What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Latest SMMT Figures - mcb100

SMMT published headlines - Total vehicles in use on UK roads falls to 40.35m units – the first drop since 2009. Average age of car rises to 8.4 years old – the oldest on record – with almost 10m vehicles from 2008 and earlier still in service. Vans reach historic highs, up to 4.6m, but declines recorded in truck, bus and coach numbers. Number of BEVs and PHEVs increase by more than 168,000 cars, but account for just 1.3% of the parc – demonstrating scale of task ahead to meet ambitious green targets. If anyone is interested in reading the full article, it’s here - www.smmt.co.uk/2021/05/britains-cars-getting-older.../

[slight amendment to the subject header to make it a bit more specific]

Edited by Xileno on 24/05/2021 at 10:04

Latest SMMT Figures - RGCRob

Why the drop in vehicles in use? Have people SORN'ed them due to lockdown or working from home? Surely there can't be that many people no longer in need of a vehicle?

Edited by Xileno on 24/05/2021 at 10:03

Latest SMMT Figures - mcb100
Maybe lots of people gone from two to one. We’ve still got two, but they haven’t been in simultaneous use for probably a year…
Latest Figures - Sulphur Man

There could be many people no longer in need of a vehicle.

1. Cost - too expensive to run a car, especially if trying to save for a house or pay rent.

2. Car isnt being used much - bicycles,e-bikes are a better bet.

3. Storage - Lack of parking space for many, stress of trying to find one, and hold onto it..

4. The sheer, teeth-gnashing, joyless frustration of driving in the UK. There is no joy in it, unless one is ready to get up at 4am and drive to a Welsh mountain pass like road magazine road testers do.

5. Emission zone charges, especially London.

6. Supermarket and home deliveries. For many (too many) the car does shopping duties. With the wider availability of home delivery now, it's one less reason to keep it.

7. Depreciation - a car sitting outside 90% of the time doing nothing but haemorrhage money, either by leasing/PCP or capital loss. (see point 1)

Don't worry, I'm not anti-car. But the scales have long fallen from my eyes. I have an ultra-reliable Honda which cost £4k and some nice bicycles. I'll cycle all my short journeys and use the car for things a car is still good at - long journeys to specific places, transporting people and stuff, trips to the tip etc.

I'm convinced that the pointless charge to fill cars with multiple high definition screens (which provide no clear benefit over, say, a 5-series BMW dashboard from 20 yrs ago) is to distract drivers from the realty of car ownership. Something to play with.

Moreover, why should the figure increase exponentially - that is unsustainable.

Edited by Sulphur Man on 24/05/2021 at 10:25

Latest Figures - Andrew-T

There could be many people no longer in need of a vehicle.

1. Cost - too expensive to run a car, especially if trying to save for a house or pay rent.

I understand that many 'new' drivers - school-leavers, students - have little interest in owning a car. Some have had lessons or passed a test, but others can't be bothered to do that.

Latest SMMT Figures - Xileno

28% of UK cars over 12 years old - that surprised me.

Rise in light vans expected, as people increasingly shop on-line.

Edited by Xileno on 24/05/2021 at 10:03

Latest SMMT Figures - movilogo

Average age of car rises to 8.4 years old

28% of UK cars over 12 years old

These stats surprised me! I thought buying latest motor is the fashion.

The sheer, teeth-gnashing, joyless frustration of driving in the UK.

Compared to many other countries in the world, driving in UK is still a pleasure (London & big towns excluded).

Car use should go up after pandemics as many will try to avoid public transport.

Latest SMMT Figures - Sulphur Man

"Compared to many other countries in the world, driving in UK is still a pleasure (London & big towns excluded)."

I'm sure there is some pleasure, but the vast majority of the time, it isnt.

It's a lot of financial hit for a few fleeting moments when a road opens up somewhere pretty on a sunny spring day. Perhaps the best is to plan for those moments, and hire the right car to do it justice. Got to be cheaper than owning.

Latest SMMT Figures - Engineer Andy

28% of UK cars over 12 years old - that surprised me.

Rise in light vans expected, as people increasingly shop on-line.

TBH, as an owner of a car in that group, it actually wasn't a surprise to me - these cars are from the 'sweet spot' period of high reliability/durability and prices being very competitive due to oversupply and the £ being higher in value.

I paid just over £10k for my (essentially new) car in early 2006; now, a very similar specced car would cost (even after discount, which I didn't get as it was from a car supermarket) in the region of £20k.

Would I like to replace it with something with more oomph, sure, but I'm not breaking the bank, especially in the times we have been living over the past decade (especially now onwards) and my existing car still works just fine and doesn't cost me a fortune to keep on the road.

I suspect that this trend will continue (rather like the number of OAPs), with the average age of cars increasing and a larger percentage of them being on the road.

Latest SMMT Figures - barney100

Maybe the EV buyers have thinned out naturally. The people who want and can afford one will probably be a lot less now. 1 in 4 cars 2008 and before is interesting. We are at time of great change in motoring so I for one am going to do nothing and see what happens with Evs.

Latest SMMT Figures - movilogo

House price has overtaken income rise. There were some predictions that as people spend more on housing, there would be less money available for other purchases.

Since a car is an expensive purchase, wonder whether higher house price led to popularity of buying older (= cheaper) cars.

Many people drive cars they can't afford unless buying (= renting?) via PCP route.

With furlough coming to an end may be lot more cars will flood used market and hence price may fall for newish used cars.