What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Lexus V's Toyota - privateinvestor

A simple question folks, what is the worth of a Lexus over a Toyota, given that they share platforms and engines - is it pure badge snobbery?

[edited subject header so it gets picked up if someone is using the search facility]

Edited by Xileno on 21/06/2021 at 08:47

Lexus V's Toyota - Falkirk Bairn

Bulk of new Toyota models in UK <£30K

Bulk of new Lexus >£40K

In the middle are Camry & ES - same underpinnings, engine, gbox - Lexus plusher, quieter- both sell in limited numbers

RAV4 & NX as with ES

Lexus V's Topyota - badbusdriver

Not sure how much direct comparison there is between the two?. No Lexus equivalent to the Aygo, Yaris and imminent Yaris Cross. Seeing as the UK no longer gets the Lexus CT200H, there is no direct Lexus equivalent to the Corolla Hatchback (none for the Corolla estate either). Looking at Lexus website, we also no longer get the IS compact saloon, which might have overlapped the Corolla saloon.

The SUV's may well share underpinnings, but they have very different styling. I can't really see someone thinking of a Lexus RX also looking at a Toyota Highlander for example.

As far as I can see looking at the respective ranges, there is only the Toyota Camry vs the Lexus ES where there is a high likelihood of someone looking at and considering both cars. And between those two, I'd take the Camry as I think it looks better.

Edited by badbusdriver on 21/06/2021 at 07:55

Lexus V's Topyota - London calling

Agree and the NX looks nothing like the rave 4 from the outside or inside…

Lexus V's Toyota - mcb100
TNGA (Toyota New Generation Architecture) is the acronym for this one. Like every manufacturer, economies of scale are key, and having a modular platform that can be extended and compressed to underpin multiple sizes of cars is the way forward.
Wikipedia sums it up pretty well - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_New_Global_Architectu...e
Lexus V's Toyota - MGspannerman

It is a well established way of sweating the manufacturing assets to cover as much of the market as possible - Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti and of course Volkswagen, there are others of course. Hence you might see a Dacia Duster in one market and a Renault Duster in another. Toyota too swap labels on their products depending on the market. My brother in law living in Kenya had a Toyota Harrier, that we otherwise knew as a Lexus RX300.

The trick here is brand credibility, how far can you stretch a brand before the public perception breaks down. Ford are the classic middle of the road brand, and the aim to sell upmarket Granadas etc didn't cut it against BMW etc. So they went out and bought Jaguar in order to play in that market, but their DNA is cost management and they put a jaguar skin on a Mondeo and in the process badly affected the value and perception of the Jaguar brand.

Personally I am a great fan of Toyota thanks to their quality and reliability. They don't necessarily excel in any one area - price, luxury, handling etc but put it all together and they are great value for money.

I think they have just played a blinder with their offer of a ten year warranty provided you have your vehicle serviced at Toyota. They will know how reliable their cars are and can now play the value game. Drivers value and are prepared to pay, one way or another, for the warranty but Toyota know that on average it wont cost them much or anything.

Thanks to this new initiative I am now actively considering swapping my Toyota for a Lexus who offer this as well. With a ten year warranty the threat of big bills of Lexus proportions is significantly reduced.

Lexus V's Toyota - Will deBeast

>> My brother in law living in Kenya had a Toyota Harrier, that we otherwise knew as a Lexus RX300.

Yes, my 2007 Toyota Landcruiser was sold in the USA as a GX470.

Very similar, except the americans got a lovely petrol engine, rather than the diesel we had in the UK.

Lexus V's Toyota - Catfood

I think Lexus tends to get extra things over standard Toyota, such as, separate assembly line with the workers with more experience who also paid extra, extra layer of paint, machined door hinge rather than pressed steel hinge, extra sound proofing, better sound system, different grade of material inside & outside etc.....

Lexus V's Toyota - John F

With a ten year warranty the threat of big bills of Lexus proportions is significantly reduced.......

