What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Sterling 825 anyone? - Metropolis.
Thought ORB might enjoy this review! The US market Rover 800.

youtu.be/fpJJZWwgkQE
Sterling 825 anyone? - Xileno

My favourite was the 827 Fastback or the 2.0 Turbo.

Sterling 825 anyone? - RT

The original 825 was considered gutless at launch, no low-down torque when "all" sixes are supposed to have good torque so not one of Honda's finest engines - soon replaced by the bigger engine in the 827.

Sterling had an appalling reputation for reliability in the USA - with Rover setting up a "handbuilt" rectification centre in California because of so many rejected cars.

Edited by RT on 13/05/2021 at 14:07

Sterling 825 anyone? - Xileno

"...with Rover setting up a "handbuilt" rectification centre in California because of so many rejected cars."

It's always amazed me why a manufacturer would go to all that expense and hassle. Why not just build the things properly or if they're unwilling or unable to do that, then conduct any post-build checks at Longbridge?

Low down torque isn't really traditional for v6 engines, inline 6's yes. Perhaps someone could explain the reasons for that. 2.5 is quite a small engine in the scheme of things but very 90s Japanese (ok, this is 1987).

The review itself is actually very favourable, other than the slow 0-60 time of the automatic. The electronically reclining rear seat is a cool feature, not sure if we got that in the UK?

A company that has to have finishing departments set up in California suggests a lack of interdepartmental cooperation "if you won't fix it in Longbridge I will have to in Cali!", ridiculous.

Motorweek appeared to have such hope for this car, the ingredients seemed right.

Sterling 825 anyone? - SLO76
Had I bit of a soft spot for these big cars, not just for the money I made flogging them either. New they made little sense but used they were great value and an easy sale if strategically parked next to a basic Cavalier Mk III at similar age and money. The reputation for poor reliability was largely unfounded too beyond some of the early cars. Other than a few inoperative electric window switches and wonky central locking we rarely had any bother with them especially the Mk II’s from 1992.

The V6’s were pretty rare, largely because the much cheaper 2.0 injections went well enough especially the 16v versions. The seats were great and they were better on fuel than a Granada despite being quicker. But past 100,000 miles they started to get loose and tatty. The one to have was the plush but not overly complex or costly 820 SLi while the VM 2.5 turbo diesels and carb fed 820 base model were best avoided.

I think the design has aged very well www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202103230484310?p...1

The Mk II Vitesse seemed pretty pointless. It was no sports car despite the badges and less comfortable sports seats. They wallowed and the steering with absolutely numb but the engine pulled well. If you could’ve had the 2.0 turbo motor with the SL or Sterling spec that would’ve been jolly. The smaller 600 made a better fist of it with the 620ti using an updated version of the same engine mixed with a dose of Honda quality.

Edited by SLO76 on 13/05/2021 at 19:19

Admittedly the sporty versions are not my cup of tea, but that one is the only one on autotrader currently. My preferred version of any vehicle is largest engine, highest spec and softest/plushest setup. Avoiding hatchback versions where possible as marginally more refinement in a saloon.

Sterling 825 anyone? - badbusdriver

I remember valeting an 827 Sterling Coupe once. Quite a machine, in dark non metallic green. The interior was really special, with cream leather and dark green piping.

I’ve found that often, the pick of the range isn’t the top spec model but one somewhere in the middle. In the case of the Rover 800, it didn’t have the handling capability or the traction to cope with any real power going through those front wheels. I found the V6’s and turbos largely wasted with the much cheaper 2.0 16v petrols being less nose heavy and sweeter driving in most regards. The V6’s all lacked low speed pull, even the later 2.7 and in most day to day driving the 2.0 wouldn’t really be much slower.

Depends on your priorities I guess. I just love wafting! Although, for some reason, I really like the sound of those old 4cylinder engines paired to tall-geared 4 speed automatics, something about that drone you get at town speeds is just super.

Can't help thinking the 800 series was not the car Rover wanted to make. It looked good, but the sleek front and compact honda suspension design forced them away from their favoured long-travel suspension setup. I do still like them though! If only Honda could have taken over Rover not the asset stripping BMW.