What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Warranties from car supermarkets - Lgd
I am looking at buying a new Focus from either Motorpoint or Trade Sales.

Having spoken to both I am still a bit in the dark regarding the Ford warranty and how it applies to cars purchased via this route.

Basically - will I get the same 3 year Ford warranty I would get from a dealership? Can anyone who has bought a Ford from either of these let me know.

Warranties from car supermarkets - Dan J
As I believe it works you'll get the full 12 months manufacturers warranty from Ford from date of registration however the remaining 2 years are provided via dealers for cars "sourced from Ford Motor Company Limited". Same thing applies with Vauxhalls and I guess most other manufacturers.

You don't get something for nothing!
Warranties from car supermarkets - DavidHM
Simple answer, is maybe. Strictly speaking, the manufacturer's warranty is only one year (I think) and the remaining two years are a no cost option - so check that it has it. I'm not sure if this has been changed by an EC directive that apparently requires two years' manufacturer's warranty on all new cars; my parents' UK Focus may have been ordered with an old form.

A car that is less than one year old and has covered less than 12,500 miles (or whatever is due before the first service) and that has not been imported - i.e., supplied by a UK Ford dealer, will almost certainly have the three year warranty.

If the car has not been serviced by a Ford dealer in time, you will not be able to get the second and third year's warranty.

As you are buying new though, you will probably find that the cars in question are imports. Be very careful to make sure that the car is exactly to UK spec (not all are). Some cars, particularly with Motorpoint, may be UK pre-registered and come with the full three years' warranty, but most will only have two years' manufacturer's warranty.

In neither case will you be the car's first registered keeper but the actual mileage is tiny.
Warranties from car supermarkets - looking4car
Take a look at Drivethedeal

They seem to act as an 'introduction agency' putting you in touch with a main dealer who will offer a discount but will be a UK car with full warranty.

Never used them myself but they've been mentioned here in the backroom and by HJ himself in the news section.

Pop drivethedeal into the search box on the homepage and follow one of the links.
Warranties from car supermarkets - looking4car
UKcarbroker are worth looking at too.
Warranties from car supermarkets - DavidHM
On the subject, www.jamjar.com have new Focus 1.6 Zetecs 5 door for £10295 including metallic. Climate pack is extra and worth having if you ever want to sell the car...

Also, never used them and never mentioned on the site, but there are some good prices from www.carhound.com and www.newregcars.co.uk if you want UK warranty.
Warranties from car supermarkets - A Dent{P}
I thought Ford had a two year pan european warrantee, am I wrong in this?
That means if you bought an Irish import from TSL you would need to buy the third year if you wanted it.
Our new 51 plate Focus and now nearly 4000 miles 10 months old will be out of warrantee with the first service if not. Better phone them up I think.
Warranties from car supermarkets - LongDriver {P}
Prior to ordering an imported unregistered Galaxy from Motorpoint, I called Ford UK Customer Services to confirm the warranty from their point of view.

Motorpoint advised that it was 2 years.

Ford UK confirmed that, as long as the vehicle has been imported from an EC country, it has a 2 year, 40000 mile warranty. Mine is from Belgium, so I'm OK.

You can purchase an aftermarket warranty to extend this if you want.

My 40000 mile warranty will only last me 12 months anyway - similarly a Ford warranty for a UK-supplied car would only last me 18 months...C'est la vie!!

Some Motorpoint cars are imported from Cyprus or Malta (as they have right hand drive as standard). Such vehicles will have an insurance-based 12 month warranty provided by Motorpoint (I think!).

In conclusion - if you do a LOW mileage, the warranty period is probably more important than it is for a HIGH mileage driver like me - in my case, warranties are over in a flash!!!

Warranties from car supermarkets - googolplex
I can vouch for the fact that my warranty is 2 years, having bought a new Mondeo from Trade Sales. However, you have to be a bit careful because the cars are pre-registered and that meant for me that the warranty actually began 4 months before I actually purchased the car. A bit sneaky but its still worth saving over 5K on.
Splodgeface
Warranties from car supermarkets - A Dent{P}
"you have to be a bit careful because the cars are pre-registered"
Yes, ours was two days old:).
I checked the VIN out with a franchised dealer and it is indeed two years. I also learnt that the second year will not cover interior trim, i.e. seats, steering wheel etc. I suppose there would be too many wear and tear claims at 23 months old if it did cover trims.