.......but the certainty of ten big bills for an obligatory annual service is guaranteed. (I wonder what Lexus dealers charge for screenwash, pollen and air filters ;-)

Lexus V's Toyota - sammy1

Compare Audi to Skoda. Both 20reg 6k miles 1.5 DSG A1 price £23k Skoda Octavia £15k

In my opinion a ridiculous price difference 50% more for the Audi. This is not a one off comparison the Octavia is a really good value car

Like Toyota, their service costs are published on their website. Obviously an issue to take into consideration when considering a purchase. However I believe their extended warranty was something in the order of £795 for two years, so obviously a significant saving there.

If it is like Toyota, which I cant help but think it is, then all screen wash etc is included. Any additional service items over and above the schedule, such as brake pads, are quoted for on the invoice. I had a pair of tyres for my wife's car at the last main dealer service and the price was very much in line with other providers.

I have a two year warranty on my current Toyota that cost £495, including two free MOTs and breakdown cover. I can cash that in for a pro rata refund when I next have a service as the terms of the extended warranty will apply. However I will lose my 20% discount for a vehicle over five years old that they used to offer.

Lexus V's Toyota - bathtub tom
If it is like Toyota, which I cant help but think it is, then all screen wash etc is included.

I was charged for screenwash when I had my Toyota serviced at a main dealer and I'd filled it the previous evening - they refill it after testing the washers sir. They also charged for a key fob battery which wasn't on the service list items. They lost my custom.

Never been charged myself, however not all dealers are the same and I guess we have all been frustrated by the squeezing of revenue in this way at some time or another. My local one is excellent, but I would never go back to another a little further away, part of a large and well known group. Not just this dealer but the group itself will never get my business again.

Lexus V's Toyota - Metropolis.
From what I can gather, all Lexus vehicles are made in Japan so quality is allegedly better vs a Toyota made abroad.
Lexus V's Toyota - Steveieb
We know from Honda owners that Jazz quality is best from Japan or China with Swindon coming third.
But how do Toyota s from Burnaston and Turkey compare with Japan?

how do Toyota s from Burnaston and Turkey compare with Japan?

Dunno, mine was built in France.

Lexus V's Toyota - Xileno

With all the factory automation, why does it make any difference where the vehicle is assembled?

I wouldn't consider a French car, with their electrical peccadillos and was most disappointed to find my Yaris was built there. However, it's been fine (so far).

I've had a Fiat that was built by SEAT to a very high standard and similarly, a KIA that was a Mazda/Ford.

Lexus V's Toyota - Will deBeast

A simple question folks, what is the worth of a Lexus over a Toyota, given that they share platforms and engines - is it pure badge snobbery?

[edited subject header so it gets picked up if someone is using the search facility]

What time is it on your Timex
Answer
Same time as your Rolex

I'm not into fashion and badges. I just want my car to be reliable, comfortable to drive and to not cost me too much in repairs.

I tend to buy Japanese or South Korean.

Currently have a 10-year old mazda mx-5 (£65 + 4 hours of my labour in repairs to date). 3-year old Civic (zero). 5-year old Sorento (zero).

Speaking to relatives who worked at Honda Swindon, the difference in quality between Japanese built and overseas is the local sourcing of components.
The classic example was the run away Honda Civics where the handbrake assembly was locally sourced and the ratchet mechanism was out of kilter.
Similarly Honda Swindon bought the paint locally rather than buy the more expensive Japanese company paint even after they had set up specially near the plant.
Lexus V's Toyota - JonestHon

We have the 2010 Mk2 1.33 French built Yaris and also a 2010 UK made T27 Avensis 1.8.

Can't say I see any differences in built quality, both are very rugged and cost peanuts to run.

We rented a MK3 Yaris for 3 month in Japan in 2015 for work and I can't say there was any noticeable differences in build quality though the Japanese example had a slightly bigger motor in it.

Had the pleasure in getting a lift to work in a Lexus IS250 and this was noticeably quieter but felt as good as the Toyotas.

Lexus V's Toyota - Alby Back
Does it always have to be about the money?

If you just want transport, or like saving money, or don't have much to spare, then get something basic and practical. But, if you love cars, like nice ones, and can afford it, then get something that pleases you by those, sdmittedly much more vacuous criteria.

