What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mondeo PowerShift - Higher Mileage Car - barneybee

I'm looking for some advise please about a car I'm considering...

A relative is considering selling his Mondeo TDCI (2017) as he needs something greener for his mainly motorway commute to London. The car is an AWD Vignale edition and as far as I know has been maintained to schedule, however despite it's age it has covered 80,000 miles and has a PowerShift auto box. I believe these 'boxes need servicing to schedule to remain relaible. My main concern is around the gearbox (even if it has had the oil changes to schedule, which I would confirm before commiting to buying it), is it a valid concern or am I being parnoid?

Mondeo PowerShift - Higher Mileage Car - _

Google poershift problems.

Fords own engineers said it was not ready before it was launched,.

Do you feel lucky?

I wouldn't !

Mondeo PowerShift - Higher Mileage Car - badbusdriver

No you are not being paranoid, personally, I wouldn't unless very cheap!. Not sure how or if the Ford DCT compares with the VAG DSG box, in which the smaller cars get a less robust `dry clutch` version, whereas more powerful petrol and diesel models get the stronger (though still not infallible) `wet clutch` version.

If your relative has owned it since new, and if you know he drives sensibly, and assuming it has had the proper service schedule, it might be worth a punt.

But even then..............!

Mondeo PowerShift - Higher Mileage Car - Metropolis.
Valid concern? Yes. BUT, that is high mileage for a 2017 which suggests motorway use. That is easy for the gearbox as it just sits on top gear most of the time, so better than a power shift used in stop start city traffic every day. Also quite a late version of the power shift. If you get a good price on it I think it would be worth a gamble. But it is still a gamble.
Mondeo PowerShift - Higher Mileage Car - catsdad

Looking on Autotrader these have surprisingly high asking prices. For that age and mileage £12.5 k seems to be the norm with one low mileage example nearly £20k.

If these prices are a achievable if the worst came to the worst, needing a reconditioned gearbox would not write the car off. On the other hand if you buy below these prices, and the gearbox survives, then you are quids in.

Mondeo PowerShift - Higher Mileage Car - Lee Power

Ford apprantly tweaked / improved the Power Shift transmission in late 2016 to try & cure the earlier issues.

That high mileage would point to a lot of cruising on motorways, as long as it has a full service history, is in good condition & drives ok it could be worth a punt.

There will likely be a specalist somewhere in the country that could fix the Power Shift if it went wrong.

A car like this would be a keeper, its not something you buy with future resale in mind.