What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Renault Clio - Engine fell out of my Clio - Maya Griffiths
Hi all,

I don’t know much about cars so I’m looking for some advice...

I was driving my 2008 Clio today when there was a huge crunching noise and I lost steering. Turns out that the drive shaft has broken and the engine has fallen out- the mechanic did tell me about some bolts that have busted which were holding it in place. I’ve forgotten what they were called- sorry!

Looks like fixing it all will cost upwards of £700, but I’m aware that my car is probably only worth that so I’m trying to decide if I should cut my losses and get a new car or pay for the repairs.

I apologise for my lack of knowledge but if anyone could suggest what they think I should do in this situation I’d appreciate it.
Renault Clio - Engine fell out of my Clio - brum

Probably Engine and/or gearbox mounts

Its possible the inner bodywork is rusted to hell and the engine mounts simply became detatched.

Requires a good mechanic to check but if rust is the root cause, just scrap it or sell it on ebay for parts.

Don't waste your money welding up rusty bodywork especially anything holding your engine in.

Edited by brum on 25/06/2021 at 18:39

Renault Clio - Engine fell out of my Clio - daveyjp

Once had similar on a Mk1 Fiesta. Changing gear the whole engine bounced due to worn engine mount.

Thankfully I caught it before major damage. I still use the pry bar the mechanic left under the bonnet!