasoline is 42.0–43.5 and ethanol 26.8–26.9 (MJ/kg)

So in theory adding 10% ethanol reduces the available energy by about 3.7%.

For anyone worried about their mpg...

Net calorific value of Gasoline is 42.0–43.5 and ethanol 26.8–26.9 (MJ/kg)

So in theory adding 10% ethanol reduces the available energy by about 3.7%.

And don't forget it also effectively weakens the mixture by about the same amount, important if it's a performance motor with a carburettor.

www.classiccarsmagazine.co.uk/blog/features/ethano.../

All - E10 fuel - Grenache

This could be a nightmare for classic car owners.

Indeed, my Austin has a short rubber hose in the petrol line. I already add a lead-replacement additive, so will probably have to use the super unleaded too and get the timing reset.

All - E10 fuel - Sebastian Jonnson

Go for a professional level petrol additive, rather than the retail types that you see in supermarkets and online.

Fueltone pro is my 'go to' . Even ahead of the change to E10, Fueltone petrol additive Octane boost and system claen has brought my ten year old TT back to life. I love it once again.