Ford Fiesta titanium - Coolant loss on ford fiesta. - jowan*

Coolant loss on 2010 ford fiesta. Head gasket done, cambelt and water pump changed. If I drive to work and go at 70 when I stop, and then get back in it 30 mins later it won't start. Check coolant and below add line. Top it up wait for it to cool and will eventually start. No coolant patches on floor no smoking. Head is fine no cracks. At a loss. I bought it and found out head gasket issues. Prior I had cambelt change along with the water pump. Now I seem to be driving it less as I don't trust it.

Edited by jowan* on 14/06/2021 at 07:36

Ford Fiesta titanium - Coolant loss on ford fiesta. - edlithgow

Sorry to state the obvious, but if you are losing coolant, its either leaking externally, blowing out of the reservoir (a special case of leaking externally) or leaking into the oilways, exhaust or combustion space. There don't seem to be any other possibilities.

On a single trip it would be possible that you weren't losing coolant since displacement of an air or combustion gas pocket could cause the level to fall, but that wouldn't be sustainable for multiple top ups unless there was coolant loss

Ford Fiesta titanium - Coolant loss on ford fiesta. - Railroad.

You may be barking up the wrong tree here believing the problem is cooling system related. It might not be at all. Is the engine showing signs of anything that makes you suspect it's overheating? Could you also be more specific when you say it won't start? What exactly happens when you turn the key to start it?

It turns over but won't start. It's a stop start keyless. It has a egr eml light comes on but the egr valve is clean. When they did the head gasket that was checked.

Edited by jowan* on 18/06/2021 at 17:47

Ford Fiesta titanium - Coolant loss on ford fiesta. - Andrew-T

The heater circuit hasn't been mentioned so far.

Ford Fiesta titanium - Coolant loss on ford fiesta. - edlithgow

The heater circuit hasn't been mentioned so far.

External leak covers it, I think

Perhaps a leak there would be less noticable, but you would probably notice the sickly, bunt toast smell of coolant inside the car.

Edited by edlithgow on 14/06/2021 at 22:44

Surely I would have a wet carpet damp smell or condensate. I don't have any of that. Had compression test today and all cylinders firing fine at same levels. No coolant smell or toast smell.

Edited by jowan* on 18/06/2021 at 17:45

Ford Fiesta titanium - Coolant loss on ford fiesta. - bathtub tom

Who did the head gasket? Shouldn't you be asking them?

I work at a garage. An they did it, it's been in there for 3 weeks now. Obviously not working on it that long. We have replaces everything new on head gasket replacement. Anyone thing it's something to do with engine block. But I am only getting coolant loss, its not smoking out of exhaust.

Ford Fiesta titanium - Coolant loss on ford fiesta. - Bolt

I work at a garage. An they did it, it's been in there for 3 weeks now. Obviously not working on it that long. We have replaces everything new on head gasket replacement. Anyone thing it's something to do with engine block. But I am only getting coolant loss, its not smoking out of exhaust.

Did they do cylinder head check, ie pressure check for cracks and check for warps in the head ie check if its still flat ?

Yes they did it was sent off to be tested came back with no cracks,, it was skimmed. Just replaced reservoir as fed up with the stained one. Now thats starting to turn black, it looks like it's blowing out of back of reservoir tank. Drained coolant from radiator there is a slight oil film on top.

Ford Fiesta titanium - Coolant loss on ford fiesta. - John F

Mileage? I'd guess it had HGF long before you bought it which stained the reservoir. I'd also guess the previous owner didn't notice coolant loss and seriously overheated it. If a skimmed head and fresh gasket hasn't cured it, there's probably a tiny crack somewhere. Is the oil mayonnaisey?

Ford Fiesta titanium - Coolant loss on ford fiesta. - Bolt

Yes they did it was sent off to be tested came back with no cracks,, it was skimmed. Just replaced reservoir as fed up with the stained one. Now thats starting to turn black, it looks like it's blowing out of back of reservoir tank. Drained coolant from radiator there is a slight oil film on top.

Was the engine block checked for cracks or any signs of being warped, usualy the first thing checked after the head is removed in case its warped, as if the temp is extreme it can warp the head and block, if that happens it will mean a replacement engine.

I meant to ask that before but its unusual to find a warped/cracked block unless the overheating is extreme, which it could have been?- not unknown to happen