What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Weight distribution - - not just front /back but side to side? - John F

Much theoretical attention is given to the design and fine tuning of a car's weight distribution and suspension. Considering that most cars have only one occupant for most of its mileage, is any allowance made for the unbalancing effect of a body weight of around 75kg on one side of the car? Are they designed so that there is slightly more weight over the passenger side wheels? The lighter the car, the more important this should be.

Weight distribution - - not just front /back but side to side? - Lee Power

Have a look under / up the wheel arch of the front of your 2008 for coloured bands on the springs - that's how Peugeot identify the differences between spring rates across model ranges of factory fitted coil springs.

If there both colour banded the same then the answer is no.

Weight distribution - - not just front /back but side to side? - badbusdriver

Considering that most cars have only one occupant for most of its mileage, is any allowance made for the unbalancing effect of a body weight of around 75kg on one side of the car? Are they designed so that there is slightly more weight over the passenger side wheels?

Wouldn't think so.

But even on a small car, I can't imagine a 75kg driver on one side of it would make any meaningful difference. Small cars are not actually that light, our Suzuki Ignis, while very light compared to most cars, still weighs 865kg. 75kg on top of that is a fraction more than 8.5%.

A Reliant Robin weighed under 500kg, and only had one front wheel, with the engine right behind it. So it was already going to be unstable in the corners, but with a 75kg driver over to the right, left hand corners are inevitably going to be, "interesting"!. On a similar vein, but more in keeping with the question, the Bond Bug(!) had* rear suspension of a design which did adjust the weight distribution for being 'one up'. It was a fairly rudimentary setup where, with just the driver, the rear right of the car moved 'inboard' slightly.

*I say had because I remember reading an article about them many years ago which mentioned the rear suspension. But can't find any mention of it now, including on a Bond cars website, and a Reliant one.

Edited by badbusdriver on 14/05/2021 at 18:34

Weight distribution - - not just front /back but side to side? - bathtub tom

Most European cars have the engine on the RH side to compensate for being driven solo, with the driver on the LH side. I had a Panda that had spacers on the front RHS suspension for the UK market.

Subsequently, I never bother about all this BS of matching springs and dampers across sides.

Weight distribution - - not just front /back but side to side? - Metropolis.

On a Land Rover discovery 2 the front coil springs are handed (and a whole myriad of different spring rates available from factory, too!). I think it is for the weight of the driver? The rear was on bags so they were self-levelling.

Weight distribution - - not just front /back but side to side? - Terry W

Bear in mind that the "dis-balance" is not 75kg hanging on the door handle, but 75kg sitting in the centre of the drivers side - approx 35cm from the centre line.

Assuming a track of 180cm, the weight on the drivers side would be ~60kg and passenger side ~15kg - a difference of 45kg.

Not such a big deal if one assumes the vehicle without people weighs in at 1200kg evenly spread from side to side.

Weight distribution - - not just front /back but side to side? - Andrew-T

Not such a big deal if one assumes the vehicle without people weighs in at 1200kg evenly spread from side to side.

And I doubt that the major mass - engine plus transmission - has its centre of gravity on the centre-line of the vehicle either, at least on a transverse engine vehicle. But on a fore-and-aft setup there will be some angular momentum tending to rotate the car as well ?