What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
JLR to crack down on poor reliability - Metropolis.
Can it be done? Can anyone recall another brand that has gone from worst to even average?

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/jaguar-land-ro...4
JLR to crack down on poor reliability - Xileno

Renault went from being quite poor with cars such as the early MK2 Laguna, Megane, Scenic to a position in recent years where they are average to good.

Current JLR boss (Bollore) is ex-Renault so maybe some hope for optimism?

JLR to crack down on poor reliability - edlithgow

Anoother link wi't past gone

JLR to crack down on poor reliability - badbusdriver

Can it be done? Can anyone recall another brand that has gone from worst to even average?

Yes it can, Jaguar did it (in the Ford years).

Granted the JD Power survey is not just about reliability, it is about the more broad spectrum of consumer satisfaction, but reliability is inevitably a big part of that. Jaguar went from a poor performer to being right up alongside Lexus over the course over a fairly short period of time. Of course they have not maintained that level, and I'm not sure how long that high point lasted, but it is proof that it can be done.

Whether or not it is achievable in this case?. Maybe, but IMO unlikely. Why?, because JLR trade on the image and desirability of their products. In order to keep that, especially the image part, they have to have the latest gadgets (gimmicks?). And in order to get them into the cars, it is likely that testing has not been as rigorous as it should be resulting in niggly electrical issues which may in turn result in a car which won't actually go.

JLR to crack down on poor reliability - RT
Can it be done? Can anyone recall another brand that has gone from worst to even average? www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/jaguar-land-ro...4

Skoda is an example

JLR to crack down on poor reliability - badbusdriver

Skoda is an example

Old Skoda's were not unreliable, that is just a myth perpetuated by the jokes people like Jasper Carrot made a living out of.

They were actually very sturdy cars, just look at how well the rear engined machines (the butt of Carrot's jokes) did on the rally circuits. Yes, the quality of the cars dropped from the 70's through to the VW takeover, but quality and reliability are not the same thing.

Edited by badbusdriver on 05/07/2021 at 13:06

JLR to crack down on poor reliability - _

Anyone remeber the original Kia rio 1.3 for £1 deposit...

I still see one occasionally, a bit bruised, but still going..

JLR to crack down on poor reliability - brum

A large part of the perception of reliability is down to the attitudes and (lack of) capability of the dealers. Also the broader issue of the network support and attitudes to goodwill and warranty.

A lot of dealers and distributors have the idea that they are somehow elite, and customers are there to be milked. Many refuse point blank to listen to customers, and goodwill seems to be a rapidly vanishing concept.

My experience of Skoda is they have gone down the same path, once very good, now I'd rather not talk to them as they dismiss all my concerns and make me feel like an annoyance.

JLR to crack down on poor reliability - Marlin1

I recall my folks being skint and having unreliable cars in the late '70s. They never let us know about it though, but so many broken down British and European cars took their toll even though Dad was a reasonable mechanic.

He had to drive to his job in near Crystal Palace from home on the coast everyday and weekends.

So he decided on a newer car. He got a second hand Skoda 100R. It was much newer than the equivalent UK / European brands and lasted 6 years before he traded it in for a Nissan Cherry in 1983.

JLR to crack down on poor reliability - Metropolis.
Many interesting takes here which give some possible cause for optimism, although I am not there yet. I know they get a lot of hate, but they are closest thing to a national mainstream brand, after the loss of Rover. Brum touched on perceived reliability, I think JLR have focused too heavily on perceived quality and neglected actual quality, the interiors feel great and any road tester will mention the quality of the interior plastics to the touch (like the top of the dashboard actually matters...).
Interesting BBD mentioning Jaguar in the Ford years, I had forgotten about that when they were ranked up with Lexus for a short time, it was quite confusing for LR fanboys like me considering all the engines snd electronics were the same as in the LR products. That said, the face lifted L322 Range Rover with Ford internals (including wiring) was a huge step up from the BMW based earlier models.
Strange one really.

As a wise man on the internet opined about his Range Rover Classic, “I have never seen so many high quality parts working together so poorly”.

I would like Toyota to buy JLR, but that is not their style.

I hope the new Renault bloke stays around, these high flying execs have a habit of floating between companies but maybe we have our very own Lee Iacocca?
JLR to crack down on poor reliability - JonestHon

Toyota usually get into partnerships less so buying other makes.

As the new Boss path is less quantity and more quality, maybe reliability will be high on their agenda. Too late for the big US market where the JLR brand is at the pits due to to the Yanks ranking reliability higher than quality.