We have been lucky enough to have been born in a very unique era. A time when it was possible to access really good personal transport, and until relatively recently, in an only mildly regulated set of circumstances.

What came before was lack of opportunity, and what will come after will be a lack of freedom of choice.

We all only get to live for a finite amount of time, and I intend to enjoy that time while I can. One of those enjoyable things, for me anyway, will include having nice cars I don't really need, because I can and because I want to.

That's ok isn't it?

;-)

"We all only get to live for a finite amount of time, and I intend to enjoy that time while I can. One of those enjoyable things, for me anyway, will include having nice cars I don't really need, because I can and because I want to."

Spot on, I hate it when people tell me 'but do you need a car that big?" or "do you even need a car?" The answer to those questions is probably no. But thankfully we are in a free capitalist society where we can have what we desire so long as it is within our means.

I think Lexus are worth the money, they have shown it is possible to be luxurious, high tech AND reliable.

Lexus V's Toyota - Alby Back

"We all only get to live for a finite amount of time, and I intend to enjoy that time while I can. One of those enjoyable things, for me anyway, will include having nice cars I don't really need, because I can and because I want to."

Spot on, I hate it when people tell me 'but do you need a car that big?" or "do you even need a car?" The answer to those questions is probably no. But thankfully we are in a free capitalist society where we can have what we desire so long as it is within our means.

I think Lexus are worth the money, they have shown it is possible to be luxurious, high tech AND reliable.

I have regretted buying cars that were too small in the past, or to be more accurate, ones that have insufficient load space for my needs and wants, but I've never regretted buying ones that were too big. Large estate cars are the sweet spot for me, no matter how much I'd really like something sexier. ;-)
Lexus V's Toyota - SLO76
Have to say I prefer the more honest Toyota offerings to Lexus, ditto Skoda and VW to Audi. Often to make a premium brand manufacturers add bling and gadgetry to differentiate them. I think Lexus have lost their way since the original LS400 which was all about understated quality and refinement. I dislike the styling of their latest cars, they’re trying too hard to be be “premium” via quirky styling.

100% agree on the styling front SLO. The LS400 was beautiful in its simplicity. I don't think it would sell so well now though, not that the LS500h does now.. the ES is not a bad looker, shame we lost the GS in the process.

Lexus V's Toyota - nellyjak

100% agree on the styling front SLO. The LS400 was beautiful in its simplicity. I don't think it would sell so well now though, not that the LS500h does now.. the ES is not a bad looker, shame we lost the GS in the process.

Me too.!...The LS400 was and still is one of my absolute fave barges...I've hung my nose over one for years and never quite "got there" ...the last of the model (around 1999/2000) in particular was thought to be just about the best car ever made.

Lexus V's Toyota - London calling

I like quirky styling

Edited by London calling on 23/06/2021 at 09:21

Can anyone explain what went wrong with the Ls220D which gets terrible reviews on Reliabilty and driving experiences

Even the French have taken the Corolla to their heart !

https://youtu.be/2QkG0GU8HkI

Lexus V's Toyota - madf

Can anyone explain what went wrong with the Ls220D which gets terrible reviews on Reliabilty and driving experiences

Toyota dropped several passes with the 220D engine.

Basically they got the engine design wrong: rectification included new injectors, sometimes new pistons etc..

Bargepole job.

Lexus V's Toyota - Heidfirst

personally I would say that:

1) they got the gearing wrong (at least for the UK market)

2) they sold it to people whose driving was not suitable for a modern, emission-equipped, common-rail turbodiesel. Consequently those fouled up with carbon, didn't regenerate DPFs etc..

It's the same 2.2 engine as in the Avensis so, yes, there were a few design/production issues for the first few years but those were resolved in production by ~2009 & being a Toyota they were fixed for free (incl. some replacement engines) subject to meeting certain parameters (servicing, mileage/age).

Lexus V's Toyota - Falkirk Bairn

At least Toyota put their hand up and fixed/replaced the engines foc

Unlike VW DSG autos, ABS brakes,

Ford Powershift autos, 3 cylinder engines,